LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

I was a kook today

I've been riding my 7'6" funboard all spring and summer long.
    Today I took out the 6'4" swallowtail I picked up the other day and blew it. I got up on two waves but they weren't official. I'm guessing I need more practice before I get on a shortboard.
    What makes a good transition board after a funshape?

Images
    that's a big step down (14 inches)...i'd also look at width comp. then thickness (but I think that might matter more once you're up) and don't forget rocker difference

a new challenge and change of scenery is always good though, keeps things interesting

two waves and you think you (blew it, sucked, lost your heat, etc) need to transition?

blow like 50 waves and then post

Cool

You weren't a kook. You were learning a new board. You've never paddled it. Sat on it. ANYthing. You're making a transition to a different shape man. Be easy on yourself and just Surf. You're not going to pop up and Rip. Remember how long it took you to even just Stand on that 7'6 fun board? This is all part of it brother. Again, go easy on yourself. 2 waves...hahahaha! That's like throwing 2 kicks and saying you suck at kung fu.
    Right now your body and mind are quietly working and adjusting while you're Out of the water. The board will feel more familiar next session and You'll get better every session as the board feels more familiar, and one wave it will just "click".
    Then you can come back here. Read what you wrote, and Really feel like a kook.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by your pier View Post
    that's a big step down (14 inches)...i'd also look at width comp. then thickness (but I think that might matter more once you're up) and don't forget rocker difference

a new challenge and change of scenery is always good though, keeps things interesting
    Yeah I wanted to test myself but obviously I chose something a bit too small. Good thing is that I got the board for a steal and will likely make money from selling it. I should probably just stick with my funshape and keep learning the roots.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kpd73 View Post
    You weren't a kook. You were learning a new board. You've never paddled it. Sat on it. ANYthing. You're making a transition to a different shape man. Be easy on yourself and just Surf. You're not going to pop up and Rip. Remember how long it took you to even just Stand on that 7'6 fun board? This is all part of it brother. Again, go easy on yourself. 2 waves...hahahaha! That's like throwing 2 kicks and saying you suck at kung fu.
    Right now your body and mind are quietly working and adjusting while you're Out of the water. The board will feel more familiar next session and You'll get better every session as the board feels more familiar, and one wave it will just "click".
    Then you can come back here. Read what you wrote, and Really feel like a kook.
    Haha I like the optimism and I appreciate the input. I'm sure it will click eventually but it just might take a little while on the smaller boards. Regardless I am going to look at today as a lesson.

Paddle the shortboard a mile to get used to it. Then sit way inside and only go for the steep ones that suck out before they break. Eat it a few times for about three hours, then you'll be able to surf it. Just get to your feet a lot quicker than you are used to. Pop up fast ... use that as a mantra. Post back after four hours of self abuse and I'll bet you will be stoked.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kander29 View Post
    I've been riding my 7'6" funboard all spring and summer long.
    Today I took out the 6'4" swallowtail I picked up the other day and blew it. I got up on two waves but they weren't official. I'm guessing I need more practice before I get on a shortboard.
    What makes a good transition board after a funshape?
    Keep in mind that fun shapes didn't really exist before about 1995 at least that I ever saw. So unless you are over maybe 180 pounds you could just "practice" on the 6'4" instead of the funshape. Assuming its not some kind of chipped out step up board, which it probably isn't if its a swallow. If its over 19 inches wide then its probably a good enough transition, again unless your a big dude riding mushy waves all the time. Stick with it for a lot more than two waves. If you use it for 10 sessions in a row, really try to dial it in, and still don't have any fun, its not the right board.
    Last edited by mitchell; Aug 4, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

The "transition" is to get spanked a few more times. Keep trying. You'll be surprised how you'll do second time, third time out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Keep in mind that fun shapes didn't really exist before about 1995 at least that I ever saw. So unless you are over maybe 180 pounds you could just "practice" on the 6'4". Assuming its not some kind of chipped out step up board. If its over 19 inches wide then its probably a good enough transition, again unless your a big dude riding mushy waves all the time. Stick with it for a lot more than two waves.
    Yeah you've got me rethinking it now.
    It would be nice to keep because it is in perfect condition and I do really like it.
    The dimensions are: 6'4"x20"x2.5" and I am 170lbs and 5'8" tall.