LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I've been chasing bay waves around here for a few years. It takes a lot of swell for anything notable to make it into the bay. If it does get that big I'm usually watching the winds waiting for the real surf session. So, yes, people get good bay waves, but probably on the same days of great ocean waves.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I've been chasing bay waves around here for a few years. It takes a lot of swell for anything notable to make it into the bay. If it does get that big I'm usually watching the winds waiting for the real surf session. So, yes, people get good bay waves, but probably on the same days of great ocean waves.
    Exactly. That is why I don't really consider these spots "secret". I mean, maybe its fun if you live right there, but if you are getting a "bay wave" its ALWAYS much better on the ocean side. Its just novelty. A rather interesting novelty, but just that.

Images
    New movie...." Chasing Chesa-peakes "....haha epic

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    if you are getting a "bay wave" its ALWAYS much better on the ocean side. Its just novelty. A rather interesting novelty, but just that.
    I disagree about the ALWAYS part. There are bay setups where the wind can be offshore in the middle of a storm swell, and a lot lighter than the ocean coast. I'd rather surf a waist high bay wave with offshore at 15 than attempt victory at sea conditions on the ocean at the same time with 20-30 knot sideshores.

I live in a bay and concur with mitch. Yet to be highly organized here in my bay enough to get a viable sesh but the day will come. I've got some takeoffs in past storms, no real session yet. Can't beat walking 50ft out your door, stepping into liquid, paddling 50 yards then wapahhh.

Yup, North Side.
    You mean East side of bridge. That area and then to the west of the bridge to Little Creek gets ridable waves fairly often during noreasters. I've even seen Oceanview pier in Norfolk head high before. Too much junk in the water in Oceanview though, I wouldn't surf it unless I was real familiar with the exact spot.

Images
    Yeah, the North/West VB. East of the bridge. I always referred to it as "Norfolk" but technically the it's the North end of VB.

Images
    Very Good Point.

Images
    hhi.JPG

I put a red dot on the beach at the end of my street here on Hilton Head. This wouldn't be a "Bay Wave" but that is "Intracoastal waterway" technically that is in between the North end of HHI and Hunting Island to the North. So, look at the map. You can see that pretty big opening. So, i primarily fish over there, but on some stormy windy days, I have seen some waist high chop moving through the sound there. One of these days, with the right swell angle and some SE wind on it, the place is going to work. I can feel it. I will have to time it right and avoid the men in the grey suits, but it has to work. They dumped a ton of sand out and made a HUGE sand bar that juts out almost 1/2 mile into the sound. With a low to mid tide and some swell wrapping in there, I am convinced that it could be the closest thing to a Point Break in this state.

I will keep you posted. Me and another of the SI homies that lives on HHI have discussed this a few times. Timing is everything.

There is a spot just like this in SD and it would fire a few times of year.

There is a spot just like this in SD and it would fire a few times of year.

Q Basin?