LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    looks like you took that pic through fiberglass cloth

looks fun tho
    [0v0]
    [___]

Is it worth surfing these sh!tty little waves for this?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2613526...y-kills-md-man

Good to see ya' postin lately Koki, hope all is well in the Koki Powers kingdom. KP code!

No surf is worth a flesh-eating bacterial infection. Except for maybe a penile surf in Gisele Bundchen Bay.

Between occasional sinus infections after a surf and a bacterially colonized wetsuit, I have to wonder what else is lurking on the other side of a healthy immune system.

I imagine the LI Sound breaks more often than the smaller bays in the Tri-State area. After a winter or spring North wind is howling at 20+ mph for three days, there's got to be something. There's a kiteboarding spot near Stony Brook that has a sandbar which could work wonders... Kitecrew, Seldom, and Northshore people, please weigh in!

Buckroe beach can have some fun waves with the right NE swell. But like lee said, if the bay waves are good the ocean waves are usually better.
    Could never get anyone to surf it with me based on this logic. However I say it all depends on your outlook. When the wind is still kicking and the ocean is still all churned up OH junk ... at buckroe you are enjoying fun size, shallow (requiring no intense ice cream headache inducing paddle out), peaky, and rippable waves while everyone else is waiting on the clean up. If you catch grandview as the wind turns you won't be disappointed (it straightens itself out and lines up pretty easily compared to the Atlantic) even if its twice the size in the ocean.

Bunch of times I did double duty and surfed Hampton in the morning and hit the ocean front for the afternoon/late clean up. Of course I had the time to do it because I worked for Isle of Wight public schools where it floods/ freezes easy so we were always guaranteed to have NEsters and Topical storms off...that and Hampton was the closest surf spot. Most all the guys that surf there are from the Peninsula. No one is driving 45 minutes from Virginia Beach regardless of photographic evidence. Added to that, its a tricky spot with a high skunk factor and takes considerable effort to get dialed in. I don't know that I ever surfed it more than 6-10 days in a year but Hampton has some occasional gems. From the first time I surfed it in '99 ...Floyd(?) was throwing stand up barrels... until the last time I surfed it in 2009 the crowds still consisted of 3-5 dudes.
    Last edited by Stranded in Smithfield; Jul 31, 2014 at 05:47 AM.

5. Driving the Bay Bridge Tunnel a while back there was a perfect point break breaking on the North side. Don't know if its accessible but it was going off and about chest high. Would have been a hell of a longboard wave.

Yea, it gets surfed. My biggest problem with these novelty waves and exploration around here in general, is that the 'good window' can be so small that I am not wasting time checking five spots or anything...more like quickly changed and it's on. I like seeing Ryan's pic here but I doubt I'd have the patience for them, at least the way I feel now, if there is any, ANY, energy left, I am in the hurry to paddle out.
    I bet on what I know..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post
    Good to see ya' postin lately Koki, hope all is well in the Koki Powers kingdom. KP code!

No surf is worth a flesh-eating bacterial infection. Except for maybe a penile surf in Gisele Bundchen Bay.

Between occasional sinus infections after a surf and a bacterially colonized wetsuit, I have to wonder what else is lurking on the other side of a healthy immune system.

I imagine the LI Sound breaks more often than the smaller bays in the Tri-State area. After a winter or spring North wind is howling at 20+ mph for three days, there's got to be something. There's a kiteboarding spot near Stony Brook that has a sandbar which could work wonders... Kitecrew, Seldom, and Northshore people, please weigh in!
    Man I love these Bay threads and pics. So as far as the LIS on my side(CT)...I've definitely seen it rideable, for CT we need a sustained South wind at 20-25...more of a novelty thing than actual wave-y goodness, but I've seen dudes paddle out at Hammonasset with waist high waves...also some dude posted a pic of a while back from the East end of LI, in the Sound, of a spot that looked really good, I'll see if I could dig it up...

Quote Originally Posted by CJsurf View Post
    Driving the Bay Bridge Tunnel a while back there was a perfect point break breaking on the North side. Don't know if its accessible but it was going off and about chest high. Would have been a hell of a longboard wave.
    That's Fishermans Island. You can surf it (and people do) provided you don't set foot on the protected land there. You have to anchor a boat off the beach and paddle to the break.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    No one is driving 45 minutes from Virginia Beach regardless of photographic evidence.
    I actually do this all the time. Like you said, when a big nor'easter is blowing, it can get really fun in grandview.

Chix beach