LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    yes jerz. thats good cause i have a potatonator for 4ft and under so the uni should be the next logical step.

yankee - lots of static on here re fire wires but heres' something that NEVER HAPPENED TO ME IN FIFTY
    YEARS OF SHORT-BOARDING……i traded in a two year old dominator that was used ALOT and got
    FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS TRADE-IN. never got that much; ever. the board had one tiny nick from two
    years of (jersey-type) constant use…re timbertek i have no experience w/them.i like mine 'FST.'
    Interesting info from you & the Z-man; I'm looking at their website; gracias senor bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Yankee, I have a timbertek baked potato for sale. Great board held up well. Very light.
    Will PM you for more info, thx

[QUOTE=Shaka Zulu;244944 It sucks to see board builders in the US losing out to companies making cheap boards in Thailand.[/QUOTE]

do you think their behavior has anything to do with it??
    lets see if we can bring them up to speed.

i am all over the local surfing scene and have not bought a custom from a local board builder since 1975.
    why? don't know any. they don't surf at my local break; if they do they act like mice..you know, timid males.
    and i certainly would have noticed them - manners or none (hi brian) - if they surfed well WHICH THEY DONT.

local shapers don't do 'big guy' marketing. firewire does.
    local shapers don't have a product as durable as firewire.
    local shapers don't offer me different STANDARD products. firewire does.
    local shapers don't invite me into their shaping room and share beers with me like nev did in 1979.
    local shapers don't know i have broken 3 LOSTS in a row so don't even bother me with that type construction.
    local shapers don't innovate; at least not on a scale large enough for me to notice.
    local shapers do not have an innovative and interactive website.

surfing is a huge sport and there is a righteous place for my product demands and whatever company
    (or individual) bows well to me in that direction gets my green.

disclaimer re 'brian' - i don't mean the local shaper brian wynn cause even tho i don't know him i have
    seen SOME GORGEOUS BOARDS that he has shaped and i don't mean the felon (nogaf) but the brian
    who (except in the line-up) is ubiquitous ….
    Last edited by baddy trailerpark; Jun 23, 2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: slander narrowing...

Images
    I'm a believer that it's the user that imparts soul on the object not the object contains any soul of its own. I have sat down with accomplished guitar players that can take my son's Chinese made toy guitar, and create magic with it. But if I could find a shaper that could make me a board that won't fall apart after a year and would hold some value I would be all over it.

sizing is a personal thing not just based on weight... i too have a potatonator for smaller days.. have a chubby chedda that i just picked up thats goes insane.. and a hellrazor as a step up.. all of them go great..

for all the stupid thailand crap.. what wetsuit do u wear.. car u drive? glass houses i guess..

did the local shaper thing years ago.. was ok but poly's feel dead to me now

Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    for all the stupid thailand crap.. what wetsuit do u wear.. car u drive? glass houses i guess..

GREAT POINT. are there any american made wetsuits? I personally like my FW. However, i'm not against by a local board if it suits my fancy

Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    sizing is a personal thing not just based on weight... i too have a potatonator for smaller days.. have a chubby chedda that i just picked up thats goes insane.. and a hellrazor as a step up.. all of them go great..

the chedda also looked mo bettah…posib could grab that 'un instead of unibrow which by the way thank you
    and to nickM too for being THE ONLY ONES who were kind enough to ANSWER my question (s).

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    do you think their behavior has anything to do with it??
    lets see if we can bring them up to speed.

i am all over the local surfing scene and have not bought a custom from a local board builder since 1975.
    why? don't know any. they don't surf at my local break; if they do they act like mice..you know, timid males.
    and i certainly would have noticed them - manners or none (hi brian) - if they surfed well WHICH THEY DONT.

local shapers don't do 'big guy' marketing. firewire does.
    local shapers don't have a product as durable as firewire.
    local shapers don't offer me different STANDARD products. firewire does.
    local shapers don't invite me into their shaping room and share beers with me like nev did in 1979.
    local shapers don't know i have broken 3 LOSTS in a row so don't even bother me with that type construction.
    local shapers don't innovate; at least not on a scale large enough for me to notice.
    local shapers do not have an innovative and interactive website.

surfing is a huge sport and there is a righteous place for my product demands and whatever company
    (or individual) bows well to me in that direction gets my green.

disclaimer re 'brian' - i don't mean the local shaper brian wynn cause even tho i don't know him i have
    seen SOME GORGEOUS BOARDS that he has shaped and i don't mean the felon (nogaf) but the brian
    who (except in the line-up) is ubiquitous .
    Wow, i am speechless. Is Lost really the only other US made surfboard company you can think of? Why don't you look into getting a Coil if durability is your primary issue. What about those Lib Techs? I have a Coil that's 4 years old and still looks new. Almost no deck crushing. You can get them custom ordered too. I see lots of people with them here in the Va Beach area and nobody has problems with them falling apart. Look beyond the stock rack boards at your local shop. Im sure the dudes on this site would tell you Coils are crap, but don't take their word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka Zulu View Post
    Wow, i am speechless. Is Lost really the only other US made surfboard company you can think of? Why don't you look into getting a Coil if durability is your primary issue. What about those Lib Techs? I have a Coil that's 4 years old and still looks new. Almost no deck crushing. You can get them custom ordered too. I see lots of people with them here in the Va Beach area and nobody has problems with them falling apart. Look beyond the stock rack boards at your local shop. Im sure the dudes on this site would tell you Coils are crap, but don't take their word for it.
    whats the wait on a coil nowadays?? 7months?

Not sure about that. Point is that there is plenty of US made options. And yes, they all do big guy boards. The cheap Asian sweatshop boards are not the answer.

I was in Hawaii last week and borrowed my buddy's Lib Tech board. First thing he did when I was picking it up was put it on the ground and jump on it. I was shocked! Nothing can hurt those things.