LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Ding Cover Sheet

    I have a small crack on a rail that looks like the hot coat is pressure cracked. I'm not sure if the crack exposes any foam to water -it's pretty smooth can feel a slight edge (with light shined on it the foam shines if a bit differently)-but I'd like to apply a coat just to make sure it's water tight. I've used a plastic cover sheet in the past that was in the repair kit. I have epoxy resin and hardener but don't have the original plastic sheet. What can be used as a plastic cover sheet that won't be epoxied to the board?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wb
    Posts
    1,976
    you care way too much about your board

    just use tape

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    you care way too much about your board

    just use tape
    Yeah you're prolly right.

  4. #4
    Wax paper will work. Not quite as rigid as the included ding cover sheet.

  5. #5
    ive used the plastic from a futures fin package...im pretty sure any clear plastic will suffice. just watch em so it doesnt melt when the catalyst starts to kick.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    2,210
    Quote Originally Posted by KillinMeSmalls View Post
    I have a small crack on a rail that looks like the hot coat is pressure cracked. I'm not sure if the crack exposes any foam to water -it's pretty smooth can feel a slight edge (with light shined on it the foam shines if a bit differently)-but I'd like to apply a coat just to make sure it's water tight. I've used a plastic cover sheet in the past that was in the repair kit. I have epoxy resin and hardener but don't have the original plastic sheet. What can be used as a plastic cover sheet that won't be epoxied to the board?
    What do you mean "plastics cover sheet"? Do you mean something to keep the resin from getting on the rest of the board?

    If so, tape works great. 3M painters or I like the clear packing stuff even more. You can either sand it off afterwards or I personally peel it off while the resin is still a little wet. That can get messy though. Just give yourself a little more extra room around the ding than you think you need and try not to get resin on the tape. Nother trick with tape is to put another fresh layer on when you start sanding, if you pulled it off when it's wet. That way you don't sand the rest of the board's finish.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    What do you mean "plastics cover sheet"? Do you mean something to keep the resin from getting on the rest of the board?

    If so, tape works great. 3M painters or I like the clear packing stuff even more. You can either sand it off afterwards or I personally peel it off while the resin is still a little wet. That can get messy though. Just give yourself a little more extra room around the ding than you think you need and try not to get resin on the tape. Nother trick with tape is to put another fresh layer on when you start sanding, if you pulled it off when it's wet. That way you don't sand the rest of the board's finish.
    The sun cure kits have a little clear plastic cover that you put over the repair while its out in the sun. Makes the repair all smooth with less sanding needed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    2,210
    Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    The sun cure kits have a little clear plastic cover that you put over the repair while its out in the sun. Makes the repair all smooth with less sanding needed.
    Oh. Thanks Mike. Never used suncure to fix a ding. Just resin, catalyst and elbow grease.

    Don't listen to me

  9. #9
    The masking tape is tricky on the rail-I've had minor success taping thin cardboard to make a reservoir. The plastic cover sheet made it easy to keep the wet epoxy on the rail, keep the shape of the rail, and basically no sanding. The wax paper sounds like it should work. Thanks for the help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Watertown, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    53
    Wax paper is where is at.. you can even use your fingers once it down to smooth out the resin and push it around.