LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Near-Death/Injury experiences?

Any near-death or injury experiences while surfing?

There isn't much swell in DE... Ever.... So probably for me the worst injury I had was at Indian River when I dove back into a wave because I was done with it... Hit my head right on the bottom. I was bleeding from the mouth, but I actually finished my surfing session with a headache and bleeding. (shark nerd alert)

I'm hoping some of the seniors have some thrilling stories, or at least more thrilling then mine..

omg

did you die?

Almost drown at KOA in Rodanthe back in 90's - 8 ft evening sesh with just me and my buddy, no lulls, paddled out only to get hammered, my leash wrapped 3x around my legs and dragged down the beach with a sideshore current in the deep water trench a few yards off the beach, taking wave after wave on the head. Honestly thought I was gonna black out and drown and started to accept my fate. That's when i felt sand with my toe and managed to get to the beach only to vomit and have a bit of a cry. (let the name calling begin). My buddy knew nothing about it and simply asked why I was such a pzzy for sitting on the beach lol

Second one was in PR - 1st night there all amped up and decided to walk down a path to try to see the ocean in pitch black. overgrowth got too thick and we couldn't see so we went back to the room. The next morning we retraced our steps and realized we were literally 3 steps away from walking off a 50 ft cliff.

Images
    I was on vacation a couple weeks ago, wasn't around here that much, started to sweat and get the shakes.

Never really thought my life was ever in peril. Got tangled up in some trawl lines while setting lobster gear, but you move quick when that happens. Saw a skydiver plummet to his death once, poor guy.

Speaking of plummeting to your death, when I was a kid we got out of the water at 14th St. pier in VB to walk to the McDonalds there. Huge thud where you felt the ground shake. Look over and about 25 yards away from us was a 30-something chick who had jumped from the 7th story balcony - just lying there with a blank stare dead. Um, didn't eat lunch that day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoowa View Post
    Speaking of plummeting to your death, when I was a kid we got out of the water at 14th St. pier in VB to walk to the McDonalds there. Huge thud where you felt the ground shake. Look over and about 25 yards away from us was a 30-something chick who had jumped from the 7th story balcony - just lying there with a blank stare dead. Um, didn't eat lunch that day.
    Ooooh, probly ruin my appetite too. This skydiver thing was weird...I was driving back from PA w/ my Dad, in the mountains, and there were three skydivers cruising down, chutes opened up, on what appeared to be the mellow part of the ride. This one dude's chute starts ruffling around the edges, and next thing ya know, he's spinning in circles, sideways, totally free-falling. He passed the other two guys going full speed, and just disappeared behind a mountain. I guess he hit an updraft or something? I always thought once the chute's open you're good to go, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoowa View Post
    You got lucky you weren't there (14th st.) 15 yrs ago when the 4 old ladies tried to do an el rollo off the 5th floor of the parking garage in their car. Only got half way around and splatted on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkheart View Post
    Any near-death or injury experiences while surfing?

I'm hoping some of the seniors have some thrilling stories, or at least more thrilling then mine..
    WHAT? WHAT DID HE SAY??? (volume switch) …….oh.

why sure , whipper-snapper, i have a story.

(What were we talking about!!!??)

OH RIGHT. A STORY (big poke on geritol bottle).

goes like dis. one side pumping southern-hemi swell, me in the middle, and sheer cliffs on the other side.
    bash. bash. bash went i. over and over. hurts just thinking about it. smash. eeks. smash again.
    somehow i made it. and i lived.

WHAT WERE
    WE TALKING ABOUT??? i need a nap.

zzzzzzzzzz……...

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    WHAT? WHAT DID HE SAY??? (volume switch) …….oh.

why sure , whipper-snapper, i have a story.

(What were we talking about!!!??)

OH RIGHT. A STORY (big poke on geritol bottle).

goes like dis. one side pumping southern-hemi swell, me in the middle, and sheer cliffs on the other side.
    bash. bash. bash went i. over and over. hurts just thinking about it. smash. eeks. smash again.
    somehow i made it. and i lived.

WHAT WERE
    WE TALKING ABOUT??? i need a nap.

zzzzzzzzzz……...
    Someone get the depends, the old man is having a rough afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Someone get the depends, the old man is having a rough afternoon.
    thanks for the help i'm back from my nap and…and….what were we…..