LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South florida

Cool South florida

I am starting to look at buying a second home in Florida for winter warmth. What's the farthest South you can go in Florida and not regularly have the swell blocked by the Bahamas? I can look at a map, obviously, but I was just wondering if any one had any observations other than "it all sucks, so don't move down here and add to the crowd at my break."

thanks.

Hutchinson Island…if you have the cash. The place is freakin gorgeous and has some real nice reefs.

I cant answer your question but I would get a place close to sebastian/spanish if I was you. Beautiful beaches, pretty undevelpoed, and the waves get good often. Hutchinson is a good call too....have fun

Quote Originally Posted by ukelelesurf View Post
    I cant answer your question but I would get a place close to sebastian/spanish if I was you. Beautiful beaches, pretty undevelpoed, and the waves get good often. Hutchinson is a good call too....have fun
    +1 Sebastian Inlet North, Ft. Pierce still gets some too, but it drops off starting there as far as consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by waytooold View Post
    I am starting to look at buying a second home in Florida for winter warmth. What's the farthest South you can go in Florida and not regularly have the swell blocked by the Bahamas? I can look at a map, obviously, but I was just wondering if any one had any observations other than "it all sucks, so don't move down here and add to the crowd at my break."

thanks.
    I would say northern Palm Beach County is the southern limit for Bahamian blockage. South of there the swell window gets pretty narrow. Believe me, I live in south Broward. It is also closest to the Gulfstream and the continental shelf so the water stays warm and has the least swell decay. I don't think anywhere rocked harder during Sandy than Pumphouse.

However, if I were in your shoes, I'd look somewhere from Fort Pierce to Cocoa. That puts you in the middle of things and you can easily go an hour or two north or south depending upon conditions. Personally I like that the Sebastian area isn't so heavily developed (yet).

Images
    Here's my $.02., the furthest south you would want to go is Stuart, Hutchinson Island (Martin County) and as previously stated, hope you got some cash, you still get a really good east swell, but anything southeast, forget about it, you will be running north. And that's the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me bajeezus.

You can get a house for a fair price in Sebastian on the mainland, zip across the bridge and you're at the beach, Melbourne is cheaper and has some nice surf spots, property taxes cheaper in Melbourne too, than Sebastian and Martin County. Saint Lucie county is affordable. If you believe the news though, it's got a lot of poverty and crime. Welcome to Florida, aka Paradise

Melbourne Beach. Good value for the money and a decent area. Further north on the beach in Brevard gets pretty low end neighborhood wise, but cheap if that's what you want. Melbourne proper is OK, but put it this way, I used to live there and if I moved back to FL, it wouldn't be there. I wouldn't go anywhere south of Vero though if you want the best chance for waves.

Baja mexico is cheaper and better waves.

I'd check brevard county. Looked at a school there and homes were cheap..er

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    You can get a house for a fair price in Sebastian on the mainland, zip across the bridge and you're at the beach, Melbourne is cheaper and has some nice surf spots, property taxes cheaper in Melbourne too, than Sebastian and Martin County. Saint Lucie county is affordable. If you believe the news though, it's got a lot of poverty and crime. Welcome to Florida, aka Paradise
    I haven't looked in a few years, but a couple of years ago, I was looking at Melbourne and I was blown away at the housing prices. They had 4 bedrooms, with back yard and pool 2 blocks off the beach in the 120s-150s. I was shocked.