LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feet burn

Images

Feet burn

So, I can't believe this is the first time this has ever happened, because I never take flip flops onto the beach. But from the walk up the trail to the water just burnt the **** out of both of my feet. I could feel it blazing the whole time I was walking. I eventually broke into a skip =) but at any rate. After a few waves, I hopped off one and I could feel some loose skin on my left foot. When i paddled back out I inspected and both of my feet had some little boils on them and I could see that the top layer of skin had detached in a few places.

Didn't really hurt that bad while I was surfing. but I can barely walk right now. I just did a bow legged walk of shame back into the office. It's about 90 degrees out today, and while I usually surf in the mornings, I still have gone out a ton of times here mid day.

My feet are jacked now. I guess I am going to have to peel the skin off and let it start healing, unless you fine gentlemen (and Betty) have any advice for this particular ailment.

I have had a lot of random little bumps and bruises over the years from surfing, but I have never injured myself walking from the truck to the water....

Pretty silly injury, but a painful, very annoying one. And yes, from now on, flip flops will be stashed on a dune.... But dang... I have NEVER had this happen before. There was no shade to walk on, nothing. Just straight john blaze sand.

Images
    Don't peel the skin off dude let it blister.

Images
    Yeah, I have been googling it and that is what everyone is saying. It's just a bad place to have it. I can't imagine it staying intact with me walking around and stuff. It was shifting around with the sand under my feet as I was walking back. I was trying to walk kind of on the sides of my feet. I am sure I looked pretty ridiculous.

So far the most common comments are: Dont Peel it. Use Aloe. Use Vasaline. And let them cool down before any treatment.

I will give it a few hours and hope it's not as bad as it feels.

I mean, who the hell gets hurt walking on the trail to the beach? stupid. stupid. stupid.

Images
    Rub some aloe on it. Maybe there's some plants around your office or home. Snap a leaf off and rub the goo in. It will provide some cooling and aid the burn healing.

That sand down south gets rather scalding. I was in VA a couple weeks ago and when I hit the extremely hot sand (very sunny day, mid day), stopped, and went back to get some flip flops. I've singed my feet before .. no fun.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by capecodcdog View Post
    Rub some aloe on it. Maybe there's some plants around your office or home. Snap a leaf off and rub the goo in. It will provide some cooling and aid the burn healing.

That sand down south gets rather scalding. I was in VA a couple weeks ago and when I hit the extremely hot sand (very sunny day, mid day), stopped, and went back to get some flip flops. I've singed my feet before .. no fun.
    I was on a long lunch break mission. All I had was a pair of boardies in the truck to change into and my work shoes. No flip flops. I really didn't think it was going to be that bad. By the time I was half way down the trail, I figured, f it, too late to go back.

Lesson learned for sure, but like I said. I have spent probably 50-60 full days on the beach between this year and last in the summer. Walking back and forth on it. Never had an issue like this.

Maybe I will just go boss from now on and rock booties to the water. I am sure I would get a ton of dirty looks and questions. "Why you wearing booties bro, the water is 87"... "don't worry about it guy".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post

Maybe I will just go boss from now on and rock booties to the water. I am sure I would get a ton of dirty looks and questions. "Why you wearing booties bro, the water is 87"... "don't worry about it guy".
    Maybe you need an old pair of sneakers (a.k.a lawn mowing shoes) in your truck, kept behind your seat. Wear them up to your entry point. Leave'm on the each during the sesh. No one will steal an old stinky pair of sneaks. Slip'm on (outfit'm with Y-ties to convert to loafers ) for the return trip. And don't worry, you won't be called a shoebie down south.
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Aug 6, 2014 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capecodcdog View Post
    Rub some aloe on it.
    This. I've been blowing glass since I was 14 years old, I have a lot of aloe around. There's none growing around the restaurant? One time I stuck my index finger right into a full blast torch flame, 3600 F. Burnt it black, I put the $500 piece I had just finished (I was admiring it instead of paying attention, such a dumbass) in the kiln, wiped away the soot and the skin underneath was as hard as leather. Kept wiping and the skin started sloughing off. Couldn't even feel it. Then. Worst burn I've eve had, starving artist, no health care at the time too. So I did the home remedy thing. Kept the whole finger wrapped in fresh aloe spears for a week with some tape, used those instead of a bandage. Next 2 weeks I kept putting aloe on it pretty much 24/7. 6 weeks later it looked good as newish, only no finger nail. Aloe FTW

I've burnt my feet walking on hot sand to blister plenty of times, but the worse I ever got it was when I fell passed out facedown in the sand at Assateague after an all night drive from Stroudsburg, PA at 7AM and didn't wake up until after noon. I ended up with the worst sunburn blisters I've ever on the bottom of my feet, back of my legs, neck, forearms and palms of my hands. Thank g-d I was wearing a shirt. At least feet heal quickly. And like Seldom said, "don't pop it" and don't pick at it!

another "i like to skip thread" from zach

Ouch, that's painful. I guess infections the main concern. I would see or call doc for advice. Find a way to keep the feet really clean 24/7.

http://www.podiatrym.com/cme/CME%20Mar12.pdf
    Last edited by Betty; Aug 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM.

the foot is the worse place for an injury. soak them in salt water and peroxide. I got stabbed in the foot twice. 1st time it went bad fast. ended up with gangrene and missed the Gloria swell and was out of work for 3 months. good luck.

elevate them poor puppies.