LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    watch the surf film the coconut technique, those guys can do what they want

hallf you guys are closed minded

Quote Originally Posted by patgeds22 View Post
    hallf you guys are closed minded
    why sure you can pump a lb. also helps w/respect to lb's to understand that EVERY SQUARE INCH of
    the deck can/should be used. dif w/sb. also if you want to get it to really fly try high speed 'angle-in'
    takeoffs. thats where your board is almost parallel to the beach and speed gains the wave.

Images
    Yeah man, to each their own. But to the original thought, yes, any board that we surf can be "pumped" and as much as some people don't want to admit it, even the most stylistic single fin throwback cats use some form of it. To me, its more of a foot shuffle than a traditional shortboard pump. Cross stepping your feet up a few inches each, then hopping them back again. So its more foot work, than ankle tweeking or pumping as it were. But with that being said, there was a handful of times in my last really good LB session on Tuesday, where I was in fact generating speed using traditional pumping. I actually followed most of these instances with a big floater or a hit off the approaching lip, all of which are maneuvers that some old retro guys probably think have no place in a 9'3" board... But that is just me. I will try and nose ride when the opportunity presents itself.

But my style is my style. I don't worry about the translation or influences of the board I am on, I let my mind and my style dictate what happens next, and if its a few pumps into a nice long floater on a 9'3, then that's what it is.

Free your mind. If you saw any of the throwback guys in Clemmy's post riding a more substantial beach break or a faster, longer point, they most CERTAINLY would display some pumping down the line. It's a little easier to hold your line and style in place when it's high tide at an incredible slow rolling reef pass, where the wave is not that of consequence and danger is insignificant.

Tell those dudes to drop in at 6-8 foot pipe on those single fin nose riders and I bet you would see some cats pumping their as$es off trying to get out of the barrel. But again, you may ask, why on earth would they ride those boards in that situation... I hear you there. I am just saying. With their rationale, they would just trade in the 9'6 noserider for the 7'0 single fin Gerry with a lightening bolt and head back out.

Sometimes nonconformity is actually the paramount of conformity itself.

I may have undersold my skills/knowledge of longboarding when presenting this topic...I'm pretty proficient on the single fin (really proficient in fact..) just exploring new tings
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    why sure you can pump a lb. also helps w/respect to lb's to understand that EVERY SQUARE INCH of
    the deck can/should be used. dif w/sb. also if you want to get it to really fly try high speed 'angle-in'
    takeoffs. thats where your board is almost parallel to the beach and speed gains the wave.

thank you sir..just trying to dial in/diversify my speed gaining techniques and baby pumps is one of them
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yeah man, to each their own. But to the original thought, yes, any board that we surf can be "pumped" and as much as some people don't want to admit it, even the most stylistic single fin throwback cats use some form of it. To me, its more of a foot shuffle than a traditional shortboard pump. Cross stepping your feet up a few inches each, then hopping them back again. So its more foot work, than ankle tweeking or pumping as it were. But with that being said, there was a handful of times in my last really good LB session on Tuesday, where I was in fact generating speed using traditional pumping. I actually followed most of these instances with a big floater or a hit off the approaching lip, all of which are maneuvers that some old retro guys probably think have no place in a 9'3" board... But that is just me. I will try and nose ride when the opportunity presents itself.

But my style is my style. I don't worry about the translation or influences of the board I am on, I let my mind and my style dictate what happens next, and if its a few pumps into a nice long floater on a 9'3, then that's what it is.

Free your mind. If you saw any of the throwback guys in Clemmy's post riding a more substantial beach break or a faster, longer point, they most CERTAINLY would display some pumping down the line. It's a little easier to hold your line and style in place when it's high tide at an incredible slow rolling reef pass, where the wave is not that of consequence and danger is insignificant.

Tell those dudes to drop in at 6-8 foot pipe on those single fin nose riders and I bet you would see some cats pumping their as$es off trying to get out of the barrel. But again, you may ask, why on earth would they ride those boards in that situation... I hear you there. I am just saying. With their rationale, they would just trade in the 9'6 noserider for the 7'0 single fin Gerry with a lightening bolt and head back out.

Sometimes nonconformity is actually the paramount of conformity itself.

The only time I pump on a longboard is when I want to speed up to get to another section of the wave for a longer ride.

I don't always pump, but when I do, I do it with my "long board"

Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    Brah long boarding is all about the glide... And the nose ride .. And style ... Thus said- no pumping...

Sure you can climb up and down the wave face to gain speed... But pumping??? Nah - not needed... I wouldn't worry about it
    Longboarding not all noseriding and glide. That's like saying shortboarding is all about the carve and ignoring the barrel. Go check out a Bonga Perkins video and see how performance longboarding is done.

The rail design will tell you if it should be pumped or not. Soft rails, rounded without an edge on the bottom will not release the way the a rail with a tucked or a pronounced edge will. Water will wrap and hold on to them. To gain speed on these type of boards requires positioning on the wall and on the board (find the trim speed spot)
    Jim