LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

Thumbs up looking for a surfer friend

I've been surfing by myself since I was 14. I'm now 31 and have yet to make friends with any surfers, partly because I surf in Margate, NJ not known for the best conditions. I'm out most weekend mornings around 7:00AM and try to catch a few rides before the wind picks up. It's lonely out there so I'd enjoy some company, especially since I'm a bit of a talker. This approach may be a lame attempt but I figure I would ask around, see if anyone wants to share some rides. My only surfing network connection is my father's, cousin's husband who lives near San Clemente, CA. My best surf sessions ever have been hearing his stories of Malibu and San Onofre back in the early 60's. Once a year we get together, but other than that, it's me and the empty ocean.
    Couple details:
    Intermediate level
    Ride a 9'4" or a 6'2" depending on conditions
    Usually paddle out at Rumson or Thurlow ave.
    Not soliciting for anything other than a good dude to share some surf stories while waiting for a wave.

do u do drugs?do u bang hindus?do u knock out 65yr old dog owners?these are the real questions people want answered.margate is too far for me,try migrating to ocean city

it puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again.

027.jpg

I only go out when it looks like dis.notice how im all alone.nothing wrong with dat,im a kook so I try to keep my kookieness to myself

I'm down, just don't ask me to get in your van.

margate is the beesknees. And it has a ton of great breaks nearby to choose form. I roll with a pretty serious pack in ACNJ. Margate has pretty serious $$

Images
    This is quite the introduction. To the OP, not sure how you have been surfing for 16 years in New Jersey and don't know anyone to surf with, but good luck to you. This post will most likely go viral soon.

Careful what you wish for John Ravert. You might get more than you bargained for. Be thankful you have lonely empty peaks. It's what I pray for every time I head out, some days it works out that way, some days it's like a bus load of kids get dropped off for a field trip.

Images
    Hmm, surfing all that time and no close friends that surf? I moved to Maryland 13 years ago and know virtually everyone at my local breaks, in the shops etc and have made some really good friends out of the crowd. I'm a jabberer as well but more of a self conscious one. When I get the vibe that I'm getting annoying I "try" to dial it back a bit. Maybe you need to dial it back a bit. Also showing up at the same spots every swell for years people can't help but acknowledge you, even the most stubborn people, but working yourself into the crowd can take years. Feel for ya but it's not uncommon for better surfers to fail to acknowledge people with less skill. Not saying better surfers won't say hello or be friendly, just won't reach out and invite you in as readily as surfers lower down the pecking order. You could paddle out on any particular day at my home beach and find 10 people that would be thrilled to have a buddy, surprised it's not like that in Margate.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ravert View Post
    I've been surfing by myself since I was 14. I'm now 31 and have yet to make friends with any surfers. It's lonely out there so I'd enjoy some company, especially since I'm a bit of a talker. it's me and the empty ocean.
    You should keep it that way, spark plug.