LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    F**kin' Bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    Don't blame me, I voted for Obama-Texaco, not BP Global Romney

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurfer View Post
    Argument is invalid. When you refer to us as the "they" the only type of impact we can have is by trying to press our views and opinions to those who can make decision in legislation that will take affect. More specifically while I rely on the systems we use in our world that doesn't mean that I have to agree with them. I am a slave to them. By economic standards I'm poor as dirt, and that's how gas companies and non-renewable fuel companies want it. I could go all conspiracy theorist right now but not the time nor place. If I had the coin you better believe I'd be driving a tesla model s as a daily driving with a diesel e-350 converted to run on veggie oil for my surf trips. I applaud a lot of the auto companies for their r&d into new types of tech. Nothing is going to change overnight, with all the vehicles on the road today there is going to be a need for fossil fuels for a long time. But using methods to get that fossil fuel that WILL UNDOUBTEDLY fck the world up even more isn't the way to do it.

My vision for the future is highly electrical based. I'm sure most of you guys have seen those phone charging mats that will charge your phone when you set it down on it. Now imagine that same wireless charging/electrical technology one MUCH larger scale. Incorporate that charging ability with the below proposed solar road panels and BAM you have electric cars with batteries that charge wireless from the road surface beneath. If more government funding and focus was put into this type of r&d instead of searching for oil our country as a whole and the world could work towards sustainability. That's my 2 cents in a nutshell.

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

Solar roadways are a cool idea, but they are selling something they can't currently produce.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...l-highway2.htm

We have a long way to go before we will be free of oil dependence. In the automotive industry, we are taking baby steps by improving combustion technology. However, the world needs a huge leap, and none of the current ideas on the table seem that promising.

Images
    http://act.oceana.org/sign/stop_seis...urce=wavemaker

Let your voice be heard - FILL THIS OUT and SEND it ! We OPPOSE offshore oil exploration on the East Coast of the United States!! Esp in the Mid-Atlantic region! !

Images
    I know a guy that's high up in the electricity game. He was talking about an idea they had where the big electric company would come and install solar panels on your roof for free and let you keep the savings. The only catch was that you had to more or less give them an easement to your roof. It wouldn't work in all areas but if they could cover large areas the savings could be significant. Another downfall is with the present technology the panels need complete sunlight over the whole panel. If there are consistent shadows or the panels aren't clean they lose efficiency and break down faster so you might have to cut some trees.

If you look at it with the same mindset as the pro-vaccine (not brain dead) folks it is a way that everyone can work together to improve the situation. With that being said, it's hard to break free once you're in that deep.

Quote Originally Posted by surfin paulie View Post
    There's an old saying in the engineering community.

Anything is possible for someone who doesn't have to do the work.

You won't find anyone on earth who likes and appreciates the oceans and environment more than me. Having said that, we need to face certain realities. Fossil fuels are, actually, quite natural. They also contain more energy, lb for lb, than almost anything we've got available. Sure they could be cleaner. Focus on that, from the drilling to the exhaust pipe. Clean clean clean. When someone does get the charger mat road built, that will be awesome. For now though, we have to use what we have. Don't tell the engineer he has to take these 2 sticks and rub em together and power a city. I know that's a bit of hyperbole, but not much. Let's be calm, and vigilant. We can do this right if we want to.
    Yes, exactly. I have been in the automotive industry directly, and indirectly, for 9 years now. I have worked in engine development, petroleum chemical development, and injection system development. People don't understand how difficult taking the next step really is. Many will claim X car from 30 years ago had more fuel economy that the cars of today. What they don't seem to get, is that that old car had 50% less safety equipment and 100% less emissions equipment. I am also a nature lover, and consider myself an environmentalist. I just know that we have a long way to go before oil isn't a common energy source for vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by surfin paulie View Post
    Well... if I haven't been excommunicated yet, may as well really let it hit the fan and get it over with. There is one energy source several orders of magnitude more "energy dense" or more energy lb for lb...

Nukes

Personally, we probably oughta be doing lots more of that, and saving the oil for smaller stuff like cars.

Ok. I reckon that oughta start some sh**.

But I say these things in all seriousness, with as deep a love for our oceans as one could have.

I know that we Americans can do these things better, and right.

I just do.
    Again, we agree here. Nuclear energy is the most efficient and clean source for this country. It just seems to have too many safety issues. New reactors are much safer that the old ones, but the worst case scenario always ends up in mass radiation contamination. We are also still only working with fission, which isn't the best. Now fusion energy is something to push for. They have had some successful reactor experiments with fusion, and there could be a breakthrough with that in the next decade. Then we could save the oil for cars and trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    I know a guy that's high up in the electricity game. He was talking about an idea they had where the big electric company would come and install solar panels on your roof for free and let you keep the savings. The only catch was that you had to more or less give them an easement to your roof. It wouldn't work in all areas but if they could cover large areas the savings could be significant. Another downfall is with the present technology the panels need complete sunlight over the whole panel. If there are consistent shadows or the panels aren't clean they lose efficiency and break down faster so you might have to cut some trees.

If you look at it with the same mindset as the pro-vaccine (not brain dead) folks it is a way that everyone can work together to improve the situation. With that being said, it's hard to break free once you're in that deep.
    I would love that idea. I am hoping solar panel technology keeps improving and getting cheaper. That is something I would consider investing in for my house. I just don't think it is there yet. Soon...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post

Let your voice be heard - FILL THIS OUT and SEND it ! We OPPOSE offshore oil exploration on the East Coast of the United States!! Esp in the Mid-Atlantic region! !
    Thanks for the link. Good stuff ladies and fellers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Solar roadways are a cool idea, but they are selling something they can't currently produce.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...l-highway2.htm

We have a long way to go before we will be free of oil dependence. In the automotive industry, we are taking baby steps by improving combustion technology. However, the world needs a huge leap, and none of the current ideas on the table seem that promising.
    It all comes back to the money. Over time the prices of tech drops. Solar panels were insanely expensive when they first came out and now consumers can install them on their own homes and cut costs. The technology for them has improved too, just like all other products. Same idea can be related to TVs, when the flat screens came out no one could afford them unless you we're very wealthy, now everyone has an LCD in their home for the most part. Nothing is going to happen overnight. But looking back over a hundred years, humans as a civilization have come leaps and bounds. Wright brothers had their first flight in what 1903? We're in space now! I'm optimistic with these things and technological advancements. I think the solar panel roads are an awesome idea but no where near feasible or practical right now, especially at seven grand per panel. But if you project say another 100 years into the future, there could be a good possibility for something like that being a reality and little to no dependence on oil. It will happen gradually overtime. And with the amount of gasoline cars on the roads now, the dependence on oil isn't going to change anytime soon. Like brew said, cars today have A LOT of safety gear packed in there. Any car you drive today is much safer by comparing to cars of 30-40 years ago, but if you stripped all that weight away your fuel economy would go straight up. That's just basic physics right there, takes more energy to move more mass. But going back to seldoms initial post, potentially fcking up all the ecosystems in the atlantic is not good idea to get to that oil, at least in my opinion, as I'm sure most of you would agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post

Just submitted my info, thanks for the link!
    Last edited by ZombieSurfer; Jul 24, 2014 at 03:08 PM.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Obama-Texaco, not BP Global Romney"

The best reply ever. Both parties are for sale

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurfer View Post
    Argument is invalid. When you refer to us as the "they" the only type of impact we can have is by trying to press our views and opinions to those who can make decision in legislation that will take affect. More specifically while I rely on the systems we use in our world that doesn't mean that I have to agree with them. I am a slave to them. By economic standards I'm poor as dirt, and that's how gas companies and non-renewable fuel companies want it. I could go all conspiracy theorist right now but not the time nor place. If I had the coin you better believe I'd be driving a tesla model s as a daily driving with a diesel e-350 converted to run on veggie oil for my surf trips. I applaud a lot of the auto companies for their r&d into new types of tech. Nothing is going to change overnight, with all the vehicles on the road today there is going to be a need for fossil fuels for a long time. But using methods to get that fossil fuel that WILL UNDOUBTEDLY fck the world up even more isn't the way to do it.
    What a cop-out! You're too poor to be environmentally friendly? Being truly poor IS environmentally friendly. If you couldn't afford your car, you'd be forced to take public transit or bike to work. If you couldn't afford to eat meat, the products you consume would require hundreds fewer barrels of oil to produce. If you couldn't afford a computer or internet connection, all that electricity you use wouldn't need to be generated from a coal-fired powerplant. If you couldn't afford to take a surf trip, you wouldn't burn all that gas (or jet fuel, if you're richer). If you couldn't afford a bigger apartment--or if you couldn't afford to climate-control it, you'd be using less fossil fuels. If you couldn't afford a new board or wetsuit, all those petrolium products would sit idle in warehouses and those oil rigs out there wouldn't be wothwhile for BP to build.

You could voluntarily do all these things. Eat veg. Sell your car. Forego that surf trip. Don't buy that new board/wetsuit. You're not a slave to anything but your own desires, and those corporate "masters" you talk about, are just profiteering off of your self-indulgence.

I'm not telling you to do all this, I'm telling you that the environmental destruction is yours and you need to own up to it. I drive to work. I run a computer. I eat meat a few times a week. So I can't shake my fist at those oil platforms or curse BP when I step on a tar ball, either.

I agree that we should petition our representatives for better energy sources, but like the Engineers will tell you; it doesn't come free, and it doesn't happen overnight. If you want all-electric, all-solar, you're going to have to face power bills that are 10X higher. You're going to have to live with a lightweight vehicle with poor range and cargo capacity, and convince all your friends of the same.

Nuclear energy is the most efficient and clean source for this country. It just seems to have too many safety issues.
    A while ago, a floating nuclear reactor was proposed. Predictably, enviro-nuts went crazy, complaining about danger to the environment from such a risky idea.

Thing is... there are already hundreds of floating nuclear reactors operating on and under every ocean in the world, and they have been for 50+ years without a major incident, courtesy of the US Navy.