Newport RI Forecast+Cam Interpretation - "Is it worth driving to RI after work today"
Questions / Things I've Noticed
* It seems like there is usually (especially for S / SE swells) a big drop in wave height between the Block Island buoy (44097) and 1st/2nd beach -- i.e. buoy reading of 4ft 7second = 2ft waves hitting Newport
* Also seems like there is some delay (Maybe an hour?) from when the buoy reports a swell to when it hits the beach, although that's hard to tell since the buoy only updates once an hour.
* The first beach cams are a very iffy thing -- only updates every 20 minutes and the last update may have been a brief flat spell, they're only really good for telling if it is huge or not / seeing if there are like 100 people surfing at 1st beach... although on a 6-8ft day with the angle of the cam you might only be able to see the whitewash/people paddling out
* Checking the Gansett cam can help a lot too
* Usually if the Block Island buoy is less than 6 feet, it isn't worth driving to Rhode Island IMO
This was one of those little lows that moves up the coast - hardly registered on the buoys. Just a regular fun day with some chest highs moving through once in a while. I sent these two by text to some pals who were couching it. We ended up having a good day. If I remember correctly a few seals were out with us that day. Pretty sweet.
best way to know if its happening is to be there...
I have really bad luck with the txt/phone thing, usually if I get to a beach and it is firing I forget to txt anyone and don't remember until after it dies back down, I think my buds tend to be the same way...
Yeah I have seen some exceptions to the 6ft buoy rule (i.e. small buoy but still some good sets moving through, and one time when there was like 6-8ft swell on the buoy but nothing hitting Newport)..
Trying to decide if it is worth it tonight, it's a 1.5 hour drive and the buoys/cams look like **** currently but the forecast is interesting. I can probably sneak out of work a little early...
As far as your predicament today, hard to say...doesn't look great, but that would be sweet if it goes according to forecast...not sure what's causing that bump, haven't looked at the weather, but F it, I say go for it.