LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    The waves that we live by and the waves that we surf dictate what boards we ride. Not the other way around. So no matter where you live, North Shore Oahu or North Carolina, a longboard is ALWAYS in that equation. If you don't have an LB, and you plan to surf on a regular basis, especially on the east coast, You are doing it wrong.

And I would say that to every longboarder I know too. Okay, maybe you are old, maybe you dont surf when its over chest high.... But if a longboarder does not own any kind of fish/shortboard/under 7' anything, then they are doing it wrong too. No matter where you live, yeah maybe you can "try" to surf a longboard in 3ft overhead, dumping, draining beach break, but that my friends is a stupid thing to do.

So in retrospect, you were doing it wrong most of your life? It took me a while to figure this little nugget out myself, only owned HPSB at first, which hindered my growth as a surfer. Fast forward 14-15 years, finally got an 8'1" (mini LB) and my surfing took off, now I ride my 6'4" with so much more skill it's not even funny. No i'm no NJShreadmachine, I mean who is right? But I surprise the hell out of myself from time to time and look back at how foolish I was, but i'm thankful I finally got it. Better late than never.

I should have my first regulation size 9' LB next weekend, in the glassing stage as we speak, can't wait, it's going to come in handy on these knee high days, but I intend on riding that bad boy in overhead surf too, just the right kind of conditions, not dumpy, grinding, drainers, more like rampy long period stuff.

Yup, I remember seeing Jon Ashton's name pop up a few times whilst searching around. Will def check him out.
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by wilmshark View Post
    Yup, I remember seeing Jon Ashton's name pop up a few times whilst searching around. Will def check him out.
    thanks guys
    Not to take anything away from Jon Ashton, he makes great boards, but why not check out some guys in town if you're looking for a custom longboard shape. Greg Eavey's stuff always looks awesome, as does Will Allison's if you're into seahorse logos.

Also don't listen to the idiots who say LBs are only for small stuff. Iv said this a bunch here. Longboards are a blast in big stuff. I don't get why guys are so against a LB, as if others are going to think they don't know how to surf. That would be the end of the world for allot of these guys. Surfing is essentially about style, who cares what you ride as long as you ride it with style and grace and flow. It's so ridiculous the way some guys think. Not everyone trys or wants to surf like Kelly Slater. Some people need to get over themselves and realize just because they flail on a 5'10 dosn't make them a good surfer

Quote Originally Posted by BassMon View Post
    Also don't listen to the idiots who say LBs are only for small stuff. Iv said this a bunch here. Longboards are a blast in big stuff. I don't get why guys are so against a LB, as if others are going to think they don't know how to surf. That would be the end of the world for allot of these guys. Surfing is essentially about style, who cares what you ride as long as you ride it with style and grace and flow. It's so ridiculous the way some guys think. Not everyone trys or wants to surf like Kelly Slater. Some people need to get over themselves and realize just because they flail on a 5'10 dosn't make them a good surfer
    I'm with you BassMon. I like my longboard in just about all conditions. Not gonna charge 23' Belmar, but I'd give it some thought.

Just because we all surf doesn't mean we do it for the same reasons or to accomplish the same things. I really enjoy the glide of my longboard over the wilder ride of a shortboard. That's just me.

As long as you are diggin' what you are riding, you are set. Doesn't matter how you get there; share the common bond that surfing brings all of us.

Slide on.
    Last edited by World B Frielinghaus; Jul 23, 2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Forgot #Belmar!

Images
    I'm likin this beauty:

There's definitely a place for a longboard in your quiver. That said, if it wasn't for noseriding, I wouldn't own one. So I get where you're coming from.

If you're an mid Atlantic surfer, you should be sure to talk to a reputable local shaper who's proven himself with logs that noseride well. Not everybody builds a decent noserider, and not every noserider will work in every wave.

Images
    Jon Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Separate but equal.

Longboards are here to stay. I feel bad for you that the stigma of riding a longboard has prevented you from appreciating and enjoying what they have to offer. Your loss BTP. I hope Levy drops in on you one day.
    hoooeee someone took it personal. struggling with the sport, are we?
    i hope levy drops in on you too even though i don't know who he is.