LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Can I surf with a broken toe?

Yesterday while surfing I landed in shallow water and jammed my toe into a rock. Kept surfing another hour, no problem. By the time I got home it was all purple and swelled, today it's worse. I'm pretty sure it's broken, but this is getting to prime surfing time and it doesn't really hurt to walk on it. So would I be a fool to try and surf? I'm pretty sure the doc is going to say no activity for 6 weeks but I think that might be unnecessary.

Which toe? I broke the second toe on my right foot (back foot) on the 3rd day of a trip to nica and just taped it to the middle toe and was good to go, surfed the rest of the week. Couldn't walk very well but didn't affect my surfing. Unless it is the big toe you should be good There is not much that can be done for it if it is stable and not displaced
    Tape it and see how it feels
    Good luck
    Jim

Pick up some waterproof bandage tape from the drug store and tape your toe to the adjacent toe - sort of to act as a splint for the broken toe. This will help limit movement of the toe but give you some strength so can put pressure on it. Not much they can do for a broken toe. Pick up some Aleeve for to reduce swelling and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Which toe?
    Second toe also on my front foot. What type of tape, duct tape?

Quote Originally Posted by swabby View Post
    Pick up some waterproof bandage tape from the drug store and tape your toe to the adjacent toe - sort of to act as a splint for the broken toe. This will help limit movement of the toe but give you some strength so can put pressure on it. Not much they can do for a broken toe. Pick up some Aleeve for to reduce swelling and pain.
    Great idea thanks

Images
    Yup Swabby nailed it. Sometimes you can find those metal splints at Walgreens or CVS that fit either a toe or finger. Find one of those, do some taping, hit a bowl, chug some coffee and GO!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swabby View Post
    this. not much the doc can do other than prescribe a round of Vikes, (which is actually no small thing). otherwise, immobilize it and carry on.

I broke my finger a few months ago surfing. Doc splinted it and said "No surfing" (after asking if I got it rolling over in bed-- think I told that story here before, what a sexist and ageist jerk)-- anyway, I ignored his command. I found that Johnson and Johnson waterproof tape works well and better than Curad. -- you can likely do the same for your toe. I taped the heck out of the finger, wrapping the splint around it like a coffin with the tape. Then buddy wrap the fingers together except the thumb, like a catchers mitt. It lasts over two hours in the water and does great!

You can do something that works on your toe like that. Mold a splint under and over the toe to the shape you want. Then tape the hecknout of it and buddy wrap it to your toes. Make sure you do it so the toe doesn't stick out and get snapped off if you hit something.

Images
    Yes. I broke my right big toe and the one next to it while surfing. surfed another hour. Was in discomfort for months, but surfed anyway on a daily. It definitely will push you to find a backhand wave as much as possible to keep off your toe side, but even a cut back will aggravate it.

Months will go by with no pain, but this is almost 10 years ago and I still tweak it all the time. If I go running, or turn on it weird, it hurts for a couple days.... So, looking back, it was probably a poor choice to continue surfing with a broken toe, but it can be done with relative ease. It was an epic winter that year. You don't just sit out the rest of January because of a broken toe, or two.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zeech View Post
    Yesterday while surfing I landed in shallow water and jammed my toe into a rock. Kept surfing another hour, no problem. By the time I got home it was all purple and swelled, today it's worse. I'm pretty sure it's broken, but this is getting to prime surfing time and it doesn't really hurt to walk on it. So would I be a fool to try and surf? I'm pretty sure the doc is going to say no activity for 6 weeks but I think that might be unnecessary.
    Ohh and doc will tell you not to surf, just as he told me. This means nothing though. I felt like I was talking to Charlie Brown's mother. I just nodded my head and pretended that I was retaining any information being presented to me.