LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

talk and hearsay about rip currents

So is anyone else getting the whole spiel about how rip currents are dangerous and be careful when you go out and surf, mainly just because it's that time of year? Not sure if our west coast brethren have to deal with this as much since the beach is a year round attraction not limited to the summer months like it is here.

With all the coverage on the news about inexperienced swimmers and children getting sucked out to sea I'm hearing it non stop from family members and friends that know I surf. I must have had to explain about what a rip really is, what causes them, and how everything works out in the water ten times in the past two days to people who really know nothing about the water. People see or hear about rip currents and immediately think danger, I see it as an easier way out to the lineup as I sure most of us do. I tell people it's not just a summer thing and I use them year round to paddle out.

I suppose it just comes with the summer territory along with the tourists/shoobies, guards, tag checkers, parking, etc. If anything I think bigger swells/waves are easier to deal with in the summer since the water is warmer and your movements aren't restricted by tons wetsuit rubber and can actually feel your extremities being able to move more swiftly and think better without mind numbing brain freezes.

Yes someone is up to talk about this.

I am 15 and and me and my friends are gonna surf wildwood today (July 4th) if the beaches aren't closed.

I am getting the same spiel you are about how rip currents are going to carry me out to sea, just like the boy playing on the jetti on 7th street in oc.

Do you know if the beaches will be closed because I'm pretty sure all of us in sj are pretty excited for this overhead swell or possibly doh according to msw
    Last edited by Zman9398; Jul 4, 2014 at 04:50 AM.

ZombieSurfer is a solid dude. Good post bro.

Zman, that's good stoke there. You're probably the most stoked 15yr old you know. Stay stoked, Ponyboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman9398 View Post
    Yes someone is up to talk about this.

I am 15 and and me and my friends are gonna surf wildwood today (July 4th) if the beaches aren't closed.

I am getting the same spiel you are about how rip currents are going to carry me out to sea, just like the boy playing on the jetti on 7th street in oc.

Do you know if the beaches will be closed because I'm pretty sure all of us in sj are pretty excited for this overhead swell or possibly doh according to msw
    what happened to the kid?

Yes it's get to a point where its annoying the only person who doesn't bother me is my dad he warns me for every storm swell about the rips and yadda yadda but he knows I'm not really listening I guess he just feels better that he warned me

Images
    Let me be the one to educate and put you ease. Rip currents, the ones that everyone warns you about, are a surfers friend. They are elevators out to the lineup. The rips that suck are the ones that move you 1/4 mile down the beach without realizing. Outgoing tide and offshore winds tend to help you drift out to far so always be aware. If you dont know this yet don't paddle out during a hurricane swell, and keep you stupid go pros back in PA.

Ok kiddies - I'm sorry that I'm the one that has to break your heart. If someone is talking to you about the ocean and the conditions presented, that is because they don't think your all that good. Don't blame them and then cry online about it. Look in the mirror and figure out if you are a run away. Yes? Charge. No? Stay home. That simple. Why else did you come on SI to talk about it? Because you aren't sure. The tail is between the legs child.

Images
    Not true. I'm 48 years old, been surfing for over 35 years. My 76 year old father still warns me about rip currents and undertows every single storm.

Images
    This is funny. I was reading quotes from the North Carolina Governor last night. I wanted to drive up there, kick him in the knee and drive home. He basically said things like "People, now is not the time to put on your stupid hat" "No matter how fun the surf looks, DO NOT ENTER THE WATER, do not put our service men and women's life at risk by having them come get you" "The rips are too strong" "Even experiences swimmers need to stay away from the beach"...

I was just thinking, okay, forth of July, tourists everywhere, yeah, stay away, but I also got the idea that he was aiming some of those comments at surfers. He was actually on a WB news outlet saying this.

I get it about the tourists. But I was looking at the cams yesterday. There were a few surfers our, but there were ZERO tourists out playing in the hurricane surf.

Other than drifting north and south a bit, rip currents are irrelivant to surfers. Unless you use one as a little conveyor belt out to the outside, but that is rare.

People that say these things to you obviously don't "really" know anything about surfing. They probably don't surf and haven't surfed.

See, surfers have things cool things called "Surf boards" and they act as Giant, flotation devices and our feet our up out of the water as we paddle out the entire time. Aside from noticing that you have drifted, surfers don't even feel "rip currents"

Remember as a kid, when you were small and out standing in the water, you could feel them. Pulling at your legs. the "Undertow" and then out a little further, the swirling rips....

Rips could be an issue if you are out body surfing with no fins on... but man, the governor of NC is obviously not a surfer.

Nobody said a word about it down here. It was all sytems go. The surf was pretty much as big as it could get in the summer. Lifeguards were out. People playing in the big waves. The surf was great. No tourists died. Lifeguards had a mellow day....

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurfer View Post
    So is anyone else getting the whole spiel about how rip currents are dangerous and be careful when you go out and surf, mainly just because it's that time of year? Not sure if our west coast brethren have to deal with this as much since the beach is a year round attraction not limited to the summer months like it is here.

With all the coverage on the news about inexperienced swimmers and children getting sucked out to sea I'm hearing it non stop from family members and friends that know I surf. I must have had to explain about what a rip really is, what causes them, and how everything works out in the water ten times in the past two days to people who really know nothing about the water. People see or hear about rip currents and immediately think danger, I see it as an easier way out to the lineup as I sure most of us do. I tell people it's not just a summer thing and I use them year round to paddle out.

I suppose it just comes with the summer territory along with the tourists/shoobies, guards, tag checkers, parking, etc. If anything I think bigger swells/waves are easier to deal with in the summer since the water is warmer and your movements aren't restricted by tons wetsuit rubber and can actually feel your extremities being able to move more swiftly and think better without mind numbing brain freezes.

Don't worry about your marltonites stressing about water conditions, tell them to go to medford lakes and take a dip! Come on down to the island, tonite should be interesting with the low tide. Hey is that bad boyz surf shop still open in your neck of the woods?