LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kitesurfing!!

been surfing for 25 years , kitesurfing for 15 and teaching kiteboarding for 12 years . you dont have to duck dive paddle out , catch about a 100 waves on a down winder , take the tops off waves with mean topside carves , beat close out sections . kitesurfing complements surfing so well , when its on shore and swells building you kitesurf , but when it turns off shore , put the kite down and surf ...
    Last edited by surfin; Jul 29, 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Holy crap! That last guy was out in like 80mph winds. Look at the palm tree.

I appears that these videos are few years old. Apparently the safety of the sport/gear has increased every year..esp since it's such a new sport.
    Last edited by backside hack; Jul 29, 2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backside hack View Post

I appears that these videos are few years old. Apparently the safety of the sport/gear has increased every year..esp since it's such a new sport.
    Yeah, no doubt.

Google the story of the guy in Florida a few years ago. That was the most brutal kite surfing incident I have read. Homeboy took a spill only 400 yards off shore, and was eating by a pack of sharks. They suspect that it was juvenile whites.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationw...3_shark05.html

Yeah, no doubt.

Google the story of the guy in Florida a few years ago. That was the most brutal kite surfing incident I have read. Homeboy took a spill only 400 yards off shore, and was eating by a pack of sharks. They suspect that it was juvenile whites.

Very sad indeed, what a horrible way to go, but this line speaks volumes in the grand scheme of things.

"He is the first person to die of a shark attack in Florida waters in five years and only the 14th since 1896. Beaches remained open Thursday."

How many people died in a car accident just yesterday alone? Like 113 or so? It's about 40k per year last I checked...

Yeah, no doubt.

Dude you're morbid! Are you trying to tweak me out here??

Quote Originally Posted by ecoastprock View Post
    Most people will never get into kiting for a few reasons, its dangerous, its expensive and its hard to learn. That is what makes it different than surfing and keeps the people who aren't totally into it out (kooks).

For these reasons it will never be as popular or as mainstream as surfing. Kiting takes at very least 2-3 professional lessons + 2 weeks of practice before you are able to safely(relative) kite without supervision.

I've been kiting for about 2 1/2 years and love it. That being said I have been put into some really dangerous positions and situations. When stuff goes bad kiting, it goes really bad and you are on your own and responsible for getting yourself out of the situation.

The best things about kiting are the consistency, freedom and exploration. The past 5 days we have had SW wind 15-25 every day, in those past 5 days its been knee high or less. Hurricane swells cause a new reason for excitement, that day before the cleanup day is going to be all time kiting conditions. Your water time will triple, everyday if you add SUPing, you will be fit and ready to surf when we do get real waves. You will explore and travel all over your island/spot and surf new sandbars and inlets that you never would have looked at if you just surfed.

A few weeks ago me and a few friends did a 22 mile downwinder from folly beach to sullivans island. We crossed inlets and harbors that would be inaccessible and dangerous with even a boat. This is the reason I kite and will continue to kite. The risk for the reward is great but its worth it when it all works out and no one gets hurt.

check it out
    http://youtu.be/2YngZbU7GDs?list=UUD...odMBdkeuW3qUBg

i creeped your youtube acct

you guys do some cool stuff

Images
    Dude you're morbid! Are you trying to tweak me out here??
    Haha, good point. I will look around for some sick Kite Surfing videos and post that stuff. Like I said originally, my next door neighbor basically runs sh** with regards to Kite surfing around here and he is hooked on it for life. He basically traded in surfing for it. He was out kiting during Arthur and Sandy. I am not sure what level of a "surfer" he ever was, but when someone tells you that Kite Surfing is the tits, and goes so far as to say he doesn't surf anymore because of it, that is a bold statement.

Have fun. If I had the time, I would get into it for sure. Right now its hard enough to get out a couple days a week in the surf.

And with regards to the Florida thing, that was a freak accident. He was REAL close to shore, so that same situation would have happened to a diver, snorkeler, surfer or whoever happened to be in the water at the time...

But talk about sh**y timing. damn. Dude was like a pro too.

I couldnt watch more than 30 seconds of this.. brought back bad memories. I snapped the head off my radius in multiple pieces last november landboarding from a strong gust. Steel plate, 6screws, and lots of therapy later, I sold all my gear and splurged on a new 5'9 egg.. Safety is HUGE when you're kiting, or feel the wrath of nature in a split second. But it was a very addicting sport and super fun, (and expensive) and if you live near the coast, there's wind almost every day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    i creeped your youtube acct

you guys do some cool stuff
    Yeah, that was a sick video. I am loving the integration of the surfboards to the equation. Hittin a few lips on your way over the water... Really nice video for sure. They made that look "Super Easy", so you know they are legit with it.