LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

All of our waves are under the surface, I guess.

This year has been the flattest in my memory. And yet 375 people have had to be rescued from the rip in VB since Mem Day.

http://wavy.com/2014/07/23/water-res...each-warnings/

there have been a few days that I missed surf on but I've only surfed 3 times in the last 2 months. I don't count last sunday because it was an absolute wind blown mess and I just wanted to get into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    This year has been the flattest in my memory. And yet 375 people have had to be rescued from the rip in VB since Mem Day.

http://wavy.com/2014/07/23/water-res...each-warnings/
    as an ex-lg i can tell you that under those undercurrents are social undercurrents.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    as an ex-lg i can tell you that under those undercurrents are social undercurrents.
    Nailed it. I kept one afloat until the guards got out there 4th of July weekend. Hid dreads must of held 2 gallons of water. Even the kids in the family had B. Marley worthy dreads. They guy outweighed me by 30+ lbs. and tried a rear naked choke bear hug and scratched my chest all up. Then I had to push him off me to regrab him from another direction.

Not one thank you or head nod was given. They may not have noticed who it was due to the confusion but still...

Lifeguards got no thanks either.

VB has many visitors, and the small surf which we have been experiencing for a good portion of the summer may appear very safe to those unfamiliar with the ocean. But we have had some choppy days, including several with red or yellow flags posted.
    As an aside, I've noticed a lot more SUPs in the water and on vehicles this summer.

I'm not expecting a beach like VB to reasonably be closed much or ever, but does anyone within the influence of authority think those numbers are excessive? Almost 100 in a matter of a couple days?! I mean is every third person who steps into liquid needing a rescue?? If it's that hazardous (as denoted by folks inability in the water) then shouldn't it be looked at as something that's a danger to the general public? Yes, I'm opening a can of worms here and a problem not easily solved, but how about a swim/water treading test to get the right to go in the water? It would take manpower but triple digit rescues is a far bigger misallocation of manpower. I'm not saying let them drown, I'm saying keep these life kooks out of the damn water. Sounds no better than a lemonade stand giving out bags of smack in the hood.

Andddd here comes SJB out of the woodwork now that his favorite topic has hit the air again.

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    Nailed it. I kept one afloat until the guards got out there 4th of July weekend. Hid dreads must of held 2 gallons of water. Even the kids in the family had B. Marley worthy dreads. They guy outweighed me by 30+ lbs. and tried a rear naked choke bear hug and scratched my chest all up. Then I had to push him off me to regrab him from another direction.

Not one thank you or head nod was given. They may not have noticed who it was due to the confusion but still...

hey congrats on your humanitarianism; even the thankless kind. and yes thats EXACTLY what i'm talking about.

Probably has something to do with the obnoxious shore break (after they did the most recent round of beach replenishment on the north end). It gets a little squirrely trying to get back to shore when it goes from 6 ft to 1 ft deep in a matter of a few steps.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrizzard View Post
    Probably has something to do with the obnoxious shore break (after they did the most recent round of beach replenishment on the north end). It gets a little squirrely trying to get back to shore when it goes from 6 ft to 1 ft deep in a matter of a few steps.
    ^^This and when the red flags are flying they let people in up to their knees which happens to be about 3-4 ft. from where the shorebreak is dumping. Tourons get smashed then ragdolled into the trough right off the beach. They can't stand and said shorebreak is sucking back out to sea and panic ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post

Next time approach him from behind, knock him out, and drag him in by his nappy dreads. And demand a Marley sized blunt from his fambily as payment for his soggy ass.