LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Was the original ankle injury bodyboarding-related?

    I like Seldom's idea re: one fin (IMO going bigger isn't really helpful, if you've ever tried to use full-size dive/snorkel fins bodyboarding, well, it's possible but MUCH harder to control) and paddling gloves. Maybe start doing an extra-thick layer of wax on the board so you can do no-hands-on-the-board launches without it flying out from under you.

  2. #12
    Also that article sbx posted is super interesting, that kind of bellyboard sounds perfect...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,455
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    Also that article sbx posted is super interesting, that kind of bellyboard sounds perfect...
    Dude wasn't it!? I gotta try a surf mat too one of these days...and I want a paipo...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Camden County =/
    Posts
    10
    I hope to. I finally got my balls back bad want to go back out after almost drowning years ago. I'm sure the paipo will ride a lot differently. I'm looking forward to the speed and messing around with fin set-ups

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Dude, I can't wait to read that paipo article...gonna save that for the afternoon...but good call. That was in the back of my mind too...might not even need that much length if you have say a 48" to 60" paipo but made like a surfboard...kinda like the one Mitchell made..
    Yeah, you totally could go smaller, like mini simmons dimensions and it would be completely arm paddle-able. I was just thinking that if I had an injury like that, I would use it as an excuse to be that crazy guy out in the lineup prone riding a longboard. But that's just me.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Camden County =/
    Posts
    10
    There is a guy in VA that shapes paipos-- going to check him out when I get the scratch. When I used my bodyboard I kicked and paddled.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Camden County =/
    Posts
    10
    Those darkfin gloves are cheaper than i thought they would be. You think I could just use my regular Churchill fin

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    There is a guy in VA that shapes paipos-- going to check him out when I get the scratch. When I used my bodyboard I kicked and paddled.
    Austin Surfboards. I don't know who the shaper is, but he makes some great paipos. Very popular with the paipo riders throughout the U.S., here's a link:

    http://www.austinsurfboards.com/boards_html/paipo.htm

    There was a guy who used to post on SI quite a bit, but I haven't seen anything from him in a while. Very knowledgeable about paipos, mats and all types of wave riding tools. His handle was "Rodnd2ube" or something like that.

    A close friend of mine on the west coast is huge into paipos and alternative surf craft. This is his blog:

    http://paipopaipo.blogspot.com/?zx=b1f19cb6813ac8bf

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,455
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sbx View Post
    Yeah, you totally could go smaller, like mini simmons dimensions and it would be completely arm paddle-able. I was just thinking that if I had an injury like that, I would use it as an excuse to be that crazy guy out in the lineup prone riding a longboard. But that's just me.
    Nah man that makes total sense...many paths good sir. And that article was awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    Those darkfin gloves are cheaper than i thought they would be. You think I could just use my regular Churchill fin
    I think it's definitely worth a shot!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Camden County =/
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the help. I will def check them out.

Tags for this Thread