Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Surfing the Great Lakes

Is this on anyone else's bucket list? If you have, how did you make out? What lake? If you have a good story, please share.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly View Post
    Is this on anyone else's bucket list? If you have, how did you make out? What lake? If you have a good story, please share.
    What are you, a detective? Enough already with your inane thread starters. Post something of substance, dill pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    What are you, a detective? Enough already with your inane thread starters. Post something of substance, dill pickle.
    Yankee,

Hello. I've been a lurker on this site for the last 5 years. You are a funny guy and great at getting under peoples skin. I know that I am new...and I expected you to be the first person to bust my balls. That is fine. I don't have the energy or the ability to compete with your writing skills in an argument, they are damn good. Enjoy your Friday night!
    Last edited by Dilly; Aug 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Sometimes I make no sense

I live in chicago but never made the time to surf. I guess you need a 7mil and crazy winter storms(?) and need to go to a very specific spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly View Post
    Yankee,

Hello. I've been a lurker on this site for the last 5 years. You are a funny guy and great at getting under peoples skin. I know that I am new...and I expected you to be the first person to bust my balls. That is fine. I don't have the energy or the ability to compete with your writing skills in an argument, they are damn good. Enjoy your Friday night!
    You too, pickle. Let us know how Lake Michigan works out for you this wknd.

Images
    surfed Selkirk Shore and Fair Haven, Lake Ontario NY last November (as I was home in Roch, NY for a family function). Very disorganized. Doing more research it looks as though Oswego, NY has a good spot to hit, but mostly for winter storms (north wind) and what November was was mostly west wind. I've read that the mouth of the St Lawrence has a spot that works in the right conditions. My biggest fear was what was under the water. I was not familiar with the spots, and had no idea what kind of man-made contraptions might be underneath the 6-8 footers.

here's a link for Ontario

here's a surf shop link from Chicago

west side of michigan looks to be the place to go, otherwise i think most lakes are very finicky and you're always gonna be living with on-shores....

Images
    i surfed lake erie during hurricane sandy it had a crazy sideshore current. the waves were about 6 foot, then the other time i went i get very sicks from surfing the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by your pier View Post
    surfed Selkirk Shore and Fair Haven, Lake Ontario NY last November (as I was home in Roch, NY for a family function). Very disorganized. Doing more research it looks as though Oswego, NY has a good spot to hit, but mostly for winter storms (north wind) and what November was was mostly west wind. I've read that the mouth of the St Lawrence has a spot that works in the right conditions. My biggest fear was what was under the water. I was not familiar with the spots, and had no idea what kind of man-made contraptions might be underneath the 6-8 footers.

here's a link for Ontario

here's a surf shop link from Chicago

west side of michigan looks to be the place to go, otherwise i think most lakes are very finicky and you're always gonna be living with on-shores....
    I fly fish the Salmon River for steelhead about 4-5 times a year in Pulaski. Definitely going to bring my board and suit each time I head up. Might luck out. Thanks for the post and links.

Images
    I surfed there about two years ago. Went out for a wedding and was totally blessed to stay in a lake front summer shack- if it wasn't for the fresh water, you would think you where ocean front. I didn't know what to expect... Had some free time and found a board on the beach under a sailboat... So naturally....
    image.jpg

Well- it's no Belmar... But yea, I would go again...

Images
    Oh yea... Bring some wax... Didn't have any out there

This was in grand haven mi. They actually have full on surf shops out there too!
    Last edited by walkingonh2o; Aug 23, 2014 at 02:32 AM.