LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Question Sharks in Jersey

    Ok now in my lifetime i have only seen two real sharks in the water in New Jersey. One down in Cape May on vacation, and another at Darlington. They were both small no bigger than 4 feet but once i see that fin i get so paranoild.

    And for those of you who live in the Monmouth county area, you probly know abut the 49 foot whale ( practacly half a football field) that washed up on shore. They said the wail got hit by an ocean liner or somebodys private yaht. Keep in mind this was forth of july week end and i counted 50 boats in the water at one point. But for a whale to get pushed in to the beach i'm thinking it was abut 2 or 3 mile intil it got in. So if the whale was bleeding from the laceration than wouldent that bring bait fish or even worse SHARKS. So now i am asking if anybody agrees with me or if i'm just paranoid

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Njsurf14 View Post
    So now i am asking if anybody agrees with me or if i'm just paranoid
    Paranoid, but if you want to stay out of the water this weekend, it will leave more sick waves for everyone else

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,386
    Images
    64
    this has been covered already

    http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2303

    Your just paranoid....sharks are out there tho.....I've seen bull sharks, & threshers. matter of fact 2 baby sand sharks washed up yesterday morning in asbury.

    FYI - Football fields are measured in yards not feet.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Jul 11, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Washington dc
    Posts
    167
    animals will only betray you, if you betray them.
    that is why I am a vegetarian.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,386
    Images
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by iceybeatzjosh View Post
    animals will only betray you, if you betray them.
    that is why I am a vegetarian.
    you must be on some solid ass shrooms.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    595
    Images
    81
    Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, but I really doubt that will stop a shark from biting you.

    I think you're being paranoid. Don't get me wrong, I think about it from time to time but don't let it get to you. I've seen more sharks then I want to. Two SCARY sights and a few others. Seen numerous sharks from boats. My friend (Lifeguard at the beach) told me he saw a Great White the size of the lifeguard row boats just past the surf breaks on one of his morning swims. Cautious? Yes, but chances of it coming closer to feed are slim. Great whites attack in an upwards motion, if you're on the surf break it'll be too shallow.

    Surfing at dusk with a bunch of my friends is when I saw about a 6-7 ft shadow swimming back/forth under us. We didn't move and it eventually just left as alone. That was my first nervous encounter. Second time was when I was swimming under water. I opened my eyes to catch a glimpse of a big animal. Am I sure it was a shark? No, but it was 5+ ft long and swimming away. I left the water for about 30 minutes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Deal NJ
    Posts
    9
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Njsurf14 View Post
    Ok now in my lifetime i have only seen two real sharks in the water in New Jersey. One down in Cape May on vacation, and another at Darlington. They were both small no bigger than 4 feet but once i see that fin i get so paranoild.

    And for those of you who live in the Monmouth county area, you probly know abut the 49 foot whale ( practacly half a football field) that washed up on shore. They said the wail got hit by an ocean liner or somebodys private yaht. Keep in mind this was forth of july week end and i counted 50 boats in the water at one point. But for a whale to get pushed in to the beach i'm thinking it was abut 2 or 3 mile intil it got in. So if the whale was bleeding from the laceration than wouldent that bring bait fish or even worse SHARKS. So now i am asking if anybody agrees with me or if i'm just paranoid
    Your out of your mind.!!! Surfed here for 25 years, this is one of the last places to worry about sharks.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Belmar (DiRty JErz)
    Posts
    256
    Images
    20
    me and my frend saw a shark the other day..couildnt tell what kind tho

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    pensacola beach
    Posts
    229
    y'all have it good!... if i can go 3 days without seeing a shark here in pensacola than damn... i see sharks just about every time i paddle out, often i see more than one in a session...

    just about 3 weeks ago we saw over 10 sharks in a few hours... bull sharks, all over 8 feet.

    sharks we see on a regular basis: bulls, hammerheads, blacktips, spinners, makos, and the occasional tiger shark...

    i'm not talkin about small either, these things are 1 step away from being 'Jaws lil cousin'

  10. #10

    Smile

    Couple of years ago at 28th st, OC, while sitting in the lineup I looked down just in time to see about a 5 footer going right under my board, between my legs. I freaked and kicked my legs straight up and out which made him freak and he shot away and got caught in my leash for just a moment. The force of it was incredible (imagine a really big dog suddenly taking off after a rabbit and yanking the leash, only its around your ankle!) - felt like it was gonna rip my leg off. As quick as he was on it, he was off it and we both hauled ass in separate directions. My lower leg swelled up with a nasty abrasion but I don't know what was scarier - seein' him, or feeling that violent jolt. Anyway, afterwards I never thought that he was gonna bite (he had his chance to do that just before I saw him) - I figured he was just checkin' me out but who knows...
    I once read a quote by a surfer in Cali who had a naughty run-in with a shark which went something like "I want to live an interesting life filled with memorable experiences..." when asked why he would go back into the water. I think we all can relate - I know I can!

Tags for this Thread