LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

The El Cheepo Surf TRips

What the longest and cheapest surf trip you have done out of country and how did you do it? I need some ideas. Last time I was in costa I met some dude sleeping in a tent and boiling his own water and eating rice/beans. No wasn't drinking or anything man.

You could probably get waynetheinsaaaane to drive you south of the border to your own private break in Baja. On the other hand, inside that van may be the highest price you'll ever pay for a surf trek. Disregard!

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    You could probably get waynetheinsaaaane to drive you south of the border to your own private break in Baja. On the other hand, inside that van may be the highest price you'll ever pay for a surf trek. Disregard!
    In 1998, I had $5,000 saved up, quit my job and took off for as long as it would last me. I did 7.5 months in Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Cuba. So that's roughly $22 a day but really a lot less because I was also paying COBRA health insurance, which was actually my biggest expense. And I took 6 weeks of Spanish classes.

3 months in costa rica

camped and took the bus places

biggest expense was getting there and eating every day

Images
    How did you make 5000 last you 7 months that's insane.

Images
    I have a friend that goes to Peru quite often, he saves a few thousand for it and stays months there...swears by it...he says the people are awesome, food is great and relatively safe as far as travaling in a third world country goes. He does say however, that the waves are a little finicky...but at the same time, everywhere is like that, but when it goes off, close to a world class wave.

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    How did you make 5000 last you 7 months that's insane.
    I lived pretty insanely and came back in quite a state. Mostly ate rice and local stuff from local markets cooked on a camp stove. But also, it was 1998 and 3 of those months were in Ecuador, where the economy was tanking and the then-strong US dollar went a looong way. In Cuba I didn't use dollars, but converted them on the street to the now extinct Cuban peso, which foreigners were technically banned from using. It was like monopoly money.

The moral of the story is an understanding of local macro-economics can stretch your dollars. The worse shape the country is in, the longer you can make your money last.

if you want to SURF - really - then peru has the best bang4buck. i mean really surf.

Images
    Peru has some of the best waves in the entire world. Insane spots I have always had Peru on the buck list.

im jealous of all of you especially the guy who spent 7.5 months in SA. My cheapest was costa rica for a month