LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto advice

Auto advice

We had a flooding rain this week and my van got swamped. It limped home and would restart after I turned it off. The next morning, it would crank and idle roughly, but would conk out when gas applied. It's a 05 ford econoline 250.

I'm hoping to be able to get it running enough to get to my mechanic. any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

how high did the water go?

I had the same thing happen. Once it dried out (couple days) I was able t get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    We had a flooding rain this week and my van got swamped. It limped home and would restart after I turned it off. The next morning, it would crank and idle roughly, but would conk out when gas applied. It's a 05 ford econoline 250.

I'm hoping to be able to get it running enough to get to my mechanic. any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.
    Thats an insurance claim bro. Call your insurance company. New Van UP!!

Unless your ridin dirty... then your beat. I would say you got water in the catalytic converter.

If we're talking diesel, I got nothing, ask Brew. But reg. gas, I'm betting water got in the intake man. Is the airfilter dry? Start there and start working in. Could just be as simple as a wet air filter. You might want to do a compression test on the cylinders. Most decent auto parts stores will loan you a compression tester. If water got past the intake, yeah, that's bad news. A low compression on one of the cylinders could indicate that you damaged some of the internals. If it's idling really rough, and when you step on it, it konks out, it could mean there's something wrong between the crank and the head and there aren't too many pieces there; and when they don't work, the car don't go and they cost big money. Labor mostly.

Hopefully it's just an airflow problem though. 05 Econoline is OBD2, right, got a check engine light? If so, plug in an OBD2 reader and see what pops up, if you don't own one, borrow one from the auto parts store.

Good luck Cheech, reminds me I gotta change my oil.

Did he drive it off a bridge? How would water get up to the intake on an econoline van? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdperson View Post
    Did he drive it off a bridge? How would water get up to the intake on an econoline van? Haha
    You're right, that's impossible. What could I have been thinking? Of course, I've also lived in a lot of places where people drive BIG trucks and which have flash flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by CJsurf View Post
    We got waffled here in Ocean City, NJ yesterday too. 5 inches of rain in under an hour. Tons of tourist cars swamped all over the island.

I would imagine he could possibly get water in his intake if he was driving, splashing water around. But I would think it's more likely he just got water in his plugs, he could pull them and check, and dry out the wells if there's water in there.

Relax killer. Its obviously not impossible. Just very, very, unlikely. If you replace the nissan and the dodge in those pictures with an econoline.. my point would be made.