LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitesurfing!!

Cool Kitesurfing!!

Who's into it? Anyone else?

Just getting started. Been surfing for 20 yrs....figured now's the time to step up my game and diversify!!

#notcheapthough

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backside hack View Post
    Who's into it? Anyone else?

Just getting started. Been surfing for 20 yrs....figured now's the time to step up my game and diversify!!

#notcheapthough
    Looks super fun. Keep us posted. My next door neighbor is a Kite Board instructor and a boat captain. He is always asking me to go with him, but I don't have the time. It's not like grabbing a surf board and hitting the waves for an hour. Seems like a lot of work, and I would assume I would need quite the tutorial prior to taking off.

Yeah it's a bit labor intensive to set up for sure.

Kite flying skills is 90% of the game. Surfing skill is just a bonus for me. There's a bit of a learning curve but worth it especially when you see guys tearing up wave after wave, while we're (surfers) are scrapping and scratching away.

Images
    Yeah it's a bit labor intensive to set up for sure.

Kite flying skills is 90% of the game. Surfing skill is just a bonus for me. There's a bit of a learning curve but worth it especially when you see guys tearing up wave after wave, while we're (surfers) are scrapping and scratching away.
    Yeah, it seems that the guys around here do it different. They go out a mile or so, and basically gain a bunch of speed and then go and lift up and do big airs and come back down into the flats. That seems, relatively easy, but not of course.

On the west coast, some kiteboarders kill it, but they encorporate the actual waves into it, which can be dangerous for surfers, but most guys that do it were pretty close to pro, but they would go way out to sea, come back in and basically do a huge side turn right on the beach and then aim back at the set waves, they would sometimes turn and ride the wave, but otherwise just use the incoming sets as HUGE launch pads. But the technical side of watching them do that seemed pretty difficult.

I would just not be very pleased, falling from the sky a mile out at sea, having a yard sale in the open ocean, then trying to get my sh** back in order and catch some wind and get going again. I could see some panic in that.

I guess there are probably baby steps though, like NOT going that far out. I think I just need to go down there for a session and suss it out before trying it. I am sure if I watched it a little more I would get a better understanding for it.

But hearing the guys that ride talk about it, they just love it. They all say that they pretty much gave up regular surfing around here for it, because you can just clock SO MUCH MORE time having fun on a kite.

Been kiteboarding for about six months now. Mostly wakestyle, just starting to do handle passes. Great sport but not cheap. What kite are you on?

Images
    Who's into it? Anyone else? Figured now's the time to step up my game and diversify!!
    ( oo )
    ( ( )
    (____)

ok...have fun now! See you out there sprayin your fellow surfers in the lineup!

Images
    ^^c'mon, thats kinda funny right? guys?

Quote Originally Posted by HighOnLife View Post
    ^^c'mon, thats kinda funny right? guys?
    No. It's NOT "kinda funny"...it's Hilarious. I remember the first time I saw this I watched it 100 times and laughed myself useless. Sincerely hope the guy was ok...but man, trebuchet all day.

Quote Originally Posted by HighOnLife View Post
    ( oo )
    ( ( )
    (____)

ok...have fun now! See you out there sprayin your fellow surfers in the lineup!
    I know of this giff. Not funny. The guy actually died.

Images
    I know a bunch of guys that do it in Maryland. Looks fun but even when they catch a wave I wouldn't call it surfing, the wave always takes a back seat to the kite. I've been encouraged to try it but have heard tons of horror stories, too many for accident prone me to consider fun.