LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: College surfing

Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post
    Yep, the world needs a lot of Financiers. Think of all the good that the bankers and traders have done in the last decade.

Keep jumping through hoops son. After you've jumped through 'em for a couple decades, you can relax and surf, when your spine is curved and your d*ck is limp, after you've wrecked the careers of untold thousands with your subtle manipulations of imaginary capital.

Ah, yes, you also might become terminally ill, have an accident, or a dormant hereditary condition. Have fun enjoying your retirement then! One thing is for sure, you're aiming to become something the world needs less of.

Seems like you have a brain. Perhaps you could use it for something besides money hoarding and business administration.

“Man... he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
 Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
 And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
 the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
 he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” - Dalia Lama number 14
    This is some superb shiiite right here. Truly. It's pretty much nearly-exactly where my mind was at when I ditched The Street.

Images
    God, I have two standing job offers If I ever want to return to CA. One for my old company in San Diego. The other is to work for my wife's uncle up in Malibu doing the wall street thing again. He was VP at LPL Financial in La Jolla when I lived out there. He took a huge gig up in LA and has a castle in Malibu now. I was no wall street mogul like yankee, but I worked for Alex Brown (The Deutsche Bank) and Merril Lynch. I quit Merril Lynch in 2004 because I went from a Network Technician to being dragged into the financial side, doing my series 7 and all that. But the job was crushing my soul. Not because of losing or gaining other people money, it was just a rat race. Our advisers were in at 4am and would leave at 1. I would come in at about 7am, because I worked directly with the VP of the SD Branch. I was supposed to be able to get out every day around 4pm. 4pm turned to 5, then to 6, then to 7. For a whole winter, I missed too many opportunities to surf and the days got longer, all with the promise of the HUGE bonus.... The money was nice, but I wasn't balling out, taking private jets. I was getting a good salary and great bonuses. But I was miserable....

I think you have to get over the hump, make some serious money, and then it's whatever. My direct boss there was a surfer. He surfed EVERY MORNING in La Jolla. But he would waltz in at 9am, talking about the surf and I wanted to gut him like a pig. Showing me his mansion and all his toys, giving me his "This will all be yours someday boy" speech. Sounded good at the time. This guy bought the mansion in front of his, just because it was for sale and he was afraid that if someone did renovations, it would affect his ocean view.

And it wasn't wall street that screwed over america. It was the government. The goverment lined their pockets that entire time as well, and they let the bastards off the hook. ALL OF THEM. Merril Lynch Tanked, from what I heard, BOA owns them now. The power just shifted around a bit, guys couldn't buy their 16th home for a few years and everything is back to normal....

Damn it... You guys are crushing my dreams...

Still though, as of right now, this is where I am headed. I guess I'm going to have to make my own mistakes, and learn things the hard way.

P.S. Yankee, I still want an answer to my question.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    Damn it... You guys are crushing my dreams...

Still though, as of right now, this is where I am headed. I guess I'm going to have to make my own mistakes, and learn things the hard way.

P.S. Yankee, I still want an answer to my question.
    Hey, my wife asks me all the time, Do you regret not working for my Uncle, or quiting Merril Lynch, and of course I say, no, no regrets.... But that is not all true.

The money was GREAT. Dude, if you are making an honest living and stacking money. Keep doing it. It sounds like you have a good thing going right now and you can expand for yourself. It's only when you are required to start working for some other entity and with everyone elses money, where the hours get nuts and the stress gets unbearable.

Its like any business. My next restaurant start up I do, I will get a private investor or go through a bank. I have people in my family and my wife's family that offer to help invest in some of these restaurants. I always thank them but say no. I explain to my wife, I have no problem having to deal with a bank, and paying back money I owe over the next decade. I am NOT comfortable accepting money from family or individuals, to which I could potentially owe money to that I cannot return in a prompt fashion.

But seriously bro, if the money is good. Keep doing it. It's not like you are selling drugs to kids. You are day trading like everyone else in the world. If you are good at it. Keep doing it. I just think there is a middle ground, that is filled with stress and hard work once you enter the wall street world working for a huge faceless organization. Then it all comes down to numbers and you become only as good as your last trade. What can you do for me TODAY, not what have you done, and in the blink of an eye, you can be swept away...

Keep doing it your way. Control your own life, bank most of the profits you are making and reset your investment level back to the same, controlled, safe level. Same thing I do when I gamble. If you are winning, you bank everything and still attack with control and safety. You don't triple your money and then go all in. You move quietly, calculated and safe. Keep cutting your profits out, banking it, resetting to your safety net and building back up. You will always be in the green that way, as long as your expenses and lifestyle don't get out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Hey, my wife asks me all the time, Do you regret not working for my Uncle, or quiting Merril Lynch, and of course I say, no, no regrets.... But that is not all true.

The money was GREAT. Dude, if you are making an honest living and stacking money. Keep doing it. It sounds like you have a good thing going right now and you can expand for yourself. It's only when you are required to start working for some other entity and with everyone elses money, where the hours get nuts and the stress gets unbearable.

Its like any business. My next restaurant start up I do, I will get a private investor or go through a bank. I have people in my family and my wife's family that offer to help invest in some of these restaurants. I always thank them but say no. I explain to my wife, I have no problem having to deal with a bank, and paying back money I owe over the next decade. I am NOT comfortable accepting money from family or individuals, to which I could potentially owe money to that I cannot return in a prompt fashion.

But seriously bro, if the money is good. Keep doing it. It's not like you are selling drugs to kids. You are day trading like everyone else in the world. If you are good at it. Keep doing it. I just think there is a middle ground, that is filled with stress and hard work once you enter the wall street world working for a huge faceless organization. Then it all comes down to numbers and you become only as good as your last trade. What can you do for me TODAY, not what have you done, and in the blink of an eye, you can be swept away...

Keep doing it your way. Control your own life, bank most of the profits you are making and reset your investment level back to the same, controlled, safe level. Same thing I do when I gamble. If you are winning, you bank everything and still attack with control and safety. You don't triple your money and then go all in. You move quietly, calculated and safe. Keep cutting your profits out, banking it, resetting to your safety net and building back up. You will always be in the green that way, as long as your expenses and lifestyle don't get out of control.
    damn dude I feel for u,u worked for merril lynch and now ur on here lol?stay in school children

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    damn dude I feel for u,u worked for merril lynch and now ur on here lol?stay in school children
    Ceppy, you're like all those sharp-as-hell traders who I knew on the Street, they'd graduated (sometimes) from places like from New Utrecht HS & other places way out on Staten Island: funny, man, funny.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    yankee I feels like we could have a few snifters of JW and trade the same different stories. I may be down to AI next swell to do so.
    Talk to The Seen before you decide to roll south, spicoli brah

Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    Wow Yankee... Honestly, at this point in my life, that sounds exactly like what I'm into. Its a shame your out of the game, I'd love to be your protégé. That 24/7 thing had to be exhausting though. I stick with Nasdaq stocks (bigger bid ask spreads) and trade from just after open till close and call it day. I mostly scalp (very high frequency), and pretty much all my profits comes from finding a stock with a large bid ask spread, and buying at the bid and selling at ask (or vice-versa). I'm usually not trading very high quantity (I tend to trade stocks with prices higher than 200>, because my I pay commission based on shares), so these types of orders actually get filled at a surprisingly high rate.

Anyways, I know I'm full of questions, but how did you get your foot in the door at trading companies? My goal right now is to just maintain a good trading history, and then show them what I'm capable of (there is a program inside my platform that keeps track of your trades and displays it with nice graphs and such). It could just be beginners luck, but since I stared doing this a year ago I'm well over 100% in the green. Basically, do you have any advice to landing a job trading (other peoples money) for a living, or am I on the right track?
    Ok, so it sounds like you're day trading. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been pretty easy to make money the past 5 or so years in the market, no offense, it is what it is & it's been a rocket ride for equities. So, good to hear that you're making some chips.

You're at an automatic disadvantage, being where you are (read: 'Flash Traders'). But, no matter. Your stated volume wouldn't be a factor if you were in Weehawken or VB, so it's cool.
    Question: why are you paying per share when you can chunk in tens of thousands of shares (penny stocks, for example) for one flat rate with the online brokers? Unless your timeframe is seconds (being a day trader), ok I get that.

I don't have much time to watch the markets, and I'm no longer trading futures. Novices are enthralled by futures because they see the massive upside potential for stunning profits; problem is, they don't acknowledge that, unlike with equities, there's no bottom in futures trading - - if that puppy turns the other way on your position, it can get incredibly, unfathomably ugly before you can say Angeline Jolie used to have great tiiits.

I built from scratch, and currently run, a coupla companies. Ergo, I have little time for trading. But, this year there have been so many opportunities in the markets. It's been plucking candy. I've just been diiicking around with some stocks this year, through May closing I'm up $200k with no losses, zero. Did that with the spring spike in the weeders, as well as NVO, UA, SD, AAPL & others. The weeders have had a heckuva year. We'll see what the election hype does for them in the next 60-90 days.

To answer your direct questions: I started at the bottom. History major from a very good NY university, aggressive varsity athlete, grew up poor and knew I didn't want to be poor, saw The Street as a route to international travel & money, both of which I wanted. Researched my companies. Mailed letters. Yeah, letters; no email in those days. Pulled an interview with an executive VP at a very good commodities trading firm. Got the slot. Made $13k a year plus benefits.

They started me as an order taker / broker's assistant, totally low level, on an overnight currency & precious metals trading desk in White Plains, NY. 11pm - 7am. In the morning, I'd stay over past my shift. That was all my doing. I wanted to learn. I very badly wanted to run with the big dawgs. Asked a senior trader if he would be ok with me sitting by him & asking questions. And thus found myself a 'rabbi' - - critical in trading. (aka mentor) Go home, sleep during the day if I could, go back in the evening & do it again.

Made some connections. Including the California traders. Guy outside of San Diego, owned a huge ranch, gorgeous blonde surfer girl trophy wife, perfect existence. He traded silver & gold all night long. And he grew &sold marijuana by the tonnage during the day. Had acres of it in his almond groves. Camo netting to keep the fed choppers confused. I know this because I rode my motorcycle down the PCH & stayed a few nights.

I digress.

Made connections through talking to clients who would call in to the overnight trading desk. Went to Commodities Corp in Princeton, NJ.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodities_Corporation

Got to know Louis Bacon. Paul Tudor Jones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tudor_Jones

Kovner.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Kovner

Met Samuelson a coupla times but didn't know him well.

Overnight desk again. It was there that I'd talk with Bruce Kovner every night, as he worked his intricate currency spreads for his Caxton outfit. Occasionally he'd share with me his m.o. Friggin guy was spooky & incredibly talented. He made so much money. Unreal.

Made another connection on the overnight desk at Commodities Corp.

Hooked up with the Cali guru, ex-Providence, RI, master trader, Michael P. Marcus. Departed Princeton for the west coast. Went out to Malibu & received my life degree in financial trading & a lot more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...s_%28trader%29

The relationships between various financial instruments; how to work a market; how to, yes, manipulate the world price of gold & silver (statue of limitations is up on that one, SEC); and a crapload more lofe lessons.

You're a lone wolf, my friend, and you're doing well. Kudos & props. I'd be going about it from another angle, though, if I were in your trading shoes. Not criticizing, just making an observation. If I'm you, I'd seriously consider getting a position with a firm in NYC, on a trading desk or investment desk or whatever it is you're seeking to do. It's incredible, invaluable experience that will enable you to break out on your own, if that's what you want to do, and be very confident in managing money.

Now, if you'll excuse me I just saw a white van race by with Florida CPS in hot pursuit. I think that I can assist those CPS guys with waynetheinsaaaane's rantings on SI Forum, which may lead them to bust his warped & sketchy arse.
    Last edited by yankee; Jun 20, 2014 at 02:24 AM.

Ah, the modern state of surfing.............

Kids, remember, when you're 40 or 50 or 60 - whatever the age is that you start realizing it's coming to an end - and you look back at your life, do you want your memories to be of high-powered office meetings and 14 hour work days? Coming home to screaming kids and a nagging wife? Having to suck-up, kiss arse, and play by their rules? (Wow I sound like MIS13)

Or do you want to look back at a life of cheap vodka soaked nights and mid-morning, empty surf sessions? Running from the police on city streets by day, and passing out on the beach at night? Being broke, but winging it just for the adventure?

"In life one must choose between boredom and suffering" (Germaine de Stael)

Remember, Johnny Utah finally saw the light, and threw his FBI badge out on the beach on that historic Bell's day. The Bhodizatva may have been a robber, but they never killed his spirit.

Will you guys follow the 50 year storm, or will you watch it on CNN on your way to work?

And before all you stock traders start getting offended and start yappping: This wasn't an insult to those who choose money. We all have our choices to make. There's pros and cons to everything, and every choice leads each individual to different ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of SJB View Post
    Ah, the modern state of surfing.............

Kids, remember, when you're 40 or 50 or 60 - whatever the age is that you start realizing it's coming to an end - and you look back at your life, do you want your memories to be of high-powered office meetings and 14 hour work days? Coming home to screaming kids and a nagging wife? Having to suck-up, kiss arse, and play by their rules? (Wow I sound like MIS13)

Or do you want to look back at a life of cheap vodka soaked nights and mid-morning, empty surf sessions? Running from the police on city streets by day, and passing out on the beach at night? Being broke, but winging it just for the adventure?

"In life one must choose between boredom and suffering" (Germaine de Stael)

Remember, Johnny Utah finally saw the light, and threw his FBI badge out on the beach on that historic Bell's day. The Bhodizatva may have been a robber, but they never killed his spirit.

Will you guys follow the 50 year storm, or will you watch it on CNN on your way to work?

And before all you stock traders start getting offended and start yappping: This wasn't an insult to those who choose money. We all have our choices to make. There's pros and cons to everything, and every choice leads each individual to different ends.
    So true.

Johnny Utah mmmmm Too bad surfed like a kook deal breaker