LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Score?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26

    Score?

    Not a lot of activity on here over the weekend it looks like. Was everyone out surfing?

    It was about waist+ down here over the weekend. Surfed a spot yesterday that I had never surfed. Was completely different than anywhere I have I have surfed down here. Super shore breaky, it was 2ft+, I was on the LB basically doing side/air drops into it. My 9' squirrel fin was catching sand. Got launched like a missile a few times.

    Dudes next to me were surf fishing. They hooked something big. Looked over, saw the pole bent in half. About a 1 minute fight and then the line snapped.

    Fun weekend though. Nothing to write home about, but it was still nice to get out both days.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Anyone familiar with HHI want to tell me why it's so shore breaky up in Port Royal Plantation? Is this because of the old beach replenishment? They hit the whole east side of the island I thought, unless they just stopped at Port Royal. Maybe it breaks that way because it wasn't replenished. Larger grains of sand I noticed with lots of small shells and rocks.

    I know when they dredged the sound, the filled up the entire North End beaches, which is where I go fish all the time, but there has to be an explanation as to why everything south of PRP breaks was further out and has a much more gradual slope, and then up in PRP it breaks like Delmarva.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wb
    Posts
    1,969
    wb was fun all weekend

    can't tell you a single thing about hhi though

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,790
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Not a lot of activity on here over the weekend it looks like. Was everyone out surfing?

    It was about waist+ down here over the weekend. Surfed a spot yesterday that I had never surfed. Was completely different than anywhere I have I have surfed down here. Super shore breaky, it was 2ft+, I was on the LB basically doing side/air drops into it. My 9' squirrel fin was catching sand. Got launched like a missile a few times.

    Dudes next to me were surf fishing. They hooked something big. Looked over, saw the pole bent in half. About a 1 minute fight and then the line snapped.

    Fun weekend though. Nothing to write home about, but it was still nice to get out both days.
    Yup, surfed my ass off all weekend, couldn't be happier right now!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    wb was fun all weekend

    can't tell you a single thing about hhi though
    Yeah, it's just weird. I could see that stretch of beach being sh**y most of the time, but with a bigger swell, it could get dumpy and barrel rich. There is a huge bank that extends out about a mile right about 1/4 mile north of where I was, so maybe that has something to do with it. I have just never seen waves in this area act that way before. It was very Maryland-Esque. Somedays that is a bad thing, some days that could be a very good thing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Just found some info. The stretch of beach that I surfed yesterday was "replenished" in Spring of 2012. So.... that's why it was a nice piece of sh**.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wb
    Posts
    1,969
    the shorebreak gets good here at high tide when the swell is out of the south. never from the ne or east. kina weird.

    god i love shorebreak. quick, punchy waves or barrels and no long paddle out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    the shorebreak gets good here at high tide when the swell is out of the south. never from the ne or east. kina weird.

    god i love shorebreak. quick, punchy waves or barrels and no long paddle out.
    Yeah, coulda been a lot more fun if it was a tad bigger and I wasn't on my 9'3. Pretty much every wave ended with my log on the beach and a bail out onto dry sand. Luckily the ol' ankles held up nicely on all the dismounts.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Speaking of scoring. I had told my buddy that I would go crabbing with him yesterday. Then my wife kindly reminded us both that my daughter's cousins birthday party was on the beach at 1:00 yesterday. So, I send the homie on Blue Crab detail for a few hours, while the kids play on the beach and I surfed. By 5:00 or so when we go home, I check in with the homie, and he texts me a picture back of a couple dozen Blues... Winded down the weekend with a blue crab feast.

    Double score. And I didn't even have to drop a trap. work smart, not hard. When in doubt, have the homie's gather crabs while I gather waves.

  10. #10
    Surfed all weekend...glassy most mornings throughout last week and into the weekend. Had a work meeting early today and wasn't able to hit it this morning...buddy called me to tell that it was waist+ all morning in south Jersey and really fun. To be honest...I was okay with missing it today after last week and the weekend...but man...loving this summer!