LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    From what I hear its worse than that. GSI ships large quantities of boards to shops and don't require payment until the board actually sells.

This should make everyone real nervous

Thanks man. I actually spoke with him a few weeks ago and will call him again when I am ready. Danny Callahan of DCAL surfboards has also been in my sights for a local custom.
    +1 for DCAL- Got a custom Pinecone from Danny 2 months ago built based on knowing the breaks i surf- my ability and weight. Worth every penny- and supports the local stoke.

Pinecone squashes look fun. He is one who does a good job letting the public in on what he is working on.... And he was super responsive to my calls....And he can surf from what I saw on his site of him in indo.

Quote Originally Posted by torn891 View Post
    +1 for DCAL- Got a custom Pinecone from Danny 2 months ago built based on knowing the breaks i surf- my ability and weight. Worth every penny- and supports the local stoke.

Yes, I know about CB. I do not agree with you on other parts of your post but dont care enough to publicly argue. Also trying to watch billabong pro and work at same time. Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    hardly. they've been around for 40+ years at this point & while they have several thousand devotees around the world, i wouldn't say that are "in" now any more than they've ever been.. i'm certainly an outspoken proponent, but i rarely see someone else riding a bonzer in my area.
    & having a website is hardly the same as the kind of advertising & marketing that the bigger names do...ci, lost, rusty, etc...even gsi. i've been places where other surfers have never even heard of the bonzer, let alone seen one in person.

& i've been saying this for a while now, but i've come to believe that surfers have become too dependent on volume. wetted surface area is far more important, i think, as long as the board is w/in the surfers volume range. hence why i can ride a 5'6"x21 1/4"x2 5/8" mini b5 or a 5'8"x21 1/8"x2 5/16" bing dharma at 197lbs.
    marketing is bs; people really just need to be honest w/ themselves about how they want to surf & what they want out of their boards. the down the line cruisey types need to stop being told that they want a hpsb type board if they want to progress as a surfer.

I have recently learned I am a complete kook/noob when it comes to boards.how the fuk do u tell the difference between an epoxy and a regular foam board when its not clearly labeled on the belly of the board,and the site for the board ceases to exist.i wanted to fix my recently new board that my roommate dropped a cinderblock on,I got so mad with all the bs I was getting on google I just threw the board away,and it was a 400$board,which might not sound expensive but I don't ride al merriks and lost.i would never buy a 700$ board I don't care if it came with a lifetime of pot and food even with metards money.for me it would be like buying a lexus even tho I drive a Toyota,i don't have the ends for that.

just really pissed about what these boards are made out of.my other dinged up board I just wrapped it in that clear moving tape u tape boxes with and it floats fine.i didn't want to use it on the new board because it still looks new and figured id try to fix it.well when thing says pu resin will literally eat ur board alive if its an epoxy.i even looked up al merriks to see what they are made out of and they don't tell u on the ci site.

im all for quantity not quality except for bud,id rather buy a craftsman wrench for 40 bucks then a 600 snap on wrench my brother buys.same goes for surfboards,why spend 800 bucks when u can spend 250?if u have the money then yea ride a 800 dollar board but when it snaps in the shorebreak ur not going to be too happy.i buy all used boards from the local surf shack

What cep said... ride what you can afford, and what makes you happy. And recognize that you're one of the privileged few if you are in a position to make a choice, because most of us aren't.

As for GSI... the way I see it... it's like MacDonald's. You know what you're getting, they're everywhere, and if you're hungry it tastes good. But most of the time, after you eat it, you wish you didn't.

I've eaten my share of Big Macs when I had to, but now I cook my own burgers, and envy the guys who eat Peter Luger.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    I have recently learned I am a complete kook/noob when it comes to boards.how the fuk do u tell the difference between an epoxy and a regular foam board when its not clearly labeled on the belly of the board,and the site for the board ceases to exist.i wanted to fix my recently new board that my roommate dropped a cinderblock on,I got so mad with all the bs I was getting on google I just threw the board away,and it was a 400$board,which might not sound expensive but I don't ride al merriks and lost.i would never buy a 700$ board I don't care if it came with a lifetime of pot and food even with metards money.for me it would be like buying a lexus even tho I drive a Toyota,i don't have the ends for that.

just really pissed about what these boards are made out of.my other dinged up board I just wrapped it in that clear moving tape u tape boxes with and it floats fine.i didn't want to use it on the new board because it still looks new and figured id try to fix it.well when thing says pu resin will literally eat ur board alive if its an epoxy.i even looked up al merriks to see what they are made out of and they don't tell u on the ci site.

im all for quantity not quality except for bud,id rather buy a craftsman wrench for 40 bucks then a 600 snap on wrench my brother buys.same goes for surfboards,why spend 800 bucks when u can spend 250?if u have the money then yea ride a 800 dollar board but when it snaps in the shorebreak ur not going to be too happy.i buy all used boards from the local surf shack
    This stuff works alright. I find it is a bit tacky afterwards unlike regular poly SunCure, but it is safe on both and has "endless shelf life".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBPibn_UqF0

cep,

just got a brand new quiet flight for $520. best board ... for the price.... i could find.

i don't ride $800 dollar boards bro.

metard

Images

Dood. Go back to the dump and find that board. Epoxy goes on poly just fine. When in doubt pull the epoxy out.

the board was pretty ravaged it wasn't a small ding,a cinderblock fell on it.it was probably like an 8inch gash that went a quarter inch deep.i was hoping to save it but couldn't figure the shyt out.never thought something so simple would be complicated.oh yea and I noticed my left fin was gone too and my leash.i don't get it,nobody surfs in my house but me where the fuk did my leash and fin go.i bet its buried under a bunch of crap in the yard