Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Without fail my calves always cramp up

I've tried hydrating the night before or in the wee hours before I head out, but always they turn to rocks within the first hour and I just deal with it, until the thighs start cramping also. Does anyone else have that problem. I'm thinking its my fins because the way I swim im only giving short bursts.
    When the break is closer to the beach and I can stand I never cramp up.
    Any insight would be appreciated because its a drag to have to get out of the water to stretch while the sets are pouring in.

Images
    I've never bodyboarded, but I get calve cramps if I don't stretch them real good before a surf sesh...I now stretch everything before I go out and it helps a lot.

Fins are probably too small. Try some different ones.

Yeah, Now that I think of it, I live 2hrs from a decent break, so when it's good we drive out real early, so I'm sitting on my duff all that time and then charge right in the second we get there. Probably doing 10min of some leg stretches might help. Also, I've been reading some I these other threads, maybe looking into some different fins based on my swimming strengths could be an option.
    Just wanna be ready if that invest 91 hits.

Images
    Instead of just kicking, when heading out to the lineup, paddle while doing a very soft kick. I know a lot of bodyboarders don't do this but it works really well for me... Takes a lot of stress off legs.. I only bodyboard on a select few days but when I do bodyboard, I switch off stand up and prone (depends on the wave) and I don't wear fins. No sore legs here, no sore arms either.

Yeah I paddle all the time for that very reason, plus if the waves are big I need that much more
    Propulsion. I'm kinda wondering if could be a vitamin deficiency or lactic acid thing. Probably just a little research is what I need to do.

Images
    I paddle out yo the line-up and kick to catch waves...also cramp occasionally but I stretch, hydrate, and eat a banana or avo before I sesh.

Images
    Like waterbaby said, you should try doing 5-10 mins of stretching for just your legs alone the day before you go, and then when you go to your break.

http://www.surfertoday.com/bodyboard...r-bodyboarders

Images
    Sorry, it's so hard to post from the New HD kindle fire kfc7s.

try surfing