LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help With Flippers

I recently had an ankle fusion ( look it up) and when I'm healed i will be unable to bend or flex my left foot. When I get back in water I will only be able to use one flipper (I will paddle with the flipper). Can anyone offer suggestions on a good flipper that will give me enough thrust and comfort that can be used by itself?
    Thanks

Images
    If you could somehow fuse to Churchills together w/ one foot pocket, so it looked like a dolphin tail, I think that would be ideal...there might be fin out there like that...I will look at some point today.

Thanks . I just looked it up. They do make SCUBA flippers like that but I think they may be too big. But if that's all there is out there...

Images
    You could always go w/ one fin and paddling gloves...might feel weird at first but I bet you'd get used to it.

I would think having an ankle fixed in place might cause problems with drag, etc. on the wave too? Maybe not, though. The paddling glove idea is a good one, but if I were in your situation, I might reconsider my choice of surfcraft, and go with something that I could easily arm paddle into waves. Have a look at this link:

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/...nterview.shtml

and scroll down to question 6. If you didn't want to go all out at first, I'm sure you could have plenty of fun riding an 8 foot or so soft board prone.

Images
    Dude, I can't wait to read that paipo article...gonna save that for the afternoon...but good call. That was in the back of my mind too...might not even need that much length if you have say a 48" to 60" paipo but made like a surfboard...kinda like the one Mitchell made..

Would I still be able to hold the board with the gloves? They still have fingers but they're just webbed, right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    Would I still be able to hold the board with the gloves? They still have fingers but they're just webbed, right?
    Exactly, and you'd be able to hold on no probs...there was actually a funny thread about them a while back, think they're called 'Dark Fin' or something...I had ones called WEBS as a kid.

I'm actually looking to get a paipo. Looking into getting w custom one made. I talked to the guy and he said he might make the board a bit bigger than normal

Images
    I have a feeling you will be hauling a$$ and making many barrels.