Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rhody
    Posts
    274

    The power of the dark side

    Jonesing for waves yesterday after three weeks out of the water, and Narragansett had nothing but ankleslappers . . . but my buddy had a spare SUP, a 10'6" Surftech . . . Long story short -- oh man, after the first few failures, that thing was FUN. Hard to trim (rails are so soft), need to stomp on the tail to get it to turn, but on a day when there's not even a ripple to float a log, I surfed for two and a half hours on that SUP. There is a struggle for my soul going on . . . One factor -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    4,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    Jonesing for waves yesterday after three weeks out of the water, and Narragansett had nothing but ankleslappers . . . but my buddy had a spare SUP, a 10'6" Surftech . . . Long story short -- oh man, after the first few failures, that thing was FUN. Hard to trim (rails are so soft), need to stomp on the tail to get it to turn, but on a day when there's not even a ripple to float a log, I surfed for two and a half hours on that SUP. There is a struggle for my soul going on . . . One factor -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!
    supping is funny. it catches on big in some places and others not so much….maybe you're in
    a hot spot for 'em...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    7,905
    Stay in New England with that menace: see if you can prang shart stuffer at the break that he frequents.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    J -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!
    Since you've ventured into the "dark side", a 9 ft soft top, new or used, might work as well. Much less expensive and less of a "missile hazard" than a SUP.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    southern NC
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    Jonesing for waves yesterday after three weeks out of the water, and Narragansett had nothing but ankleslappers . . . but my buddy had a spare SUP, a 10'6" Surftech . . . Long story short -- oh man, after the first few failures, that thing was FUN. Hard to trim (rails are so soft), need to stomp on the tail to get it to turn, but on a day when there's not even a ripple to float a log, I surfed for two and a half hours on that SUP. There is a struggle for my soul going on . . . One factor -- I haven't seen a reasonable used SUP for sale in this area on line, and the new ones are so expensive!
    Yeah, darkside has power. Skull cracking power. I rented a 10'6 SurfTech one day it was almost flat, not to try to surf, just to paddle around out beyond the break. I was walking it in through the shorebreak, when a small wave caught the tail and launched the thing at me. It knocked me face down in the sand and left me with a bruised back and a knot on the back of my head. Way too much board for me to handle.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    southern NC
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    y'know, the old rule about don't let your board get between you and incoming surf goes double for SUP's..
    Wasn't really between me and the wave, I was holding it beside me but I think the wave twisted the tail of it around. Lethal weapons!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    10,174
    You gotta be smarter than the board....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    4,563
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i feel the lure of the SUP as well....most of the surfers in my neighborhood have one and they are clearly getting waves on days when i am not.
    follow your instincts.
    they are, after all, just more fruit from surfings' genealogical tree.
    the nsps' seem to have the right combo of price/durability/performance…u know stix so try the classified
    adds first….

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    830
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i feel the lure of the SUP as well....most of the surfers in my neighborhood have one and they are clearly getting waves on days when i am not.
    Today was a perfect example of this. Buoy read 1ft/10s... Didn't look like much, yet a friend and I paddled way down the beach and out to where a little peeler wave would work into a nice thigh high wave you could "skate" on a SUP. Getting to that spot / and riding that wave would have been very difficult on other craft. We had it to ourselves from sunrise until the tide killed it. It was nice to be out on the water, get a little exercise and have fun. Plus, the water was clear and it's always nice to observe the wildlife between sets.

    The designs of Surf SUPs continue to improve. They are not all the 10+ foot monsters that are typical tourist rentals. The shapes <9' may float you (depending on your size) and are very surf-able. Given that you are an experienced surfer, you should be able find a nice stick that will make you very happy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    830
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    y'know, the old rule about don't let your board get between you and incoming surf goes double for SUP's..
    ^+1. Keep your head on a swivel and always know where the board is. Develop a good stiff arm & protect your noggin. Additionally, it takes a little time/familiarity to handle a SUP. That is why when one first takes a SUP out in the surf, select an area away from other people until it can be handled. Using a SUP will require an increased awareness.