LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Fins?

Modifying Fins?

I got a new pair of fins, the 5" Vipers, yellow dot.
    They're really comfortable but I think they've got too
    much thrust for me--I've got a fallen arch in my left
    foot and after using the fins a few times I've got a
    sharp pain on the outside of the foot if I try to kick
    with the fins on. I'm gonna wait for the foot to recover
    and then try using them again, but I really can't afford to
    screw up that foot more than it already is--so before I go and shell
    out $40-$50 for yet another pair of fins, I'm thinking
    of cutting these down a bit to try and reduce the thrust.
    I know that people cut a bit off the blade of one of their
    fins for drop-knee riding, but does anyone do it just to
    reduce thrust? And if so, how much would you cut off, and
    would you cut them at an angle so they'd have blades like
    churchills, or just cut them straight across?

TIA

Images
    Instead of cutting off the fin straight across. The ridge that goes along the fin (stiff part) just cut a little slot inbetween that and the rest of it. This will give the fin more flex without losing area that you kick with. It will leave you with more capable thrusting power but it will be flexible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Instead of cutting off the fin straight across. The ridge that goes along the fin (stiff part) just cut a little slot inbetween that and the rest of it. This will give the fin more flex without losing area that you kick with. It will leave you with more capable thrusting power but it will be flexible as well.
    On both sides? I imagine you mean to cut a little 'V' shaped notch out of it? Sounds like a good idea.

Also, what would you use to cut it with--it's really thick tough rubber and I don't think regular scissors will work.

Thanks!

Images
    I don't know exactly what your fins look like. But I got churchills. The stiff part that runs along the sides which gives it the thrust. If you were just to cut a straight line (or a very thin V) to ensure that the fin is still there. It would give the nose of the fin a lot of flex. Just enough so that the fin will flex in the middle. After you do that, you can always cut the stiff part off later when you have it where you want it if you don't want those stiff things just kinda sticking out.

Make sure you don't cut too far. Its better to go small, test it out then cut again if you need to.

Box cutter? Razor blade? Those should work cutting it. Don't do it with your foot in the fin

OK, that sounds good. They've got vertical side rails down each side of the blade, similar to the churchills, but higher I think. Maybe an Exacto knife will work. thanks.

Images
    Good luck

ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    OK, that sounds good. They've got vertical side rails down each side of the blade, similar to the churchills, but higher I think. Maybe an Exacto knife will work. thanks.
    I used both a utility knife and scissors to modify my left churchill fin. I cut slowly with the scissors first then carved out the remaining rubber with the utility knife. Good luck!

BTW...Exacto knives are great for precision cutting (pics, paper, posters, etc) but I'm not sure if the blade can handle cutting through pretty thick rubber.....just a thought....

Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks

*this is not subliminal messaging*

Really???

Quote Originally Posted by Spongah View Post
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks
    Kicks

*this is not subliminal messaging*
    HAAAHAA...really? We've never personally seen kicks available at our local surf shops...are they online order only?? I have to look these critters up! I had the worst stage 2 to 3 pressure/shearing going on due to a larger left foot...right below the ankle on the bony prominence. Anywho...I'm going to go research KICKS