LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Quad fin set for FW Sweet Potato

5'6" FW Sweet Potato on way. 5'7"185lbs intermediate surfer. What quad fins are working best for guys on similar board?? Thanks
    Last edited by YouRuinedtheSI; Jul 5, 2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Typo

2. NJ east coast waves.

Images
    I tried the standard fins and didn't like them. Went to controllers and loved them.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I tried the standard fins and didn't like them. Went to controllers and loved them.
    As of now from what I have been reading they may be my first choice. Thanks

Images
    I'm a bigger guy 190 6'1" that really pushes off my fins. Not sure if it matters but I've heard others say it was over finned with the controllers. For me it was just what I needed to make the baked potato work, pretty sure it would be the same for the sweet potato if you use your fins like I do.

controllers for super wide tail quads. You can try a more upright set for snappier turns, but the compromise is they don't work as well in smaller, weaker waves.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    controllers for super wide tail quads. You can try a more upright set for snappier turns, but the compromise is they don't work as well in smaller, weaker waves.
    The one experience I had with controllers on a small wave board is the board felt stiff and hard to break out of a line - just too much fin in general. Then again I'm only 155 and usually find myself going for smaller fins unless its big and hollow

I'm about 180 lbs. Controllers felt kinda stiff first day I rode them, but then figured out I needed to shift more weight on the tail during turns (became instinct very quick). I tried switching the fronts out for upright fins and, although the board definitely turned sharper, they'd only excel in pushier waist high waves...performance in the smallest wave range disappeared.

I have the same board, same size and I ride it with the K2.1 quads...no complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    what are controllers? a brand name or smaller back trailer fins…?