LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    is Gruvi back?

Images
    Have you ever surfed Belmar, NJ... Lots of ppl to be friends with there...

My Buddy is a real pal. Never drops in on me and he's always watching my back. Most of the time he just kind of sits there on the beach, but I like it that way. You'll find one soon. Good luck.

Ryan

Not sure what you're complaining about. The ocean and just you on a good day? Sounds like a perfect scenario. But in regard to your request. How is it that you don't know anyone in the lineup in Margate? If you're looking to meet people and not having luck there, head over to the Ventnor Pier. Lot's of folks and most of them friendly. Or, hit up States/NJ Ave in AC. The AC Surf School is there and there's a bunch of friendly instructors and locals always hanging around. But again, I question why you haven't met anyone as of yet if you're out a lot and have been surfing for 17 years.

I salute you Ryan7. That is too much dude! So funny. Thanks.

I think I know that dude

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan7 View Post

My Buddy is a real pal. Never drops in on me and he's always watching my back. Most of the time he just kind of sits there on the beach, but I like it that way. You'll find one soon. Good luck.

Ryan

Images
    You gotta reach out. Some people are agro-leave me alone. Some will wave. Some will chat and go have a burger afterwards. I agree with everyone else that you probably need to hit up somebody close to your skill level.
    or teach one of your non-surfing friends how.

Images
    You should keep it that way, spark plug.
    This is actually good advise. I have some less welcoming friends that say they might have to stop surfing with me because I am a magnet for every person out there. It doesn't matter how off putting I think I'm being in the water everyone thinks I'm their best bud, lol. It would be nice to be just me and the empty ocean sometimes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ravert View Post
    I've been surfing by myself since I was 14. I'm now 31 and have yet to make friends with any surfers, partly because I surf in Margate, NJ not known for the best conditions. I'm out most weekend mornings around 7:00AM and try to catch a few rides before the wind picks up. It's lonely out there so I'd enjoy some company, especially since I'm a bit of a talker. This approach may be a lame attempt but I figure I would ask around, see if anyone wants to share some rides. My only surfing network connection is my father's, cousin's husband who lives near San Clemente, CA. My best surf sessions ever have been hearing his stories of Malibu and San Onofre back in the early 60's. Once a year we get together, but other than that, it's me and the empty ocean.
    Couple details:
    Intermediate level
    Ride a 9'4" or a 6'2" depending on conditions
    Usually paddle out at Rumson or Thurlow ave.
    Not soliciting for anything other than a good dude to share some surf stories while waiting for a wave.
    Hey brotot,
    I've learned throughout my 3 or so years that I have been surfing is that you need to talk to people in the lineup. I started talking to this kid at a local ESA contest last weekend and you never woulda known that he has such cool stories to share and would like to know some about you too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by natkitchen View Post
    You gotta reach out. Some people are agro-leave me alone. Some will wave. Some will chat and go have a burger afterwards. I agree with everyone else that you probably need to hit up somebody close to your skill level.
    or teach one of your non-surfing friends how.
    Oh, well, basically what he said.