LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

go out on a limb

i'm reasonably sure i need to schedule a sick day next week for a dr's appt. given all currently available info, if you were here in SE NC, what day next week would you want to be off? i'm thinking Wednesday, 8/6...

Jinx

that is the day i leave for richmond, va

that automatically means there will be waves then

Images
    Tuesday or Wednesday. As of now, the swell is "showing" on the radars a week from today.

I surfed for about two hours this morning. Waist high and clean. Couple of the locals and the town shaper was down there. Started chatting with them.

They said, "dude, you ready for next week? you can ditch that long board for a while"...

"Tuesday, right?" I replied.

"Yup, they said".... "Bertha"

"It's actually named Bel Mar" I stated.

"K" they said, with a puzzled look.

So, not only are the SC locals that have been surfing and shaping here for 40 years claiming the swell, they have also given it a name. The wrong name, but still a name.

You guys in Southern NC are due a little later, so maybe Wednesday, but I wouldn't put all my eggs on a Wednesday basket at this point, because you never know, the swell could peak over night and leave nothing on Wednesday. Who knows though. Wait until Friday and make the call.

I already have tuesday morning cleared anyway, but Wednesday will be a late arrival if there is anything left.

Aint no jinxing either. Unless the thing completely moves south, which isn't likely, we are in for something for sure. Just hopefully not a direct hit. The outlook today has it veering north towards poor old Buxton again. Fancy that.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Tuesday or Wednesday. Just hopefully not a direct hit. The outlook today has it veering north towards poor old Buxton again. Fancy that.
    please don't hit new jersey.

if you say it three times fast it removes the jinx.

Images
    Yeah man, no doubt. Fingers crossed down here. This game we play is always a dicey "be careful what you wish for" deal. Looking at the updates as of today, not that it means much, but it is tracking slightly northward day by day. 2 days ago, it was aimed at the SC/GA border, now it is projecting an upswing towards Hatteras. But if it continues do what it is doing, it may swing North very soon and miss the mid-Atlantic completely. That may also take away some juice for the SE. But I would take mediocre tropical swell over anything epic to avoid impending doom for anyone's home. regardless of where they are.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post

if you say it three times fast it removes the jinx.
    it also makes beetlejuice show up in the lineup at belmar

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Tuesday or Wednesday. As of now, the swell is "showing" on the radars a week from today.

I surfed for about two hours this morning. Waist high and clean. Couple of the locals and the town shaper was down there. Started chatting with them.

They said, "dude, you ready for next week? you can ditch that long board for a while"...

"Tuesday, right?" I replied.

"Yup, they said".... "Bertha"

"It's actually named Bel Mar" I stated.

"K" they said, with a puzzled look.

So, not only are the SC locals that have been surfing and shaping here for 40 years claiming the swell, they have also given it a name. The wrong name, but still a name.

You guys in Southern NC are due a little later, so maybe Wednesday, but I wouldn't put all my eggs on a Wednesday basket at this point, because you never know, the swell could peak over night and leave nothing on Wednesday. Who knows though. Wait until Friday and make the call.

I already have tuesday morning cleared anyway, but Wednesday will be a late arrival if there is anything left.

Aint no jinxing either. Unless the thing completely moves south, which isn't likely, we are in for something for sure. Just hopefully not a direct hit. The outlook today has it veering north towards poor old Buxton again. Fancy that.
    Its still way too south for my liking, still a chance she goes towards the gulf. But if the models still have her veering north by Friday, than we can talk guarantees of swell.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    Its still way too south for my liking, still a chance she goes towards the gulf. But if the models still have her veering north by Friday, than we can talk guarantees of swell.
    Yeah, we all played this game last week. The system went over the islands and into the gulf and just died. Nobody got anything. But this one looks different. With that big black center, and 50ft swell chop all around it, and she is getting pulled northward by the second, I have much more hope here.

No swell ever even went into the data models on the last one. Noaa and every other source in the world has this thing on the radar and some form of swell because of it.

It will be like every other storm. It will start by saying its going to be 18 feet, then 6-8, then 5-7, then 3-4, then back to 6-8...

All I want is something. I am not picky these days.

Images
    i was counting on the collective wisdom of the SI hive-mind to nail down the best day. of course, the thread would derail almost immediately and wander off on several tangents - that i could have predicted with a fair degree of certainty.