LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
    Best show in a while. Too bad they all can't be as good as this one was!

Watch Lairds wave and watch replay of yesterday... Laird's was WAY heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Granted Chopes has no back to its wave so the "wave height" is up for constant argument, but how big do you think the biggest faces paddled into were yesterday and how big was the Laird wave? 14 years is a long time for progression even if that was a tow-in.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Watch Lairds wave and watch replay of yesterday... Laird's was WAY heavier.
    Yeah I mean that wave was unreal, how could it be outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Yeah I mean that wave was unreal, how could it be outdated?
    koa rothman would like to have a word with you

So would Nathan Fletcher and Bruce Irons. Guys are towing in to much bigger waves than Laird's, but not paddling.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post

Thanks for giving me nightmares for weeks

Surfer has a good interview with Medina that just went up.

an interesting quote:

After you won those World Tour events, many put their money on you to be the first to bring the world title to Brazil. How did you deal with that?

Brazil is very “needy” of champions. It’s even more so with surfing, because we’ve never won the title. I mean, to have people believe you can be a world champion is awesome....

http://www.surfermag.com/features/ga...ina-interview/

Brazilians have a feverish patriotism and nationalism, much more than most countries.
    They are needy of champions because the vast majority of people there live in squalor and poverty.
    They need something to give them hope, like a soccer team or a surfing champion.
    You never hear Kelly Slater claiming how great the USA is in all his wins. Probably because 99% of Americans could care less about professional surfing.
    But Brazilian nationalism translates into aggressive surfing in the water.
    If winning a world title means the average Brazzo surfer will chill out a little bit in the lineup, I'm all for it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Brazilians have a feverish patriotism and nationalism, much more than most countries.
    They are needy of champions because the vast majority of people there live in squalor and poverty.
    They need something to give them hope, like a soccer team or a surfing champion.
    You never hear Kelly Slater claiming how great the USA is in all his wins. Probably because 99% of Americans could care less about professional surfing.
    But Brazilian nationalism translates into aggressive surfing in the water.
    If winning a world title means the average Brazzo surfer will chill out a little bit in the lineup, I'm all for it.
    Yeah, I was going for Germany all the way in the WC, but when I saw those people from Brazil react to the loss, I felt really bad. I mean, it was like 100,000 grown men, women, children, sobbing, like the world just ended. Throw em a bone man. If it means that much to them for surfing too, sh**, I hope somebody wins it there.

It's like the Mexican nationalism. They are prideful people. They put soccer on a pedestal Because a lot of their reality is pretty harsh. Maybe someday Mexico will win the WC, but I doubt it. At least Brazil has won 5 WCs. Thats really what matters to them.

so you're saying Medina isn't the champion we want but the one WE NEED?