LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A new bodyboard for the Mrs.

So my wife wants a new body board and set of fins for her birthday. I know fark all about bodyboards and she can just go get her own fins, so my questions are:

1) What are some good quality brand names?
    2) What brands should I avoid like the plague?
    2) What size is right for a 5'8" gal who weighs in at 125-130lbs?

She hasn't done it in years, but she's an IB native and I guess she used to be pretty good when she was a teenager. Her brother (much to his surfer father's disappointment) was hot sh!1 before he got strung out on horse, his old room (which my M-I-L keeps like a shrine) is full of trophies, pics of him at Pipe and the Wedge, and schwag from his old sponsors. Being little sister, she of course had to do anything he did. We were looking at BZs, because that's what she used to ride; but I seem to recall someone on here having some negative opinions about them. All I've ever ridden are the cheapo Moreys.

Thanks.

If all else fails, I'll buy her one of those foam/glass alaias and see if I can get away with that.

Smart letting her deal with the fins, fins are the hard part for women, you kinda need to try them on and a lot of brands don't have a lot of variation among sizes for women (i.e. they basically have Medium and Small to choose from).

For the board, 38 - 41 inch is probably good... All the boards less than $100ish are usually EPS which is cheaper and lighter but can't really handle big waves, it will crack/fold. Sometimes you can find a PE or PP board with stringer etc on sale on 662 (or drive up to the 662 shop in Dana Point if you're in cali?) for like $120 or less. Otherwise "pro" / good boards are usually $200+ ouch.

BZ is owned by "Wham-O" but does make non-EPS boards... I think all the other mass-market brands (i.e. Body Glove, Morey Boogie etc) are all EPS.

Dude, call Jay Reale at Ebodyboarding.com. He so nice and helpful with people. Tell him you used to live in OCMD and he'll hook you up(Just do a little research aboot OCMD beforehand. B!tch aboot Delaware guys like Kyle McCabe snaking you at 48th ST)

BZ built nice.

Custom X kind of built nice, and they have the propensity to produce the magic board once in a while.

Boycott Australian brands. Let them get their Victoria Bitter money elsewhere.

41" should be very nice......avoid multiple stringers unless the apple of your eye is sticking to Big Rock and sojourns to Wedge. 42" may be nice to. A general rule is the thing should come up around the belly button area when the board is standing upright.

She will want the board to feel comfortable carrying it under her arm. If it ain't comfortable then it may be too wide. Your wife got, like, normal arms length and stuff right?

Now, I know you surfers like to get all googy eyed and sappy romantic aboot boards. But the dimensions are all just speculative. Yes, it's kind of a science aboot shaping, but when it comes to performance it's all up in the air.

Some boards work.......and some don't

Some are magic and some aren't.

Really cool, tuned-in fellows can just tell by "sensing" the board.....No, anti-Jesus southerners can not do this. You need the enlightened help of Hey Zues for this.

Now, Zachary there are types who will go into the different core materials and how they effect the sponge, but man, I can't get into all of that Arcel this and polypropylene that, beaded....extruded.....stuff.

Heck if I know. I don't make them. I just ride them. And I ride them well. I'm almost positive I'll shred your wife on any two footer at Scripps Pier, providing the other Zach and his gang of Volcom world tour and lifestyle warriors let me have a wave.

Zach, how's your paw? You got any pills left? Has your book case spoken to yet? Ahhhhh......Zach, may the sun shine on your face and let the wind always be at your back.

Zach, I'm sure the owner of this site will have all the answers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    Smart letting her deal with the fins, fins are the hard part for women, you kinda need to try them on and a lot of brands don't have a lot of variation among sizes for women (i.e. they basically have Medium and Small to choose from). <br /><br />For the board, 38 - 41 inch is probably good... All the boards less than $100ish are usually EPS which is cheaper and lighter but can't really handle big waves, it will crack/fold. Sometimes you can find a PE or PP board with stringer etc on sale on 662 (or drive up to the 662 shop in Dana Point if you're in cali?) for like $120 or less. Otherwise "pro" / good boards are usually $200+ ouch.

BZ is owned by "Wham-O" but does make non-EPS boards... I think all the other mass-market brands (i.e. Body Glove, Morey Boogie etc) are all EPS.
    Thanks man. Bodyboards have stringers! Learn something gnu everyday.
    I'm not in Cali ; ) but my house is about 25-30 minutes from 662, never been in there so this is a good excuse.

So would something like this work you think?Custom X Ultra Lite Ultra 41" bodyboard boogie board - $90 (encinitas)

Images
    Word, avoid those brands now sad to say...I'm personally happy with Custom X and Cartel...have the board come just past her belly button. I'll check back on from a pc later with more detail. As an aside, I'm very curious to see how a foam/glass Paolo would perform in the barrel.

Images
    Man, check the six pm forecast, now I'm tying off...I gotta get to a meeting...

Hey Bill!

Legs doin better, thanks for asking. Three more weeks in a full brace and a couple more months of no surfing. Driving me crazy, I don't how long I'm gonna make it. I got a whole pharmacy left, all the good stuff. And no my bookcase hasn't started talking yet you kook, the coffee table is a philosopher though.

She just wants to go out and have fun at the local. No Wedge for her, more Kinder, Küche, Kirche. I figure she wants to relive a little of her youth; at least, at least she didn't ask for a SUP.

That customx on craigslist looks sweet

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Hey Bill!

Legs doin better, thanks for asking. Three more weeks in a full brace and a couple more months of no surfing. Driving me crazy, I don't how long I'm gonna make it. I got a whole pharmacy left, all the good stuff. And no my bookcase hasn't started talking yet you kook, the coffee table is a philosopher though.

She just wants to go out and have fun at the local. No Wedge for her, more Kinder, Küche, Kirche. I figure she wants to relive a little of her youth; at least, at least she didn't ask for a SUP.

nice

and by nice i mean wow

Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    nice

and by nice i mean wow
    Just some lady I was following around Walmart, I don't know who she was. Everybody needs a hobby. They let me use one of those Rascal Scooters now.