LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: College surfing

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua-Meg View Post
    So true.

Johnny Utah mmmmm Too bad surfed like a kook deal breaker
    No, we never saw Johnny surf after his learning period.

Rumor had it that by the time of the 50-year-storm Johnny was the barrel king of El Porto, destroyed every close-out at the Manhattan Beach Pier, and ruled Topanga when it was on. Johnny was an enigma.

Find the best of both worlds: a reputable school with programs you're interested near some half-decent surfing. It's important to go to a school that has other things to hold your interest outside of cramming in the library for ten hours a day. If you're not near something your passionate about with the outdoors, you'll just start doing Molli, listening to to dubstep all the time instead and nobody wants that.

P.S. If you're an active kid, I highly recommend finding a job experience sooner rather than later that allows you to sit all day long in front of a computer screen with minimal physical human interaction. It'll be an eye-opening experience for you either way and you'll rethink how you want to spend most of the next forty-five years of your waking-life.

Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of SJB View Post
    No, we never saw Johnny surf after his learning period.

Rumor had it that by the time of the 50-year-storm Johnny was the barrel king of El Porto, destroyed every close-out at the Manhattan Beach Pier, and ruled Topanga when it was on. Johnny was an enigma.

After tossing his badge, Johnny Utah flew home and became a mall cop at the Galleria. A few years later when the Red Hot Chilli Peppers got paroled he had go into hiding. So he moved to the OC where he took up SUP'ing at San O and filming sharks with his GoPro.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua-Meg View Post
    After tossing his badge, Johnny Utah flew home and became a mall cop at the Galleria. A few years later when the Red Hot Chilli Peppers got paroled he had go into hiding. So he moved to the OC where he took up SUP'ing at San O and filming sharks with his GoPro.
    A common misconception is that Trestles and San O are in Orange County. Both surf spots and beaches are in San Diego County....

I always like to throw that in there, since the OC stole that claim years ago, and I seem to be one of the only people that cares. San Clemente can not claim a wave that resides in a different County. When you leave trestles and head north on the 5, you will see the "WELCOME TO ORANGE COUNTY" sign about a half mile north of the bridge. And heading south bound from LA, you see "WELCOME TO SAN DIEGO" about 1/2 mile before the trestles parking area

Just FYI.

Aqua Meg, that was a pretty good line aboot the Chilli Peppers. Kudos.

Good job getting good grades and working hard in high school. I am also from NJ and went to UCSD. I spent a lot of time at UCSB. I can tell you that if you want to surf everyday San Diego is the spot. SB gets good in the winter but it's inconsistent. Rincon is half an hour away which is the best wave ever so that's a plus for UCSB. But UCSD is a walk from Blacks which is the best wave in San Diego. San Diego is also the best place to go to school. It is a beautiful metropolitan area and UCSD is right in the middle of it. You should know that UCSD is known for being socially dead. However, it really is what you make of it. I wouldn't trade my time there for anything. I had very comparable grades to you so I would imagine you can get into any of those schools.

You should also look into Point Loma College of the Nazarene. It gets a bad rep for being really religious, sort of like Pepperdine but I know a lot of completely normal kids go there and have a great time. It is literally overlooking Sunset Cliffs which is one of the most beautiful places in SD and one of the best waves. However it seems like your grades are too good to go there.

You have incredible grades and UCSD is definitely the most challenging school of any school in the nation that could be considered a surf school. Plus it is walking distance to one of the best and most consistent waves in the nation.

If you haven't read them check out Market Wizards and New Market Wizards by Jack Swager(sp?). Great interviews with many of the worlds top traders. It's been a while since I've read them but most if not all of those guys Yankee is talking about are interviewed.

Man... My respect level for you has gone way up Yankee. I'm totally going to read that Marketing Wizards book, and a bunch of other books on the MPM wiki page.

And yes, I realize that I'm probably not going about this trading thing in the best way possible. To be completely honest, I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know how a tell if a company is overvalued, don't really how to analyze a company at all , blah blah blah. What I do understand is how to read candlesticks and order flow charts, and know when to pull the trigger. I know to look for stocks trading at a high volume, with a big bid-ask spread, and trade that sucker like its going out of style.

As for why I trade based on a share, because at this point its cheaper for me. The standard rate is 8 bucks a trade. Thats 8 to buy, and 8 to sell. For me, who typically makes over a hundred trades a day, that is some serious dough to fork out. I use IB (Interactive Brokerage), and the commission is 0.004 cents per share.

Anyways Yank, I appreciate your input and your story is pretty amazing. If you have any more advice for a young buck like myself, or anymore stories to share, please do.

HEY !!!

Go read Forbes and move to Manhattan mothertrucker.

This site is for losers who surf. Go be productive and boost your ego with your material goods somewhere else.

F'ing white people, man. I can't stand "them."

Go back to Europe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of SJB View Post
    HEY !!!

Go read Forbes and move to Manhattan mothertrucker.

This site is for losers who surf. Go be productive and boost your ego with your material goods somewhere else.

F'ing white people, man. I can't stand "them."

Go back to Europe.
    This. Right here. Why we adore 'Our Billy.'