LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kitesurfing!!

Quote Originally Posted by HighOnLife View Post
    They're always out at matunuck in RI. So annoying, they come so close to you and you think you're gonna get hit and you never know where they're going.
    I have had this problem recently. Dude had the entire beach, but he insisted on following me and constantly passing by right next to me. Really annoying when a set was coming in and I couldn't take it. I knew that he would snake right by and possibly hit me. I have no problem with the sport, but I prefer they stay away from me in the water. It isn't like you need a clean break with that kite pulling you around.

I windsurf. Most kiters are cool, although few follow basic safety rules like "starboard sailor/rider has the right of way". Nothing worst than heading up wind on starboard tack and some kiter thinks your in his way. I,ve seen kiters get way too close to kids and people who have no clue of the dangers involed.
    Some popular kiting areas have established local rules for that area and self police that area to keep axcess open and safe for all enjoying the water. Agressive, mocho A holes can ruin any sport. Keep it cool, layed back and safe so everyone has a great day.

I've been windsurfing for 20 years, kited for one year and started surfing five years ago.

If you have wind knowledge, from sailing or windsurfing, kiting is super easy. Yes, once you pass the intermediate stage there's all these jumps, grabs and handle passes you can do, but most kiters are beginning intermediates that don't respect other peoples space on the water and behave in a dangerous manner.

My go to-surf spot gets invaded by rude kiters whenever there is a slight breeze and these guys are a danger to themselves and others, choosing to show of their jumps a few yards from shore or surfers, catching up to and dropping in on waves, and generally being a nuisance.

I find most kiters to be middle aged, mid-life crises types or young wannabe surfers with rich daddies.

Windsurfing is much harder to learn, therefore more fulfilling and you can actually surf a wave rather than power through.

Surfing is the hardest to learn and requires patience and being in shape, which makes it the most fulfilling.

Kiting, SUPing and Windsurfing are cheating. You do not have to paddle hard to get out and you can be in the wrong spot on the wave and use your extra power (wind or paddle) to get through it. You can do these awesome spraying top turns, but really, you didn't have to position yourself much or use the wave's energy to do it.

I can go out in bigger surf on the windsurfer than on my surfboard, but whenever I do, I'm thinking that if I cannot paddle out by my own power, I shouldn't be doing it because if (when) you fall, it could get dangerous.

Give a fat, middle-aged guy a kite and six months of practice and he will be out there jumping and getting in spots he's not equipped to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post

Give a fat, middle-aged guy a (insert almost any object, toy, noun, etc here) and six months of practice and he will be out there jumping and getting in spots he's not equipped to handle.
    fify

not sure if it is true but in florida did not a man get killed by sharks - kiting - as the wind was fading
    and he was being followed...slower, slower, slower.....OH NO! need wind now! chomp/bye. heard he
    died in arms of a lifeguard.

Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
    I've been windsurfing for 20 years, kited for one year and started surfing five years ago.

If you have wind knowledge, from sailing or windsurfing, kiting is super easy. Yes, once you pass the intermediate stage there's all these jumps, grabs and handle passes you can do, but most kiters are beginning intermediates that don't respect other peoples space on the water and behave in a dangerous manner.

My go to-surf spot gets invaded by rude kiters whenever there is a slight breeze and these guys are a danger to themselves and others, choosing to show of their jumps a few yards from shore or surfers, catching up to and dropping in on waves, and generally being a nuisance.

I find most kiters to be middle aged, mid-life crises types or young wannabe surfers with rich daddies.

Windsurfing is much harder to learn, therefore more fulfilling and you can actually surf a wave rather than power through.

Surfing is the hardest to learn and requires patience and being in shape, which makes it the most fulfilling.

Kiting, SUPing and Windsurfing are cheating. You do not have to paddle hard to get out and you can be in the wrong spot on the wave and use your extra power (wind or paddle) to get through it. You can do these awesome spraying top turns, but really, you didn't have to position yourself much or use the wave's energy to do it.

I can go out in bigger surf on the windsurfer than on my surfboard, but whenever I do, I'm thinking that if I cannot paddle out by my own power, I shouldn't be doing it because if (when) you fall, it could get dangerous.

Give a fat, middle-aged guy a kite and six months of practice and he will be out there jumping and getting in spots he's not equipped to handle.
    I just turned 36 in July and told my wife this is my "mid life crisis." hahaha good call on that! cheaper than buying a Porsche!! I guess my saving grace is that i'm not fat and i'm a surfer. This is just a supplement to my surfer life!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    not sure if it is true but in florida did not a man get killed by sharks - kiting - as the wind was fading
    and he was being followed...slower, slower, slower.....OH NO! need wind now! chomp/bye. heard he
    died in arms of a lifeguard.
    Yeah, I posted the link on the first page. He did die in route to the hospital and he was attacked by MANY sharks. Dude basically air dropped into a feeding frenzy by accident. It was right on shore though, so it could have happened to anyone.