LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    How wide is your tail block? Where's the trailing edge of your front fins? How far is the trailing edge from the rail? Toe-in?

post some numbers

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATANTICOO View Post
    post some numbers
    Forgot to get a pic of it last night. I was out on a job site until after dark. Will get some in at lunch. I will go through my OLD google+ pics. I think I got a shot of it from tail to nose when I first bought it.

Images
    So, I poked around the internet. I knew that Micah posted a picture of this board on his blog/website when he was done shaping it for me.... This doesn't give you the exact measurements, but at least you can at least see the fin setup....

It's 5'7x19.75 to put it into perspective.....

fish-surfshot.JPG

You should definitely put some center plugs in it. Can be something fun to do on a flat day. It's just a surfboard. Your not gonna hurt it.

Make sure to wipe (where resin will contact) the plugs with acetone first, or at least sand em a little. Glue sandpaper on the jig you use to drill holes so it's less likely to move. Hold that thing tight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATANTICOO View Post
    You should definitely put some center plugs in it. Can be something fun to do on a flat day. It's just a surfboard. Your not gonna hurt it.

Make sure to wipe (where resin will contact) the plugs with acetone first, or at least sand em a little. Glue sandpaper on the jig you use to drill holes so it's less likely to move. Hold that thing tight.
    Based on the photo, how far up from the stringers tip on the tail should I think about dropping that center plug, or you could describe it based on how far "back" from the current back fins.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Based on the photo, how far up from the stringers tip on the tail should I think about dropping that center plug, or you could describe it based on how far "back" from the current back fins.
    Tough call without any info on where the fins are currently set. Poke around out the Mckee site. He is the man regarding fins. Has tons of fin placement info posted.

I'd guess the trailing edge of the front fins are set off the tail somewhere around 10 3/4" and 1 3/16" or 1 1 /4" off the rail. If you set the center fin too far back (3.25) on a wide tail and the cluster is too spread out, it can get a little tracky. But if the rails are kinda tucked in the tail (plus softer forward) you can get away with it. I'd go up...maybe 3.5 or 3.62.

I just shaped a 5'9 x 20.5 x 2.5 small wave board with a wide squash and soft, low pinched rails. The fins are 1.25" off the rail and 10 13/16 from the tail. The center fin is 3 5/8 off the tail. Pretty standard placements for a wider small wave board. Thing goes insane.

Standard HPSB in the 6' range fin placements are 11" from tail x 1.125 off the rail x center fin 3.38 - 3.5 off the tail depending on amount of vee/flip in the tail.