LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surfin paulie View Post
    Stuff brings back memories. Sorry don't have as many memories as I'd like. Too many mushrooms and Pink Floyd albums... What I DO remember is that in 1970, every goofy footer kid like me wanted to be Gerry Lopez and have a Lightning Bolt on his board. No leashes back then. Check out how he body surfs in after getting munched. He was my hero back in the day.

Carlos on the soundtrack, Gerry on the Bolt, two masters who are still the kings of style.

Good stuff Paulie, that sounds like a lotta fun. With all the technology we have today, it probably is never quite the same huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Okay, so I'm a glutton for abuse. . . have at it:
    <<So, this week, 50 years ago at 14....]
    Thanks for the reminiscing. Brought back my own memories from early teenage years in early 70s So. Calif and how we used to cobble together gear for skin diving, spear fishing and hunting abalone off Palos Verdes. Wetsuits, if we wore them, usually consisted of of ill fitting beaver tail tops, booties, and gloves. The latter were more for hand protection from rocky reefs, barnacles, mussels, fish fins, etc. Gardening gloves were also used.
    Much was a hodgepodge collection of assembled parts from dive store or surf shop cast-offs or hand-me-downs from older brothers or friends. Hawaiian slings and spear guns were old ones which we often had to repair. Some slings we made ourselves from the gathered components. Most of us gave surfing a try, but we were more into diving then.

Okay, so I'm a glutton for abuse. . . have at it:
    <<So, this week, 50 years ago at 14, I got my second real paycheck from working as a pool boy/ mini golf attendant and go-fer at the Stockton Motel in Cape May.
    Wow... I worked down the street at the Stockholm Motor Inn. This was about 35 years ago. At that time, if they were the same owners, your boss and my boss were good friends. I remember my boss telling me that our grass wasn't as good as your grass, and it burned him up!

Poverty Beach, btw, was the only beach that could handle big hurricane swells, and guys would come from all over to surf that beach. With so many guys in the water, the armed guard at the coast guard hut would get really nervous...

Images
    Yep, Wally Ryder was quite a character, his wife and kids were very gracioius as well. Heck, they hired me didn't they?

Images
    Old School single fin, mini rhino chaser. 7'3" built as a custom design modeled after a Brewer Mini Gun template in 1974.

Growing up surfing in SoCal in the 70's, I couldn't believe that people actually surfed the East Coast during that period (with the exception of Hatteras and Coastal Florida). Stupid, right? I would actually get psyched finding out that guys named Peter Pan would surf Rhode Island, it was unbelievable. I mean, those areas of the country never got any exposure in Surfer, Surfing or Breakout, right? LOL.

I had a buddy that moved to the outskirts of DC when he was 16, and he left me his board. Little did any of us know that you guys are actually holding in OC and Jerz.

We were so sheltered and arrogant back then. I met my first Texas surfer on my first sojourn deep into Mainland Mexico. I didn't even have a clue that Texas had any surf at all. Funny thing was, he surfed better than me or any of my buddies....and spoke Spanish to boot.

Winter surfers on the EC have it made, as long as rubber technology keeps improving and all the kooks continue to wuss out. Rock on, my cold water brothers.

fixing a 6'4'' nomad now... center fin seems too big that I have... feeling like buying a flex fin for it... anyone have a recommendation?

Old School single fin, mini rhino chaser. 7'3" built as a custom design modeled after a Brewer Mini Gun template in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wet Monster View Post
    fixing a 6'4'' nomad now... center fin seems too big that I have... feeling like buying a flex fin for it... anyone have a recommendation?
    Depends on what kind of waves you ride it in... but something like an 8" Yater Classic should be a nice match for average surf. Go smaller for big waves... which is what that board was built for.

My first surfboard was a 7' green Nomad single fin with duct tape on the rails. I had to keep it in the bushes at the haunted house where we hung out and surfed because my parents thought I would put my eye out if I surfed. It got stolen a month or so into my first summer of stand up surfing. The next one I bought, I grew a pair and kept in the garage at home.

Ron Heavyside and Smitty are still shaping boards down at the Nomad Surf Shop in Ocean Ridge, FL. They are both sights to be seen. Crusty as a couple of barnacles on a whale's a$$. Ron's kids are real shredders - pro class.