LOGIN | REGISTER

Cape Cod questions

Hey All,
    I am going to be in Falmouth from 7/16-7-22. I have never been to the cape before. I am traveling with my wife and three young kids and staying with some friends. What is the surf like that time of year? How far am I from surf spots? Is it worth bringing my longboard or fish? What is the great white shark situation like lately? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob Z

When the wave breaks here (Outer Cape), don't be there (Falmouth)

Quote Originally Posted by ZBass View Post
    Hey All,
    I am going to be in Falmouth from 7/16-7-22. I have never been to the cape before. I am traveling with my wife and three young kids and staying with some friends. What is the surf like that time of year? How far am I from surf spots? Is it worth bringing my longboard or fish? What is the great white shark situation like lately? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob Z
    I have not surfed there, but visited before. There are shark postings everywhere saying not to surf when seals are around. There were seals everywhere.
    We went to Race Point and there wasn't a single person in the ocean.
    In my opinion it's only a matter of time up there...

You are about an hour plus away, depending on where you are in Falmouth. I would bring a long board unless you see that there is a Hurricane coming up the coast or some other event. You have to go to the outercape (beaches in Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro on the ocean side). I would avoid Coast Guard Beach in Eastham if you are bringing your long board because of the tram which makes it very annoying to get to the beach.

Sharks - there have been some sightings recently, but I would say its less common to see them while at a public beach, it has happened though.

Images
    Depending where in Falmouth you are staying (BTW, Falmouth is probably the furthest town from the outer cape), you will be anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half from surf spots (outer cape as mentioned, i.e., cape cod national seashore - look at a map). I would bring both boards,as there are definitely some good LB spots and if we get a swell event, the fish may serve you well.

You could make a day trip to the CCNS (see http://www.nps.gov/caco/index.htm for info) with family & friends, pack all the food, beverages, and accessories for a long day at the beach, pay for a day parking pass at one of the park beach locations, and have a good day at the beach and catch waves if they are there (obviously SI can help you plan this).

As far as sharks, they are out there, as documented on a "shark week episode", but we humans are not in the tops of their food choices. I would say the curious teething juveniles are the cause of most of the incidents, of which there have been very few reported. I suppose if they really wanted to eat humans they could have a field day mowing down people in the crowded beach areas up and down the EC.
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Jul 7, 2014 at 06:19 PM.