LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    spend the day checking out cocoa beach/satellite beach. the kids will have some fun even if there aren't any adult sized waves.

Images
    Also, do they have "real" boards to use? Or do you have to lug your shortboard around the park all day?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    So the wife won out. We are going to disney instead of Costa Rica. Thinking about booking Typhoon lagoon for a private surf one morning for the kids and I.

Anybody ever surf it? Fun? Worth the $? Too big/hard for a 12 and 10 year old?

thanks,
    I bodyboarded it.
    It's a pretty small, mushy wave. It will be fine for you and your kids, but be aware of the bouyancy issue. It's fresh water so it's very boggy. The guys I surfed with had a very hard time holding the wave and blew a lot of their waves over the back when they got too far out on the shoulder. If you're a triple threat (LB, SB, BB) suggest you sponge it. The fins help a lot.

They can throw A-frames, lefts, or rights depending on what you want. A-frames can (obviously) take two surfers, doubling your wave count. The A-frames are also the biggest wave the pool can generate. If it's just the 3 of you, you'll be hard-pressed to keep up with the pace as I remembering the pool firing a wave every 3-4 minutes, which is about how long it takes to briskly walk back around the pool, jump off the wall, and paddle into position.

The wave is pretty unremarkable. What's a total trip is surfing in an empty Disney theme park. I went with a large group at night and had the run of the park. Everything has a Gilligan's Island/Castaway theme and it's pretty sweet to run amok in the park after dark, between waves. I suggest you try to find a group to glom on to lower the expense and give yourselves a breather to do a little exporing while you wait your turn.

The anticipation of sitting out in a clear, calm, lighted pool while waiting for the GLOOMP!-FWOOSH of the wave machine and this SH swell humping up out of nowhere is pretty sick.

Also; fair warning; the concrete areas of the pool are painted with a material that shreds booties. Go barefoot or hard-soled or take off your fin socks while walking back. Also don't get excited and drop your board or it will get majorly dinged.

Alternately, as others have said, just go to Cocoa Beach. There's plenty of breaks all up and down the coast if there's any sort of swell. When is this trip planned for?

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Also, do they have "real" boards to use? Or do you have to lug your shortboard around the park all day?
    It's BYOB after-hours. You won't be allowed to keep it during regular hours. Put it in the car to bake or something.
    Last edited by Speed Bump; Jun 13, 2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: mor info

So the wife won out. We are going to disney instead of Costa Rica. Thinking about booking Typhoon lagoon for a private surf one morning for the kids and I.

Anybody ever surf it? Fun? Worth the $? Too big/hard for a 12 and 10 year old?

thanks,
    divorce her. seriously. she will hijack every vacation for the rest of your life. find a woman who accepts surfing as part of your lifestyle, including your vacation time.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    You know you can get hantavirus from mouse piss, right?
    This made me laugh very hard!

Sounds like fun but like others have said Cocoa is a short drive from there.

Mushy, mouse piss, yadda yadda. That still looks like a fun wave, especially if you have your kids. Not sure if its worth $1000, though. I grew up surfing Cocoa and it's not too far, so I would def put that up as an option if the wife doesn't mind a day on the beach. Have fun

DONT BUY THE SPLIT PEAKS. WASTE OF $$$$

Either pick out a certain amount of lefts and rights (which have more power and a better section) or "Have more fun" sharing mushburgers with yo' fam.

you can probably rent a jet ski to get towed in also. this time of year they get massive swells

Yea I agree With you Zach619, The youtube vids look alright actually. and its better then not surfing at all right...

100 waves just me and the boys.. could be the best part about Disney altogether...

I've done it as part of a promo, and it sucked. Bring a fun shape, not a shortboard due to the buoyancy difference fresh water has. Make them play loud music of your choice which will add to the party atmosphere. Not worth the money, but it will be an awesome family memory. You are definately taking one for the team, and the Wave Gods should reward you in the future. Should. No guarantees, but a deposit has been made into the charma bank. My wife dragged me up to Minnesota one time for a wedding, and the next summer me and the boys hit Dominical and Pavones. It was a fair trade off.