Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto advice

Auto advice

We had a flooding rain this week and my van got swamped. It limped home and would restart after I turned it off. The next morning, it would crank and idle roughly, but would conk out when gas applied. It's a 05 ford econoline 250.

I'm hoping to be able to get it running enough to get to my mechanic. any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

how high did the water go?

I had the same thing happen. Once it dried out (couple days) I was able t get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    We had a flooding rain this week and my van got swamped. It limped home and would restart after I turned it off. The next morning, it would crank and idle roughly, but would conk out when gas applied. It's a 05 ford econoline 250.

I'm hoping to be able to get it running enough to get to my mechanic. any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.
    Thats an insurance claim bro. Call your insurance company. New Van UP!!

Unless your ridin dirty... then your beat. I would say you got water in the catalytic converter.

Did he drive it off a bridge? How would water get up to the intake on an econoline van? Haha

I would imagine he could possibly get water in his intake if he was driving, splashing water around. But I would think it's more likely he just got water in his plugs, he could pull them and check, and dry out the wells if there's water in there.

Relax killer. Its obviously not impossible. Just very, very, unlikely. If you replace the nissan and the dodge in those pictures with an econoline.. my point would be made.

yea ur intake might be flooded but I doubt the water got that high.try getting a new battery and check ur fuses.if the electrical system got flooded while ur battery was connected then junk it because it will take an entire overhaul and cost way more to fix than get a new ride.my cousins a mechanic he told me a good thing right after sandy even tho it was too late since I lost 3 cars,if u disconnect the negative battery cable before a flood,ur car will live.if its connected and u get flooded its over

Chich, try the easy stuff first. Access the distributor cap, pull it off and spray some WD-40 in it and re-install it (to get rid of any water). Sometimes, heavy rain will condensate in certain areas and do wacky stuff. If that doesn't do the trick, we can move forward with some other steps.

Unless your van was in standing water up to the floorboard, I wouldn't worry about catalytic converters and such. Most likely related to water somehow making its way into your engine bay....either spark or fuel related.