LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tyler Warren gets it...alternative boards = fun

alternative boards, anything but surfing on a HPSB for me is more fun and more entertaining to watch. The best pros surfing on their shortboards is dynamic and radical but it all looks the same. Longboards, fun boards, fish's etc. are more fun to watch and surf...check out Tyler on a mini simmons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZOBzF4FPvo
    Last edited by Jai-Guru; Jul 9, 2014 at 04:33 PM.

painful to watch in slow-mo

Hes top notch. Bought a print from him too. great artist. Tom curren has been enjoying some alt shapes lately too...http://store.mollusksurfshop.com/col...yler-warren-tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1EDiBHWyjA

Curren....this guys surfing is timeless! Just watch his surfing on the first mini Simmons/egg shape. He seriously could jump on tour and smoke some ASP egos. Just love this guys flow...ridiculous rhythm. Long live Curren

Quote Originally Posted by Jai-Guru View Post
    alternative boards, anything but surfing on a HPSB for me is more fun and more entertaining to watch. The best pros surfing on their shortboards is dynamic and radical but it all looks the same. Longboards, fun boards, fish's etc. are more fun to watch and surf...check out Tyler on a mini simmons.
    I tend to agree. I find longboarding, surfing on coffee tables, etc., as well as big wave riding, much more entertaining to watch. Also anything at the Wedge.

Images
    TOOOO SLOWWWWWWW.....

Very cool video. The guy is ripping.

Disclaimer: It is a shoulder to head high day at Trestles. For anyone who hasn't surfed lowers, you can surf that place on a good day on a door, coffee table, soft top, Alaia or pretty much anything that floats.

So, while that is a great mini simmons video, there is not a wave on this entire coast that would setup and allow for that kind of timing, smooth transitioning and just general shreddability. He is working way harder than it looks to do all those turns and tricks. Watch how flexible he is, and how much he bends his body, knees, legs, rail grabs and stuff....

Definitely an interesting video, but you could ride any board at lowers and it will feel easy. I wouldn't say trestles is the "best" wave I have ever surfed, but that place is the easiest place to rip that I have ever been too. People always call it a skate park, because regardless of how you surf (barrels excluded), you can just rape that place.

Speed that video up a bit though. Dang.

ive seen some of his surfing before.....actually before I got my minisimmons and was definitely super inspired by it. insane style. those boards are so fun too. on the right day when it lines up off a jetty, they are so fun to ride.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    TOOOO SLOWWWWWWW.....

Very cool video. The guy is ripping.

Disclaimer: It is a shoulder to head high day at Trestles. For anyone who hasn't surfed lowers, you can surf that place on a good day on a door, coffee table, soft top, Alaia or pretty much anything that floats.

So, while that is a great mini simmons video, there is not a wave on this entire coast that would setup and allow for that kind of timing, smooth transitioning and just general shreddability. He is working way harder than it looks to do all those turns and tricks. Watch how flexible he is, and how much he bends his body, knees, legs, rail grabs and stuff....

Definitely an interesting video, but you could ride any board at lowers and it will feel easy. I wouldn't say trestles is the "best" wave I have ever surfed, but that place is the easiest place to rip that I have ever been too. People always call it a skate park, because regardless of how you surf (barrels excluded), you can just rape that place.

Speed that video up a bit though. Dang.
    excellent point - going alternative still requires some kind of rideable wave. the more so, the better.

that being said, i've spent more time this summer on one of these than my regular short board (primarily due to lack of decent surf) and have had a lot of fun doing so. money well spent on more options for summer slop. of course, if i had a wave like Trestles, it would look so awesome by EC standards that i wouldn't even think about alternative boards.

you know where Slater learned how to surf like a champ? Tom Curren! How old is this friggen guy? 50? Unbelievable...Still shredding like a kid, but, a kid could never be so silky smooth.

Really want to try the mini simmons. I ride fishy type boards for the glide and need to save for a Mini. And yes,,,, it's lowers people... http://vimeo.com/8941685