LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College surfing

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    your background info sounds like your pretty smart.if I was u id stay as far from the water as possible,thats a distraction,and distractions leads to not studying,then u start partying,then u get out of college and work at shopright and have to pay 80grand in colledge debt.

id say go to the best school u can,like an ivy league but I think u need to go to a regular college before that.screw surfing in college,u play ur cards right and land an awesome job,u can take trips to bali or Hawaii at a moments notice because u got it like that.i would've rather gone to college but I didn't have that choice.

my buddy went to college for computer software,i don't know what he does,but all I know is he gets paid big bucks to install software all over the globe.he used to have a office in the wtc before they blew it up.last week he had to go out to cali,and these people(the job) pays for everything,plane tickets,expenses,etc.hell go do a job and itll take maybe 3 hrs and he has 2 days there,so if he was a surfer he could go surf but he doesn't surf.the job even covers drugs as expenses altho im sure u don't put that down on the report.he says he wants to have a dealer in every state.if he didn't party these dude would be beyond rich,i mean hes already rich but hes a retarded smart azz coke head who can never sit down,always has to be doing something.that 3 hr trip,which was actually 2 days,made a little over 8 grand for that trip.like I said I don't know what he installs,could be shyt for the government idk,but he makes serious money and flys all over the place for free.what could beat that?
    This is the right advice OP. Listen to this man.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Wow kids these days are just pampered little wussies. There are dozens of schools that are 1,000,000 times better for the areas of interest you mentioned but they are not at the beach. With your grades and SAT scores you would be the stupidest kid in the world to throw that away just to be able to surf for 4 years. And your comment about losing yourself in college, what the hell does that mean, you are a kid you don't know what you want yet and you don't have a "self" to loose. You can listen to the folks who have said go where the best surf is (and if you are like the typical high school graduate who thinks the world will hand them a good life then you will) or you can listen to those of us who have told you to put your education first. Otherwise you may end up a 40 year old waiter who lives at the beach but is living paycheck to paycheck and maxing out credit cards.
    I don't have any of those ailments, but one thing I will always regret, is not getting to the surf sooner. I went to a school that game me an academic scholarship and allowed me to play D1 soccer... When you are 18 years old, planning out your life, you don't know what is what anyway....

It's easy to say, ohh go to Rutgers, or go here. Spend 4 years grinding out... Then when you graduate, take a job on the North Shore in Hawaii...

If you start your life only thinking about where the "safest place is" or the "best job" you will probably be in that mind set for the rest of your life....

So as easy as you could become the 40 year old waiter, living by the beach, enjoying their life, you can also VERY quicly become the guy who graduates at 22, takes the highest paying job in Chichago, swears he will move out to the beach someday, then in your early 60s you retire and can barely walk when you finally find time for surfing....

Im not telling anyone what to do with their lives, but I had an opportunity to go to a few schools that were by the coast and was told my counselors, parents, coaches and everyone else to do what "made the most sense" for my future. Well, Im not a professional soccer player, and I barely use my COMP SCI degree anymore or ever for that matter.... So I am just saying that the most "Calculated" decisions of your life can sometimes lead to a miserable future... Not saying that it will....

But do you know how many times I have heard that story: Ohh, I am going to go to school, ace everything, get a sick job, move to the North Shore and just spend money, surf and work... You know how many people actually do it that way? NONE. It SOUNDS good to talk like that. But everyone I have grown up with, or went to school with, especially my friends that grew up surfing, all have said that... Someday... Once I get through school. Well then came a job. Then came a family, now they are fat, enjoying their jobs, but never followed their dreams...

Dont pick the wrong school or pick a school at all based on us knuckleheads on a surf forecasting website, but be careful not to become the guy who forgot what really mattered to him. If I could rekindle and enjoy the things that mattered to me when I was 18, I think I would be a much more balanced person. You will sought after those things for ever if you never get a chance to touch them.

I am just saying, those guys that "work on wall street all week, and spend all their vacation time traveling on surf trips on mega vacations"... Well, that guy doesn't exist. Cause when you grind all week on Wallstreet, you aint never going to find time to surf, much less get any better.

Images
    I just re-read my comment, and it sounded bitter, but that wasn't the intention. I don't miss a thing. The day I graduated, I left for CA immediately and followed my dreams. Enjoyed EVERY second of. I just regret not getting there 4 years earlier. Had I been in San Diego through college and not immediately after, I would have been that much happier, day in and day out, four years sooner....

A chance to go to Rutgers, or UCSD to me is a no brainer. I mean, do you want to live a miserable lifestyle for 4 years, or a not so miserable one filled with beautiful women, weather, waves and a proper education while networking yourself through the entire westcoast and HI to ensure your job out of school? That's what it's all about, networking. Why not get out there, living where you want to end up anyway? Taking that internship your Junior year with a company you want to work for.

Carpe Diem bro. Not tomorrow. Today.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    if I was u id stay as far from the water as possible,thats a distraction
    I couldn't agree with this more. For my first 3 years of college (2008-2011), I went to a school where I basically lived slope side on one of the biggest ski resorts in the US. I'm a pretty smart guy, but I got basically no work done. It was just too much of a temptation. I had to move home and go to school at ODU. If I had just done the work and gotten better grades, I could have easily transferred to CU Boulder (my dream school, and now city where most of my friends live). Instead, I ****ed up my GPA and had to move home with my parents...

I will also offer you this little bit of advice OP... If you want to make big bucks, and basically work for yourself, major in Finance or Commerce. I trade for a living, and believe me when I say that this is where the money is. A successful trader/broker can make tens of thousands of dollars A DAY (I'n not there yet, but I will be). The best part is, you can trade from anywhere with a fast internet connection, and your hours are completely up to you.

I am the guy that got the good degree, made the connections and has a great job paying over $115,000 a year. I take off and go surfing whenever there is good waves in NC (not that often) even tough I am 2 hours inland and have money to go to HI, CR, PR and wherever I want. I am not bragging just sayin that those high paid financial job guys do exist and they do go on surf trips. Now my buddy that lives in Wilmington and works an hourly job can't even take off when there is a good swell in his hometown to surf. Last month there was a good swell on a Friday and I was there but my buddy who was local was driving around in his truck delivering plumbing supplies to job sites. Only the OP can decide which life he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    I couldn't agree with this more. For my first 3 years of college (2008-2011), I went to a school where I basically lived slope side on one of the biggest ski resorts in the US. I'm a pretty smart guy, but I got basically no work done. It was just too much of a temptation. I had to move home and go to school at ODU. If I had just done the work and gotten better grades, I could have easily transferred to CU Boulder (my dream school, and now city where most of my friends live). Instead, I ****ed up my GPA and had to move home with my parents...

I will also offer you this little bit of advice OP... If you want to make big bucks, and basically work for yourself, major in Finance or Commerce. I trade for a living, and believe me when I say that this is where the money is. A successful trader/broker can make tens of thousands of dollars A DAY (I'n not there yet, but I will be). The best part is, you can trade from anywhere with a fast internet connection, and your hours are completely up to you.
    no doubt. but you kinda screw people all day. your boy Lloyd blankfein was on Charlie rose the other day. dude clocks 50 million a year. goldman sachs makes around 9-10 billion gross revenue a year. and then the employees donate to democrats. phonies.

don't encourage people to be phonies who work for banks. not good.

Images
    I am the guy that got the good degree, made the connections and has a great job paying over $115,000 a year. I take off and go surfing whenever there is good waves in NC (not that often) even tough I am 2 hours inland and have money to go to HI, CR, PR and wherever I want. I am not bragging just sayin that those high paid financial job guys do exist and they do go on surf trips. Now my buddy that lives in Wilmington and works an hourly job can't even take off when there is a good swell in his hometown to surf. Last month there was a good swell on a Friday and I was there but my buddy who was local was driving around in his truck delivering plumbing supplies to job sites. Only the OP can decide which life he wants.
    I agree with you 100%. I just think the "paradigm" people have about these students at the surfside school is waaaay off. All the kids I knew from UCSD were either asian genius' in science or math, or privledged kids who got great grades, came from money anyway and already had jobs lined up by their junior years.

I am just saying at least at UCSB and UCSD, there are some many kids that become successful out of there. I think just saying, ohh, you are a loser if you go to a school on the ocean, that is just short sighted.

The best surfers I knew out there, were also the smartest, had the hottest chicks and got great grades in school, all while being pro-am surfers... Not a bad deal. The whole, stoner, surfer, loser thing is not what is really going on in the places with the best surf. Its the smartest kids, that are setting the rest of their lives up that I see...

To each their own... But for me, taking a few trips every year to get in the water, that just aint enough for me. Thats all.... Thats why you pick a place like LA, SF, SD, HI. Live in a huge economy, with high paying jobs and just ball out....

You can have both... I am just advocating that you don't have to "suffer" through college to get a good job. You can in fact have your cake and eat it too....

You know how many people in SoCal make 6 figures plus, and surf all the time?.. Hundreds of thousands, if not Millions. I knew guys making half a mill a year running their own contracting company. One was actually, "Never when the surf is up Construction"... The money people make out there in damn near every field is sickening. Bartenders are making 75-80K easy in a lot of places, and surfing all day... Life is all how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by cackedinri View Post
    no doubt. but you kinda screw people all day. your boy Lloyd blankfein was on Charlie rose the other day. dude clocks 50 million a year. goldman sachs makes around 9-10 billion gross revenue a year. and then the employees donate to democrats. phonies.

don't encourage people to be phonies who work for banks. not good.
    Lol... Ya, I don't work for a bank, right now I'm just in business for myself. And I kinda feel you on the "screwing people over" thing, but I'm not really a big enough player to intentionally "screw" people. That kind of market manipulation takes millions of dollars, and I don't trade with that amount of capital.

I fell into trading by chance. I was out of school and couldn't find a job, so I had a lot of free time and no income. I put all my life savings into the stock market and started playing with it a lot because I had the time. Eventually, I realized that what I was doing is a job, and have just stuck with it.

I honestly have pretty much the same opinion as you do about it. I think its pretty messed up what some big firms get away with, and what they will do for/with their money. Its just hard to go out and look for a "job" when I can make twice the money in half the time at home on my computer. I've only been doing this for just short of a year now, so who knows where it will take me, but as of right now my goal is to get a killer portfolio going and hopefully start a small trading business within the next few years. Sorry for the rant ...

Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    Lol... Ya, I don't work for a bank, right now I'm just in business for myself. And I kinda feel you on the "screwing people over" thing, but I'm not really a big enough player to intentionally "screw" people. That kind of market manipulation takes millions of dollars, and I don't trade with that amount of capital.

I fell into trading by chance. I was out of school and couldn't find a job, so I had a lot of free time and no income. I put all my life savings into the stock market and started playing with it a lot because I had the time. Eventually, I realized that what I was doing is a job, and have just stuck with it.

I honestly have pretty much the same opinion as you do about it. I think its pretty messed up what some big firms get away with, and what they will do for/with their money. Its just hard to go out and look for a "job" when I can make twice the money in half the time at home on my computer. I've only been doing this for just short of a year now, so who knows where it will take me, but as of right now my goal is to get a killer portfolio going and hopefully start a small trading business within the next few years. Sorry for the rant ...
    bonertrades?

sounds gay

Bruh. Now every creep lurker on here just went after your SSN. When you start getting credit charges for truckloads of Indian food you'll be sorry.

C'mon Bruh! Self-preservation!