LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Attention floridians

Time to dust off the old monkey wrench and get some sand ready. Make it economically non-sensical for this to happen. Destroy their machines.

http://www.examiner.com/article/um-s...nservationists

They are like aliens. Walmart must be like from Mars, just trying to slowly take over. Them and Disneyhood. I once read they are planning uranium enrichment underground below the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. I wouldn't put it past them.

it's miami, that's not even in this country

no cares given

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Time to dust off the old monkey wrench and get some sand ready. Make it economically non-sensical for this to happen. Destroy their machines.

http://www.examiner.com/article/um-s...nservationists
    Not a big shocker. I am surprised that they went for such a high profile site. Walmart meets opposition in every town, every city that they put a new one in. The mom and pops faught this nation wide back in the 90s, and the precedent was set. Little guy loses. People will sacrifice their own beliefs for convenience and money. For cheap toilet paper, ground beef and bulk soda, people say, who gives a fu** about a bald eagle?

And with UM and them, if there were no restrictions on the sale or use of this land, maybe the federal or state government should have put a bid in for it for conservation purposes. But you can hardly fault a public company for trying to flip land for profit. That article never stats how much Walmart paid for the land. A few hundred Mill I would think? They also didn't cite anything in the article that indicates the impact. This is 88 acres or so, of how many? Is it a few thousands of acres? Did walmart already perform due diligence and see results say that trimming down that portion would simply move a few animals down. It was very vague. I would just assume there are two sides to a story. Even though Walmart is a corporate juggernaut, they still deal with public relations and I find it hard to believe that they just said fu** it. It's not like they are known for building on top of Indian Burial grounds and stuff. I am sure they have gone after numerous properties and either been denied, or realized that their impact would be too great.

I have never worked for a company like them, but I have worked for a lot of companies, including financial firms, and a lot of people think everyone is so irresponsible and I have found that not to be true. People at the big boy table talk about these things. A lot of people involved in this probably had to analyse the environmental impact. Since they problems about 8 years ago, Walmart has become a lot more transparent about their business, employees and ethics. When money is on the table, it trumps ethics a lot of the time. But I dunno.

Sad story, but not surprising. With land dwindling and over population a serious concern, it's only a matter of time before we start looking at places differently. State reserves, farm land. All of it.

I avoid walmart like the plague. The inexpensive stuff they sell is such garbage, it's either unusable out of the box or falls apart within a couple weeks....if you got something from WM that lasted longer, consider yourself lucky. As far as they're "higher-end" products, they're not that much cheaper than other stores to warrant going out of your way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I avoid walmart like the plague. The inexpensive stuff they sell is such garbage, it's either unusable out of the box or falls apart within a couple weeks....if you got something from WM that lasted longer, consider yourself lucky. As far as they're "higher-end" products, they're not that much cheaper than other stores to warrant going out of your way.
    Yeah, but as a dude with a wife and three year old. WM has the cheapest diapers, food, TP, cat litter, tooth paste, even groceries. It is what it is. We have Fresh Market, Kroger, Whole Foods, Bilo, Harris Teeter, all that. Walmart has the same sh** at a better price. I mean, I don't go there buying important sh** like furniture and stuff, but it is what it is.

My best example is visine. The walmart brand visine costs .89. The cheapest off brand besides that is at CVS for like 4.49....

Walmart doesn't rule the world for no reason. I mean, yeah, the boogie boards they sell are crap, but people literally throw them in the trash at the end of the week. You think a guy from Kentucky needs a beach chair once he leaves Hilton Head? As long as the POS holds up for 6-7 days, it's all good and it cost 10 bucks. You go to a local specialty store, you are paying $30 for a POS chair.....

Just saying, for the necessities in life, Walmart pretty much destroys their competition, unless you are into bargain shopping for expired food at that Dollar General....

I drop $100 a week at walmart, Easy. Big as$ bags of dog food. Pull ups. Detergent.... There is nothing structural in my home from Walmart... But with that being said, sometimes I walk down the isle and see a 1080p, 55 inch flat screen for like $200. If I didn't already have 6 flat screens, I would buy another. Sony is still Sony, even in a walmart.

Images
    Gawd, here I am defending Walmart. I have become quite the tool lately. The 22 year old me just appeared out of thin air, slapped me in the face and said "You know why", then vanished.

brb, gonna look for the story where walmart paved over a bunch of gopher tortoise's

story said it took the tortoise like 6 months to die because they could survive so long w/o water

doing PD&E for FDOT i got to hear all the stories of contractors killing birds, fish, aquatic vegetation, etc

nothing really new for south florida

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    brb, gonna look for the story where walmart paved over a bunch of gopher tortoise's

story said it took the tortoise like 6 months to die because they could survive so long w/o water
    For reals?