LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,916
    Images
    6

    Attention floridians

    Time to dust off the old monkey wrench and get some sand ready. Make it economically non-sensical for this to happen. Destroy their machines.

    http://www.examiner.com/article/um-s...nservationists

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,409
    They are like aliens. Walmart must be like from Mars, just trying to slowly take over. Them and Disneyhood. I once read they are planning uranium enrichment underground below the Magic Kingdom in Orlando. I wouldn't put it past them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wb
    Posts
    1,711
    it's miami, that's not even in this country

    no cares given

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,448
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    it's miami, that's not even in this country

    no cares given
    This! Haha, j/k

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,434
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Time to dust off the old monkey wrench and get some sand ready. Make it economically non-sensical for this to happen. Destroy their machines.

    http://www.examiner.com/article/um-s...nservationists
    Not a big shocker. I am surprised that they went for such a high profile site. Walmart meets opposition in every town, every city that they put a new one in. The mom and pops faught this nation wide back in the 90s, and the precedent was set. Little guy loses. People will sacrifice their own beliefs for convenience and money. For cheap toilet paper, ground beef and bulk soda, people say, who gives a fu** about a bald eagle?

    And with UM and them, if there were no restrictions on the sale or use of this land, maybe the federal or state government should have put a bid in for it for conservation purposes. But you can hardly fault a public company for trying to flip land for profit. That article never stats how much Walmart paid for the land. A few hundred Mill I would think? They also didn't cite anything in the article that indicates the impact. This is 88 acres or so, of how many? Is it a few thousands of acres? Did walmart already perform due diligence and see results say that trimming down that portion would simply move a few animals down. It was very vague. I would just assume there are two sides to a story. Even though Walmart is a corporate juggernaut, they still deal with public relations and I find it hard to believe that they just said fu** it. It's not like they are known for building on top of Indian Burial grounds and stuff. I am sure they have gone after numerous properties and either been denied, or realized that their impact would be too great.

    I have never worked for a company like them, but I have worked for a lot of companies, including financial firms, and a lot of people think everyone is so irresponsible and I have found that not to be true. People at the big boy table talk about these things. A lot of people involved in this probably had to analyse the environmental impact. Since they problems about 8 years ago, Walmart has become a lot more transparent about their business, employees and ethics. When money is on the table, it trumps ethics a lot of the time. But I dunno.

    Sad story, but not surprising. With land dwindling and over population a serious concern, it's only a matter of time before we start looking at places differently. State reserves, farm land. All of it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Not a big shocker. I am surprised that they went for such a high profile site. Walmart meets opposition in every town, every city that they put a new one in. The mom and pops faught this nation wide back in the 90s, and the precedent was set. Little guy loses. People will sacrifice their own beliefs for convenience and money. For cheap toilet paper, ground beef and bulk soda, people say, who gives a fu** about a bald eagle?

    And with UM and them, if there were no restrictions on the sale or use of this land, maybe the federal or state government should have put a bid in for it for conservation purposes. But you can hardly fault a public company for trying to flip land for profit. That article never stats how much Walmart paid for the land. A few hundred Mill I would think? They also didn't cite anything in the article that indicates the impact. This is 88 acres or so, of how many? Is it a few thousands of acres? Did walmart already perform due diligence and see results say that trimming down that portion would simply move a few animals down. It was very vague. I would just assume there are two sides to a story. Even though Walmart is a corporate juggernaut, they still deal with public relations and I find it hard to believe that they just said fu** it. It's not like they are known for building on top of Indian Burial grounds and stuff. I am sure they have gone after numerous properties and either been denied, or realized that their impact would be too great.

    I have never worked for a company like them, but I have worked for a lot of companies, including financial firms, and a lot of people think everyone is so irresponsible and I have found that not to be true. People at the big boy table talk about these things. A lot of people involved in this probably had to analyse the environmental impact. Since they problems about 8 years ago, Walmart has become a lot more transparent about their business, employees and ethics. When money is on the table, it trumps ethics a lot of the time. But I dunno.

    Sad story, but not surprising. With land dwindling and over population a serious concern, it's only a matter of time before we start looking at places differently. State reserves, farm land. All of it.
    Zach, you post some interesting stuff from time to time. But this ain't it.

    These fugging people at Walmart, and other industrialists, are thinly veiled evil. Why are they evil? Because they do shiiite like this, just like this, frequently. Thus putting on display their callous disregard for the others in the human race as well as other creatures who inhabit this planet.

    This, Zach, this is the problem. Want to know why the human race is the scourge of the planet? This, Zach, this right here. Walmart is just like Goldman Sachs in the sense that they are a "vampire squid upon the face of humanity" as so well put by Matt Taibbi.

    I'm not going to tell you to grow a set & get a clue as to where you spend your money. Nor would it be my place to say to you that your reasons for shopping at Walmart are mere window-dressing for a lack of ethics. And I certainly would never say to a person with your value system that you lack backbone and thus are part of the problem for the dwindling remainder of the people who still want ethics, who want accountability & who want to end this scurrilous behavior by industrialists like Walmart.

    No, I'll leave it up to someone else to make that judgment.

    I haven't bought gasoline at Exxon since those pricks pulled their Valdez spill. Haven't bought BP since they destroyed our Gulf. I won't buy McDonalds, not only because it's poison, but because McD's are backers of Sea World aka Torture World. It ain't hard, you make your decisions, there are options & choices.

    And here's another example: Gates along with uncle Warren and the rest of the “industrialists” lying all the way down the road. Like the article says, time to take away their free pass.

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...t-Worker-Visas
    Last edited by yankee; Jul 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,434
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Zach, you post some interesting stuff from time to time. But this ain't it.

    These fugging people at Walmart, and other industrialists, are thinly veiled evil. Why are they evil? Because they do shiiite like this, just like this, frequently. Thus putting on display their callous disregard for the others in the human race as well as other creatures who inhabit this planet.

    This, Zach, this is the problem. Want to know why the human race is the scourge of the planet? This, Zach, this right here. Walmart is just like Goldman Sachs in the sense that they are a "vampire squid upon the face of humanity" as so well put by Matt Taibbi.

    I'm not going to tell you to grow a set & get a clue as to where you spend your money. Nor would it be my place to say to you that your reasons for shopping at Walmart are mere window-dressing for a lack of ethics. And I certainly would never say to a person with your value system that you lack backbone and thus are part of the problem for the dwindling remainder of the people who still want ethics, who want accountability & who want to end this scurrilous behavior by industrialists like Walmart.

    No, I'll leave it up to someone else to make that judgment.

    I haven't bought gasoline at Exxon since those pricks pulled their Valdez spill. Haven't bought BP since they destroyed our Gulf. I won't buy McDonalds, not only because it's poison, but because McD's are backers of Sea World aka Torture World. It ain't hard, you make your decisions, there are options & choices.

    And here's another example: Gates along with uncle Warren and the rest of the “industrialists” lying all the way down the road. Like the article says, time to take away their free pass.

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...t-Worker-Visas
    I hear ya Yank... But with that being said, I "BET" you didn't feel this way jetting around the country, working in the financial industry, now did you? You didn't have a problem working for the evil empire, lining their pockets with money, but you take issue to buying cheap toiletries from Walmart....

    I guess my best answer to you is that I pick my battles. If I stood up and fought everytime I disagreed with policies or companies in this country, I would have left here years ago. Honestly, I thought about it. I could be the guy saying, "fu** the banks" and keep my money in a matress. I could say "fu** the insurance industry" and go without coverage. I could say, screw the government, because I don't agree with their current administration and evade my taxes. I could say, ohh, there is so much BS on the news, so I would stop watching it....

    Hopefully you can see where I am going with this. But not buying gas from BP could make you sleep better at night, but what kind of vehicle do you drive, and what kind of gas milage do you get? Cause if you think Shell, or whoever you are sucking down all your "petro" from is any better or any more responsible than BP, I would say that you are wrong.

    So, I am just saying. I pick my battles. Walmart is NOT one of them. They employ a ton of people in this town alone. They treat the local employees well. They offer quality goods and great prices.

    I go to sea world, cause it's fun. I eat at McDonald's cause its cheap and it's good. I wear nike's sometimes despite their sweatshops.

    Yankee, do you have an iPhone? Do you wear nikes? I mean, I am not going to go back and forth about who is more noble, but unless you sit down and do a life audit and can come to me with a clean record, saying you don't give money to any irresponsible companies, then I really can't get on board with you there.

    So, I hear you about your views. That is cool. Whatever makes you sleep at night. I guess I would just say, I have given up on all the BS that doesn't matter. Cause just for the record.

    Your votes in the country don't count. Your efforts against BP are futile. McDonald's doesn't miss your business. The banks are, well, you know what they are, you made them money.

    You and I are in different parts of our lives. I look at my money, and the companies I do business with and its a free market. Best products, best prices gets my cash. That leaves me with more money to do what I want and give my family more of the things that they want and don't need.

    I bet you didn't feel this way when you were burning up jet fuel, getting into SUVs and zipping around the country working for "the man" and the banks. I bet you never asked your driver where the gas was from.

    So, maybe you are in a place in life where taking those person stands means something to you.

    I am just saying, I am not going to stop doing business with Walmart because they bought a lot in Dade County. It was an incomplete article that screamed sensationalism....

    But trust me, if I ever feel like a company like that is being reckless, I mean, any more reckless than EVERY OTHER COMPANY trading publicly that is of ANY value, then I won't shop there.....

    A couple palm trees is NOT the tipping point for me....

    I am not trying to tell yall Walmart is so great, I am just saying you guys are going down the slippery slope of hypocrisy, and I am just saying be careful. Check out where your wetsuit was made, where your car was made, what mileage you get, where you hat comes from, where your groceries come from, what airlines you use, what news you watch, what bank you use and all that.....

    So, you avoid Walmart for whatever reason, then drive past McDonald's to eat at Burger King, and on the way, you stop at Wells Fargo to get some cash out, and you drive an extra 60 miles to go to the aquarium because you hate seaworld.... Find the hidden message in all that.

    Again, often times, my specific opinions get challenged on a larger, fundamental level. I am not trying to preach about how great walmart is. I am saying, you all know this, its supposed to be a free market, and Walmart will have the control of said market for EVER until someone competes with them. And if no one can compete with them, you can't really complain. They fought a battle and they won.

    I don't believe in the healthcare system either. Ohh well. More people agree with it than don't I guess, so we move on and stop crying over spilled milk. I am not going to move to Costa Rica because Obama is in office.

    Know what I mean? I put my wife and daughter above all other things in this world. And if Walmart benefits them, their needs or comfort trumps ANYTHING else that I care about. I like the environment, I like Bald Eagles... But that's not the point. Doing a disservice to my family, based on some noble notion that I have is wrong on every count to me.
    Last edited by zach619; Jul 18, 2014 at 02:15 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I hear ya Yank... But with that being said, I "BET" you didn't feel this way jetting around the country, working in the financial industry, now did you? You didn't have a problem working for the evil empire, lining their pockets with money, but you take issue to buying cheap toiletries from Walmart....

    Uh, lame attempt on your part. I left that world 25 years ago. Made a conscious decision that it wasn't who I was, nor what I wanted any part of.

    I guess my best answer to you is that I pick my battles. If I stood up and fought everytime I disagreed with policies or companies in this country, I would have left here years ago. Honestly, I thought about it. I could be the guy saying, "fu** the banks" and keep my money in a matress. I could say "fu** the insurance industry" and go without coverage. I could say, screw the government, because I don't agree with their current administration and evade my taxes. I could say, ohh, there is so much BS on the news, so I would stop watching it....

    I pick mine, too; only proles don't. Having said that, you DO have choices. You choose to patronize Walmart. You can rationalize it any way you want to. It's your choice & your decision to spend your fundage at places that destroy the planet.

    Hopefully you can see where I am going with this. But not buying gas from BP could make you sleep better at night, but what kind of vehicle do you drive, and what kind of gas milage do you get? Cause if you think Shell, or whoever you are sucking down all your "petro" from is any better or any more responsible than BP, I would say that you are wrong.

    Again: choices Zach.

    So, I am just saying. I pick my battles. Walmart is NOT one of them. They employ a ton of people in this town alone. They treat the local employees well. They offer quality goods and great prices.

    WalMart is scum-sucking humans that decimate local economies. Wake up, sparky.

    I go to sea world, cause it's fun. I eat at McDonald's cause its cheap and it's good. I wear nike's sometimes despite their sweatshops.

    Well, there you go Zach, there you go.

    Yankee, do you have an iPhone? Do you wear nikes? I mean, I am not going to go back and forth about who is more noble, but unless you sit down and do a life audit and can come to me with a clean record, saying you don't give money to any irresponsible companies, then I really can't get on board with you there.

    There are no simple answers, Zach; only intelligent solutions. I'm not taking the nobility pledge. But who in their right mind would patronize known evil entities? Well, the answer is, you do. I don't respect that choice. I think it's lame.


    So, I hear you about your views. That is cool. Whatever makes you sleep at night. I guess I would just say, I have given up on all the BS that doesn't matter. Cause just for the record.

    Your votes in the country don't count. Your efforts against BP are futile. McDonald's doesn't miss your business. The banks are, well, you know what they are, you made them money.

    All for one and one for you. Wow what an outlook, and you're teaching that to kids? Great, just great, bunky.

    You and I are in different parts of our lives. I look at my money, and the companies I do business with and its a free market. Best products, best prices gets my cash. That leaves me with more money to do what I want and give my family more of the things that they want and don't need.

    Not really. I'm a global citizen and so are you. You just won't acknowledge it.

    I bet you didn't feel this way when you were burning up jet fuel, getting into SUVs and zipping around the country working for "the man" and the banks. I bet you never asked your driver where the gas was from.

    Again: weak-assed *****y off-topic lameness from you, sparky.

    So, maybe you are in a place in life where taking those person stands means something to you.

    I am just saying, I am not going to stop doing business with Walmart because they bought a lot in Dade County. It was an incomplete article that screamed sensationalism....

    Read up on their history; Walmart is a death machine.

    But trust me, if I ever feel like a company like that is being reckless, I mean, any more reckless than EVERY OTHER COMPANY trading publicly that is of ANY value, then I won't shop there.....

    A couple palm trees is NOT the tipping point for me....

    I am not trying to tell yall Walmart is so great, I am just saying you guys are going down the slippery slope of hypocrisy, and I am just saying be careful. Check out where your wetsuit was made, where your car was made, what mileage you get, where you hat comes from, where your groceries come from, what airlines you use, what news you watch, what bank you use and all that.....

    So, you avoid Walmart for whatever reason, then drive past McDonald's to eat at Burger King, and on the way, you stop at Wells Fargo to get some cash out, and you drive an extra 60 miles to go to the aquarium because you hate seaworld.... Find the hidden message in all that.

    Uh, actually, no, Zach, I don't do any of that.

    Again, often times, my specific opinions get challenged on a larger, fundamental level. I am not trying to preach about how great walmart is. I am saying, you all know this, its supposed to be a free market, and Walmart will have the control of said market for EVER until someone competes with them. And if no one can compete with them, you can't really complain. They fought a battle and they won.

    They win because people like you kowtow to them in your own whining little self-serving short-sighted way.

    I don't believe in the healthcare system either. Ohh well. More people agree with it than don't I guess, so we move on and stop crying over spilled milk. I am not going to move to Costa Rica because Obama is in office.

    Know what I mean? I put my wife and daughter above all other things in this world. And if Walmart benefits them, their needs or comfort trumps ANYTHING else that I care about. I like the environment, I like Bald Eagles... But that's not the point. Doing a disservice to my family, based on some noble notion that I have is wrong on every count to me.
    It was getting boring dealing with waynetheinsaaane. Now there's you, Zach. Have a nice evening shoppng at Walmart.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,434
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    It was getting boring dealing with waynetheinsaaane. Now there's you, Zach. Have a nice evening shoppng at Walmart.
    You keep stating that I am whining and bit**ing. Quite the contrary. I feel like the opposing view point is the one that is whining.

    And I am not going to explain to my 3 year old how I feel about the current country's political climate, and I also don't go over our weekly shopping agenda with her either. I don't sit around sharing my opinions of the world with everyone, I choose to do that on here, with the present company.

    Agree to disagree, but yes, day to day life sometimes does become self serving. Call it short sighted, call it what you will. But in my experiences, all of these strong opinions, and boycotting corporations and what you are talking about have never served me in any way. By me taking a stand against Walmart, who am I serving? They care nothing about my business. And if everyone on this forum stops shopping there, Miami/Dade is still getting a Walmart put there. It doesn't change anything. Like I said, I choose my battles based on pretty strong beliefs. I don't have strong enough beliefs to oppose Walmart.

    You do you. I will do me. The world will keep spinning. The Banks will stay paid, and Walmart will move on to another town, where everyone will oppose it, nothing will change and three weeks later the entire town will start shopping there. Seen this song and dance for 20 years. The outcome is always the same.

  10. #10
    I avoid walmart like the plague. The inexpensive stuff they sell is such garbage, it's either unusable out of the box or falls apart within a couple weeks....if you got something from WM that lasted longer, consider yourself lucky. As far as they're "higher-end" products, they're not that much cheaper than other stores to warrant going out of your way.