LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

Billabong Pro Teahupoo 2014

So today is the first day of the waiting period for this amazing event. They are calling for massive surf later in the week into early next week.

Any bold predictions? What does your fantasy team look like? Will Kelly win? How bout JJF? Mick?

How bout another Code Red? I wanna see Nathan Fletcher out there again!!!

i like medina.
    and nat. and JJF.

jjf. did you see the article on surfline about his boards for tahiti? How is the biggest board the kid rides is a 6'6 for tahiti and pipe/backdoor? I understand the idea of small boards with more volume in the front for extra paddle power with a pulled in tail for getting in under the lip for these dudes, but damn.
    Last edited by nkh422; Aug 15, 2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: punctuation

Also, did you check the volumes on his boards? The dude is 6'1 170 and his volumes are 26 or something. Man I feel like a loser I am just a few pounds heavier and my boards are in the low to mid 30s. Then again, JJ and I having very little in common when it comes to surfing

I saw that, pretty ridiculous. Funny that he didn't worry about the dimensions. Just length, model, tail shape, 3 fins.

Most of the guys won't ride much bigger than 6'6 in Tahiti

Quote Originally Posted by nkh422 View Post
    jjf. did you see the article on surfline about his boards for tahiti? How is the biggest board the kid rides is a 6'6 for tahiti and pipe/backdoor? I understand the idea of small boards with more volume in the front for extra paddle power with a pulled in tail for getting in under the lip for these dudes, but damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Most of the guys won't ride much bigger than 6'6 in Tahiti
    same goes for pipe I think, with a few exceptions. reminds me of that nuts cloudbreak contest a couple of years ago when that swell went nuts and all they had was smallish boards given the conditions. I know they're mostly not really big guys, but still.

"Most" ASP pros are like 150-160 lbs, 5'8-5'10
    Small dudes, beyond fit and obviously extremely skilled surfers. A 6'6 would suit them fine in most bigger surf, especially the way boards are made now with some extra volume and width hidden in the boards.

I chalk it up to impressive sets of skills and balls.

Quote Originally Posted by nkh422 View Post
    Yes I just saw Kelly's quiver for the trip on his facebook page:

6'1 x 18 1/4 x 2 3/8 SP12
    5'11 x 18 1/4 x 2 5/16 SP12
    5'11 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/2 in center with a tapered rail (modified Fred Rubble/Deep Six)
    5'10 x 181/4 x 2 5/16 Semi Pro
    5'9 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 Fred Rubble

Yes, the biggest board he brought to Teahu****ingpoo is 6'1 x 18 1/4 x 2 3/8. That's nuts.