LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I started surfing in my early twenties and now I'm in my mid thirties am in better shape than I was then. That's crazy to me because I was a college athlete. If you're an athletic person, keep in shape and have coordination and determination, you can learn at a later age. I am envious of people who learned young though.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Yeah beats taking up fu*king crossfit.
    I'm not sure exactly what crossfit is, do they have class like things, with like weights and balls and stuff? I think they might do that on the boardwalk some mornings? I find having people up on the boardwalk doing jumping jacks or whatever is much better than having them in the water.

You know what I never see? Groms. Maybe I am just in the wrong place at the wrong times, but all of the beginners I see these days are at least in their late twenties. Only ever see kids at contests, with their parents watching.

Quote Originally Posted by sbx View Post
    You know what I never see? Groms. Maybe I am just in the wrong place at the wrong times, but all of the beginners I see these days are at least in their late twenties. Only ever see kids at contests, with their parents watching.
    50% groms down on the IOP. However, quite a few of them are charging harder than more seasoned guys I surf with.

Images
    I'm not sure exactly what crossfit is, do they have class like things, with like weights and balls and stuff? I think they might do that on the boardwalk some mornings? I find having people up on the boardwalk doing jumping jacks or whatever is much better than having them in the water.
    They do, and it's actually good stuff if you maintain good form, but very cultish and they never shut up about it...but you hit the nail on the head, better there than have them in the water.

Jake, these guys gave you great pointers for when you're in the water.

Do this stuff for the other 85% of the days out of the year when you can't surf so you can kill it when the swell hits:

1. Cardio is king. Start running at least a few times a week and keep running longer and faster as you progress. On the days you don't run, find a rowing machine to use. These are great full-body workouts that'll increase endurance and overall physical strength. You'll also shed pounds like a fatty with gastro, in turn, making it easier to pop up and balance.
    2. Someone mentioned this earlier - push-ups, pull-ups, core strength. Try to do one of these each day on a rotational schedule.
    3. Mix in some yoga to keep the body guessing and get some flexibility.

I used to not surf very much because I wasn't in good shape and it was a struggle for me. I went to school at a landlocked college and picked up running. I got into the best shape of my life that first year and when I went back home in the summer, I started surfing again. It was so much easier for me because I was in such good shape and I was able to quickly learn and progress beyond the point of other guys who had been surfing for years just in that one summer.

Peak physical fitness will improve your surfing and overall life experience. No Excuses. Get after it.

Images
    Kids are taking over surfing. They are getting better and better, younger and younger. On any given day at a good spot in CA, you will see a dozen 11-13 years old just boosting crazy and just throwing their boards around the wave face like they are skate boards. Not to mention tucking into barrels of all size, from tiny to huge. Kids used to always have talent, but now they have developed style by age 10. Little teenagers that way 100 pounds can power surf and throw huge hacks, tuck in a little barrel and then stick a 360 frontside air totally clean....

It's a sad state of affairs, but it's incredible to watch. John John was one of the first kids from the next generation to break through into the big leagues. But man, the future is in the youth.

No matter where you live, I am sure you can all agree that the talent levels at such a young age are insane.

There was a 13-14 year old kid surfing next to me most of the day during arthur. We were trading waves most of the time. This kid was getting 3 barrels to my every 1. He was just popping up, all 110, 5'4" of him, tucking right into the backdoor of the barrels. It wasn't really an air kind of day, but I was impressed with the kid.

He probably got more barrels that day than anyone else on this island, and he was 13-14, maybe 15 max. Little dude was putting on a barrel clinic.

Honest question, and please don't take this the wrong way--why do you want to surf? I see so many adult beginners these days, and I guess I just dont get it."
    You really don't get it? Here are some thoughts. I took up surfing three years ago at age 60 after a casual remark from one of the best local surfers of, "You could surf" -- like many, I was hooked the first wave, and go out every weekend after work. Before that, working and raising kids got my full attention .

Why do it now? For one thing, nothing I have done besides raising kids has been so much freaking fun. And being outside in the ocean with friends, surfing, laughing, trash talking, is wonderful too. Time stands still, all thoughts and cares disappear when surfing. The physicality of it is awesome. Learning something that is so hard is great too. The physical sensation of the drop and the ride is amazing...

No, I sill never surf as well as someone who started younger, but who the F cares? it's not a contest or a race. It's just freaking fun!

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    I didn't start until I was 29, and since I am a runner, I can tell you I am in better shape than most young beginners. If you are in good shape, it shouldn't be that difficult to put in some time and get good enough that you can have fun out there. Surfing is a rush to me, even though I am not great at it (yet). As I get better, it will continue to make me happier. I already loved the ocean, so this is another hobby that brings me closer to it. I will probably never compete, and I don't really care about pulling off tricks, but I will always have fun. If it stops being fun and starts to feel more like work, I will probably quit. I think it is great that a 40y/o person wants to take up a sport like this. Most would just go for something a lot easier.
    wanna get better? try a f/w advance. i've been short boarding for 50 years - yup 50 - and i HAVE NEVER
    seen a board work so well. just a thot...

Here's the thing that gets to me though, I get everyone can talk in platitudes and cliches about surfing, I mean really, is there any other way to talk about it? So yeah, you feel so free, so alive, so in touch with nature, all that. But when I was a kid, I don't remember any adult beginners. Can anyone who was surfing 25 or 30 years ago confirm or deny that? The closest I remember might be some kid's dad who used to surf and got a longboard when you could get a new one again at the local shops. Like, an adult beginner wouldn't have even seemed like a possibility to me. So what has changed? Is it surf schools, wetsuit technology, softtops, what? It can just be that everyone wants to feel good now and before they didn't?