LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The power of the dark side

Jonesing for waves yesterday after three weeks out of the water, and Narragansett had nothing but ankleslappers . . . but my buddy had a spare SUP, a 10'6" Surftech . . . Long story short -- oh man, after the first few failures, that thing was FUN. Hard to trim (rails are so soft), need to stomp on the tail to get it to turn, but on a day when there's not even a ripple to float a log, I surfed for two and a half hours on that SUP. There is a struggle for my soul going on . . . One factor -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    Jonesing for waves yesterday after three weeks out of the water, and Narragansett had nothing but ankleslappers . . . but my buddy had a spare SUP, a 10'6" Surftech . . . Long story short -- oh man, after the first few failures, that thing was FUN. Hard to trim (rails are so soft), need to stomp on the tail to get it to turn, but on a day when there's not even a ripple to float a log, I surfed for two and a half hours on that SUP. There is a struggle for my soul going on . . . One factor -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!
    supping is funny. it catches on big in some places and others not so much….maybe you're in
    a hot spot for 'em...

Stay in New England with that menace: see if you can prang shart stuffer at the break that he frequents.

J -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!
    Since you've ventured into the "dark side", a 9 ft soft top, new or used, might work as well. Much less expensive and less of a "missile hazard" than a SUP.

Images
    i feel the lure of the SUP as well....most of the surfers in my neighborhood have one and they are clearly getting waves on days when i am not.

Yeah, darkside has power. Skull cracking power. I rented a 10'6 SurfTech one day it was almost flat, not to try to surf, just to paddle around out beyond the break. I was walking it in through the shorebreak, when a small wave caught the tail and launched the thing at me. It knocked me face down in the sand and left me with a bruised back and a knot on the back of my head. Way too much board for me to handle.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Yeah, darkside has power. Skull cracking power. I rented a 10'6 SurfTech one day it was almost flat, not to try to surf, just to paddle around out beyond the break. I was walking it in through the shorebreak, when a small wave caught the tail and launched the thing at me. It knocked me face down in the sand and left me with a bruised back and a knot on the back of my head. Way too much board for me to handle.
    y'know, the old rule about don't let your board get between you and incoming surf goes double for SUP's..

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    y'know, the old rule about don't let your board get between you and incoming surf goes double for SUP's..
    Wasn't really between me and the wave, I was holding it beside me but I think the wave twisted the tail of it around. Lethal weapons!

You gotta be smarter than the board....

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i feel the lure of the SUP as well....most of the surfers in my neighborhood have one and they are clearly getting waves on days when i am not.
    follow your instincts.
    they are, after all, just more fruit from surfings' genealogical tree.
    the nsps' seem to have the right combo of price/durability/performance…u know stix so try the classified
    adds first….