LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Any advice on not compromising the integrity of the stringer?
    You won't. A FCS plug isn't that deep. You drill the holes, pop out the pillar (carefully, no fuss and fight), then drill a tiny bit around the pillar. Just a shy 1/8". The resin 'H' pattern (from a cross section view) ties it all together.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Marlton, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    317
    Images
    1
    If you go for the center fin box, keep the quad setup and throw one of these little mofos in the center, should give more stability while still getting that loose speedy quad feeling


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Old Jersey
    Posts
    516
    Take it to a pro or leave it as is.

    It isn't that hard but if you have never done it before it might look bad/malign the board.

    Or try it yourself, hell I don't know.

    Up to you.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    I think Atanticoo is making this a bit more simplistic than it is...dropping plugs is not a difficult process, but doing a quality job is difficult without the proper tools and prep. To be honest, Aoo step-by-step looks great...sounds great...but I would still say take it to a shop as the routing and feathering is the what makes a finish look like crap or a quality product.

    Further, my other concern would be your rear fin placement...given the fact that you stated its a retro fish...I assume it has a pretty deep swallow? Usually a thruster rear fin placement is anywhere between 3" - 3 1/2" from the tail (im a fan of 3 1/4" from the tail). I wonder if that is possible from the tips of your swallow...

    Also, my point with the knubster was that it would give your fish a bit more drive and a bit more hold imho...doing a bit of the job of the thruster fin--additionally, I was recommending just a single FCS plug almost parallel with your rear fin plug.
    Nah, with all due respect.... it really is that simple. I've installed 1000's of em' and Im a moron. Not gonna name places Ive worked on this site, but I've worked at production shops shaping/glassing/sanding all over CA and can tell you this is how it's done by most everyone.

    The boaring bit helps after drilling the hole, but you really don't need it. Just be careful and don't fight it. As for getting the plugs flush on a board that's already been sanded, you just route em'. How hard is that? Rent one from Home Depot for $5. Aren't you in the Home Depot homeland?

    For fin positioning you should check this http://www.mckeesurf.com/
    This dude knows what up. You know the Curren at Jbay footage in the original Search movie? Mckee quads. Dude is Mr. Fin Genius
    Last edited by ATANTICOO; Jul 22, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ATANTICOO View Post
    Nah, with all due respect.... it really is that simple. I've installed 1000's of em' and Im a moron. Not gonna name places Ive worked on this site, but I've worked at production shops shaping/glassing/sanding all over CA and can tell you this is how it's done by most everyone.
    Fair enough...I don't disagree with you and likewise been doing this a while...I never recommend for someone to try it on their own the first time without some help and the right tools. I've see plenty of hackjobs by a backyarder and it only devalues the board when it has to fixed a second time...

    Quote Originally Posted by ATANTICOO View Post
    The boaring bit helps after drilling the hole, but you really don't need it. Just be careful and don't fight it. As for getting the plugs flush on a board that's already been sanded, you just route em'. How hard is that? Rent one from Home Depot for $5. Aren't you in the Home Depot homeland?
    Just route 'em?...what jig do you use for that to elevate the router?...interested as most of the guys I spoke to usually just sand 'em flat. Serious question...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,465
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    So, my quad/fish is pretty much the most active board in my quiver around these parts, aside from the LB of course. I will just cut the sh** and say it. I want to convert it to a 5 fin option, most commonly for thruster use. I love the board, I have it dialed in, I am just not a huge fan of the quad....

    So, would I butcher this board, that is otherwise mint condition by trying to cut into it and install a 5th FCS plug? Or should I just bite the bullet, call the local shaper and have him do it. I just don't want to compromise the integrity of the board, since she is a cherry at this point.

    Again, aside from some major repairs of the years and spending too much time in my shaper's bay in CA, I really have never shaped or done serious glassying....

    Is this an ill advised idea?

    Attachment 11661
    Attachment 11662
    As far as the fin placement, the recommendaiton is 3.25 from the tail. Its a medium swallow I would say. It's a shame neither photo actually shows it, but in pic #1, there is about another inch of board or so right out of the photo where the bottom of the V from the swallow starts. So, as far as the placement, after looking at all my other boards, which are thrusters, It looks like the proper setting is going to be 1/2 to an inch further back than the back two fins in the quad setup. If the back fins are taken completely out of the equation then, the setup will be pretty much the same placement as my other thursters. I only have one other SB with a very tiny swallow, so the other 10 boards I am looking at all have squash, rounds or pins, so I am trying to look at it rail to rail really, since there are a couple extra inches of foam and glass on the other tail configurations.

    Later, I will snap a picture, of the entire tail. Hopefully that will give you a clearer idea of what it looks like.

    My whole deal is, I love the board. I am just a thruster guy. This board is about 5 years old, custom shaped for me and it's gem. Not a scratch on it. Taken it all over the west coast, mexico, SE and it really is a great board and it generally does exactly what its supposed to. I am just being greedy about it, but I would not sacrifice damage to it for the sake of experiment.

    SO, I might be more inclined to actually convert one of my old beat up thrusters into a 5 fin/quad setup just to give it a test run and make sure I don't butcher it.

    Cause to be honest, I have never REALLY tried a HPSB in a quad setup. They just weren't a popular choice for any of the guys I surfed with in CA which is where all my boards are from. Quads weren't even really in the conversation, ever. This fish is actually the first quad I had ever asked Micah for.The kid I surfed with during Arthur was on a little HPSB with a quad setup and he was snatching a barrel on pretty much every wave.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    Fair enough...I don't disagree with you and likewise been doing this a while...I never recommend for someone to try it on their own the first time without some help and the right tools. I've see plenty of hackjobs by a backyarder and it only devalues the board when it has to fixed a second time...



    Just route 'em?...what jig do you use for that to elevate the router?...interested as most of the guys I spoke to usually just sand 'em flat. Serious question...
    You can sand em'. Not a big deal. But why make it take forever?...and still never be as flush as a router will get it. For a new board I route plugs then sand the whole board. Really easy to tap the weave when you sand those x2 plugs from the get-go. Those things are hard as sh!t compared to the glass around them. All the cool guys route em'

    You don't even really need a jig for routing if the opening on your router base is big enough and the majority are. Carefully plunge the router right into the plug and git er' done. Zip zip zip and your on to sanding the board. The cutting/routing isn't going on long enough to heat anything up like sanding will. Heat bad. I have seen dudes use jigs they made for routing plugs. Nothing special, just a rectangle square that fits over both plugs and has a wide enough lip or whatever for the router to ride on without rocking. I actually just use a laminate trimmer and set the router bit flush with the bottom of the base. Use a flush trim bit.
    Last edited by ATANTICOO; Jul 22, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,349
    Images
    8
    Have you considered playing around with different fins? There are a lot of quad options out there that may offer what you're looking for without turning your board into a "zach619 custom".

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,465
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Have you considered playing around with different fins? There are a lot of quad options out there that may offer what you're looking for without turning your board into a "zach619 custom".
    Haha. Not too much. I have dropped a few different fins into the front's and back's respectively. Tried the figure eight red FG3 foils in the back. A bit too big. Tried standard FCS FG5's up front. Really no difference there.

    But the go-to fins that I use are the one my shaper put with the board to begin with. They are FCS M4 Quattros with an M5 template in the larger two and the M2 template in the smaller two. I messed around with it at one point and put the M2's up front and the M5s in the back, but I could feel that it did nothing positive, so I switched it back to the intended M4 setup, which is the M5's up front and the M2's in the back.



    MORE:
    Description Item # SPM8092218802 Model # 300096448
    No M5 Sides M2 SidesThe FCS M4 quad design concept was pioneered by surfer shaper and inventor Bruce McKee The MSeries has a flexible tip for forgiveness and control at high speed The rear fin is designed to compliment the M5 template in the front and works best in conjunction with McKees fin placement guide The M2 Rear fin is designed for the lighter surfer and featuring inside foil technology and a consistently smooth flex pattern This smaller and round fin is extremely fast and lively and sits between the G1000 and G3000 in area Can be used across a variety of different conditions The Inside Foil technology offers superior drive and hold Glass flex offers a flex pattern modeled off a handfoiled fiberglass fin and the ability to hold highly technical computer generated foils accurately The M4 quad set can be used on a variety of board templates and offers drive and control



    Any advice would be appreciated. Again, I think I am splitting hairs a little with this whole thing, because I have this board dialed in. I was overall a little unhappy with it's responsiveness in the barrel, but again, I never thought I would be using this board for barrel riding when I got it shaped. On the west coast, this is what I would use in chest high, mushy reefs and points and it was a monster.... So, I am not completely hating on the fact that it's a quad. But I really change my whole style somewhat when I ride it. In order to get a really big radius on a snap or tail slide, I have to stay more upright over it and keep my center of gravity. I feel like the lack of a pivot fin doesn't allow me to let the board slide out some and take better angles. With that being said, I know a lot of that has to do with the rails and tail on the board, since its a fish.... I can just feel that the board WILL do it... that quad just seems to prevent me from just tossing it out in front of me on a layback snap. It just doesn't recover. When you do an erratic turn on it like that, its over basically.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Haha. Not too much. I have dropped a few different fins into the front's and back's respectively. Tried the figure eight red FG3 foils in the back. A bit too big. Tried standard FCS FG5's up front. Really no difference there.

    But the go-to fins that I use are the one my shaper put with the board to begin with. They are FCS M4 Quattros with an M5 template in the larger two and the M2 template in the smaller two. I messed around with it at one point and put the M2's up front and the M5s in the back, but I could feel that it did nothing positive, so I switched it back to the intended M4 setup, which is the M5's up front and the M2's in the back.



    MORE:
    Description Item # SPM8092218802 Model # 300096448
    No M5 Sides M2 SidesThe FCS M4 quad design concept was pioneered by surfer shaper and inventor Bruce McKee The MSeries has a flexible tip for forgiveness and control at high speed The rear fin is designed to compliment the M5 template in the front and works best in conjunction with McKees fin placement guide The M2 Rear fin is designed for the lighter surfer and featuring inside foil technology and a consistently smooth flex pattern This smaller and round fin is extremely fast and lively and sits between the G1000 and G3000 in area Can be used across a variety of different conditions The Inside Foil technology offers superior drive and hold Glass flex offers a flex pattern modeled off a handfoiled fiberglass fin and the ability to hold highly technical computer generated foils accurately The M4 quad set can be used on a variety of board templates and offers drive and control



    Any advice would be appreciated. Again, I think I am splitting hairs a little with this whole thing, because I have this board dialed in. I was overall a little unhappy with it's responsiveness in the barrel, but again, I never thought I would be using this board for barrel riding when I got it shaped. On the west coast, this is what I would use in chest high, mushy reefs and points and it was a monster.... So, I am not completely hating on the fact that it's a quad. But I really change my whole style somewhat when I ride it. In order to get a really big radius on a snap or tail slide, I have to stay more upright over it and keep my center of gravity. I feel like the lack of a pivot fin doesn't allow me to let the board slide out some and take better angles. With that being said, I know a lot of that has to do with the rails and tail on the board, since its a fish.... I can just feel that the board WILL do it... that quad just seems to prevent me from just tossing it out in front of me on a layback snap. It just doesn't recover. When you do an erratic turn on it like that, its over basically.
    Try really big rear fins. Bigger then standard quad rears. Since FCS fin bases are inline with the fin you can play around more and get 2 center fins with maybe a 4 1/4 or 4 3/8 base. Or maybe just go for fronts and rears with a ton of sweep.