LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Future Fins - Hatchet center and vector sides, anybody ever try 'em?

Future Fins - Hatchet center and vector sides, anybody ever try 'em? What kind of surf did you ride them in? What kind of board? Pros? Cons? Never tried them myself; but they look interesting and wanted to hear from someone who had.

did not like. too tight.

I tried them and would concur with pumpmaster they are very tight but I was riding a quad fish with tiny little trailer fins on a big swallow tail normally and the board with the hatchet thruster set up was a narrow swallow almost V tail so it was already tighter than my fish.

When you say "tight", do you mean that they had a lot of hold and made flowing through tight radius turns difficult? Did you feel an increase in "drive" that compensated for that? Would they work in larger, steeper surf in your opinion? Do you think that they might loosen up for a larger rider? You guys are both about 180# right?

Think they would work in heavy waves but I found them hard to turn and pump for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Think they would work in heavy waves but I found them hard to turn and pump for speed.
    Yes they need some drive from the wave to really perform.

Saw this blue fiberglass set for $45 and thought it might be worth a ride around the park; but now I think I might pass. Thanks fellas.

best fins I ever had were SA3s

I had that set ten years ago. A little gimmicky, but, performance-wise, they're good in all size waves...however, they were really hyping the 3/2 foils back then and they didn't feel significantly different to me than flat foil fins.

Major reason they didn't get that popular is the "hatchet" fin is just too pointy and sharp.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jul 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM.