LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    you care way too much about your board

just use tape
    Thanks for chimming in tard, now go cut your daddys lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    Thanks for chimming in tard, now go cut your daddys lawn.

I tried this past weekend to fix a ding with plastic from a toy package thinking it would do the same thing that the plastic sheet does in the ding repair kits. It didnt. MFer stuck to the epoxy and ruined the progress I made that day. I dont opt to use sun cure but those plastic sheets come in handy for small rail dings and the like. Soo, wax paper works??

Metard whats the deal with your icon and GIF... creepin me out a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wet Monster View Post
    I tried this past weekend to fix a ding with plastic from a toy package thinking it would do the same thing that the plastic sheet does in the ding repair kits. It didnt. MFer stuck to the epoxy and ruined the progress I made that day. I dont opt to use sun cure but those plastic sheets come in handy for small rail dings and the like. Soo, wax paper works??

Metard whats the deal with your icon and GIF... creepin me out a bit
    what i look like irl

word. walk around in the public enough and a dirtector might stop his car ands tell you ... "you have the look for Hollywood"
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    what i look like irl

I use plastic cling wrap, pull it off when its gelie, works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke Lives View Post
    I use plastic cling wrap, pull it off when its gelie, works fine for me.
    +1...or you could also just paint on the epoxy resin with a brush. Tape off area a 1" wider than ding and the paint away...pull tape once gelled...should come out great...almost as good as the plastic.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    +1...or you could also just paint on the epoxy resin with a brush. Tape off area a 1" wider than ding and the paint away...pull tape once gelled...should come out great...almost as good as the plastic.
    Agreed
    The paint brush works great too - just apply it lightly and don't forget- like he mentioned- to peel the tape off when gel

Why not just put a vinyl surf sticker over it?? It would be much easier ... That's usually what I do. Actually I got this vinyl tape that I found at the hardware store meant for windows(glass) that works great and it's clear! When I go on surf trips- forget carrying a ding repair kit or resin- I just bring the tape! I have temporarly repaired some fairly big dings with it - with no issues!

never used wax paper before but I can definitely see that working.

Acetate paper is the name of the clear plastic piece that comes in the ding repair kits. I am 25, and this is the same type of plastic paper that teachers use to write on with erasable markers and put on projector screens in the classroom. It is expensive.

When you use the acetate, rails can be very easy fixes, maybe even easier than the deck. I always use acetate on the rails.

Rebuilding a tail can be treacherous, however. For the tail, I use cellophane wrap (the very thin, clear plastic that you wrap a sandwich in) because it is very malleable and workable. Round tails I have found to be most difficult.

Stiff-ish plastic is great for the rails, nothing else really compares for rail work. If they're super floppy you'll have to sand some wrinkles out. The thicker ones are better, unless you're doing a highly curved part of the rail, like the nose or tail...

The nice thing about these is that when you use sanding resin, and are patient, the styrene comes to the top of the resin, giving a glossy finish when the plastic is removed. DONE!

Go to Staples and git yerself some. Use some real resin and catalyst from a repair kit. And make sure you get the ones with a glossy finish.

Last edited by Slashdog; Jun 17, 2014 at 04:24 PM.